Home Main Category Clubhouse

Does Anybody Here Log Their Food?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,733 Senior Member
... via apps such as MyFitnessPal, FitBit, etc?

Lately, out of curiosity, I've been logging my food in addition to tracking my daily caloric intake, heart rate, etc with a FitBit device (I could care less about the steps). While I lead a very active lifestyle, I'm also a big snacker (trail mix, sunflower seeds, beef jerkey, and peanut butter crackers are my main vice) and tracking everything I eat has been a big eye opener. Alcohol also accounts for way more calories than I realized.

By my estimation, I was averaging between breaking even and a 300-500 calorie surplus EACH DAY prior to tracking my food, despite averaging burning 3500 calories per day. This explains my relatively high body fat in relation to my activity level. I'm now shooting for a 300-500 calorie deficit each day with the goal of 10% body fat (currently at 18-22% depending on which testing platform is used).
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    I never did and got fat several times.

I, now, just rely on the morning weigh-in and if it is near my tgt; I do not worry about it.

If the weigh-in is below that tgt, I eat more.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Only when it passes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Only when it passes.

That is logging it out ain't it, not in :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,727 Senior Member
    When I get a little chunky, I go to a low carb diet. 2 months ago I was at 225# (6'2"), I am now at 208 by limiting carbs.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Obsessively when I am dieting.

Once you get used to the amounts you don't need to track and can keep it in your head, but I have used Myfitnesspal extensively.

It boils down to no sugar, no fat, no flour if possible. One ounce of butter has about 250 calories. A huge salad with 3 oz of chicken and one tablespoon of dressing has about 250 calories. One makes me feel full, the other does not. One ounce of peanuts ( about 25 pieces) is 160 calories. Two large carrots and an apple are about the same 150 calories.

I am eating 1800 calories a day for a 700 calorie a day deficiet and loss of 1.5 lbs per week. Works extremely well for me.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    My wife is religious about logging all her food. Me.... Never.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Obsessively when I am dieting.

Once you get used to the amounts you don't need to track and can keep it in your head, but I have used Myfitnesspal extensively.

It boils down to no sugar, no fat, no flour if possible. One ounce of butter has about 250 calories. A huge salad with 3 oz of chicken and one tablespoon of dressing has about 250 calories. One makes me feel full, the other does not. One ounce of peanuts ( about 25 pieces) is 160 calories. Two large carrots and an apple are about the same 150 calories.

I am eating 1800 calories a day for a 700 calorie a day deficiet and loss of 1.5 lbs per week. Works extremely well for me.

D

This pretty much. No sugar, no fat, no dairy, minimize carbs (breads, pasta). Eat all the raw fruits and veggies you want. Besides fruits/veggies, no snacking :nono:. EASY weight loss.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Nope. Don't do that. When I start gaining I just cut back on the food, and get a little more exercise. Ain't no way I'm cutting out my sausage and biscuits or bacon and biscuits for breakfast. Or the occasional sausage gravy and biscuits. It's a lot easier for me to cut out one meal entirely than to give up the good stuff. And cornbread; I love it and won't give it up, either.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I do when I am dieting. But I do it in a notebook
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Have never had an issue with weight gain or loss. When I finished high school and joined the Navy in 1957, my medical records show that I weighed 138 lbs. When I wound up just as "Desert Storm" was going down, I weighed 138 lbs! If I jump on our "certified scale" in the morning, I'll weigh 136 to 138! I think it must be largely a genetically influenced thing. None of my people--either parent's side--has ever had a weight problem. I do grow some (maybe 1/3rd) of what my family eats, and I grow organically. But if I want an "RC Cola and a Moon Pie" I'll go get it!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Don't diet ... eat smart! No soda or sweet tea. Bread is your enemy even though rolls rule! Complex carbs are way better than simple sugars in maintaining energy levels but they still need to be watched. Obviously baked vs fried foods but watch the add ons and their fat content. Fruits and veggies can be deceiving ... a banana has twice the sugar/cards as an apple ... carrots, peas and corn contain 3 or more times carbs than say broccoli or spinach. You can eat smart and be full if you make smart choices.

Now as to alcohol, liquor (especially clear ones) are fair but liqueurs are bad ... and mixers can be the worst. Gin or vodka tonics, dry martinis, etc are okay but whiskey sours, margaritas and other sweet drink are the devil. Forgive the sacrilege, but light beers aren't that bad for the carbs if you can drink 'em.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    Apps?

Dude. . .I finally figured out how to post thumbnail-sized pics here a couple years ago. W T F do you want from me?

But no. Wouldn't even if I was that into microchips. Have a free gym at work - still almost takes a gun to my head to get me in it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I eat food and turn it into logs the next day. Does that count?

Butt seriously, I have done it before just to get an idea of what I am and am not doing wrong. There are some really carb and calorie dense foods out there that you wouldn't know otherwise so it is a great tool to learn to recognize where you are screwing up in your diet. Once I figured that out, I haven't really seen the need to bother, but I will look up carbs on certain foods from time to time to help me decide what to eat and not eat.

For me, logging everything that I eat over any period of time would be madness. I have learned that if I stick with lower carb foods, I will either maintain or slowly lose weight. If I don't, I will gain. If I stay within those limitations, I have found that I can pretty much eat whatever I want (within the parameters-- that are fairly broad). With that philosophy, I have managed to lose 50 pounds in under a year.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Now as to alcohol, liquor (especially clear ones) are fair but liqueurs are bad ... and mixers can be the worst. Gin or vodka tonics, dry martinis, etc are okay but whiskey sours, margaritas and other sweet drink are the devil. Forgive the sacrilege, but light beers aren't that bad for the carbs if you can drink 'em.

I would rather not drink beer than drink light beer. I literally switched from drinking beer, and vodka and tonics (diet tonic is not worth drinking) to dry wine and vodka/brandy/whiskey on the rocks. I will still have some beers on occasion, but it is rare now.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    No.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,397 Senior Member
    I have eaten a lot of dinners sitting on a log.
    I have made dinner over logs.
    I have slept like a log after dinner.

As to writing it down, why? I am pretty boring with bfast and lunch and except on very few occasions, I dont snack. Since I started exercising the wife has realized that I am getting trimmer, and she wasnt, so dinners have been a lot more healthy. Most of the time I am real good, sometimes I am just good so I figure that if am going out, I am going for it. So far it seems to be working. With a little luck I will be checking in to the other thread by Mon.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Oh yeah, I hog my food every day.....ooops you said log......nevermind!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I just downloaded my log.

A lot of people seem to have a woodchipper and slurry mill attached. Usually shows up on Wed. morning after a rip roaring Taco Tuesday night.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    As long as I don't overdo it with the greens, I log my food pretty well - not the ones that look like a blunt-tail cottonmouth, like when I was young, but maybe a pair of well fed copperheads. I will admit that I do feel better, when I log my food.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I just downloaded my log.

Would you happen to have a picture?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Don't ask questions that you do not want answers to.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jayhawker wrote: »

No no no, we don't wanna see pics of his Logs or Torpedoes...........................:yikes:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just be sure that log has a good taper on the end- - - - - -we don't want anything slamming shut!
    :yikes:
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Don't ask questions that you do not want answers to.

Occasionally we must give cpj a challenge just to see what he comes up with....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Hey, I wonder if animals can recognize human Logs...............I mean we can look at Scat from different critters and tell what it's from......................some so good they can tell ya how long ago it was dropped even.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I have used MyFitnessPal a good bit and it is, indeed, revealing and a great diagnostic tool. I discovered and corrected some bad eating trends in my diet, and it's a great tool to enforce self-discipline. That said, I have changed my diet drastically and haven't used it lately because I'm doing well. Gonna get back into it again as my annual fitness test grows closer. Gonna buckle down hard again this year and see if I can beat my personal best run time for the second year in a row.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    Yes. I had been and will be doing it again. I have everything being tracked by my FitBit. At my zenith, I was 255lbs and 38% Body Fat Index(BFI). Now hovering around 245lbs and 36% BFI. That will start dropping now that I'm back at the gym nightly and watching food intake.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.