Zebra! It's what's cook'n.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,957 Senior Member
For lunch today.

ADCAE552-9385-42D3-AA85-DCDAD204A197_zpsyprdhwp3.jpg

Pepper Poppers
Wild Pig Pork chops
Zebra Bratwurst

Dude, it was serious good!

Put zebra on my list of animals I'd love to hunt.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,822 Senior Member
    For a second I thought it said Zorba!! Whew!!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Damn, Zorba? I bet one of those would be a challenge to clean!!!

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Probably close to Horse Meat, and people been eating that for many years.

Many a grunt probably ate his mule back in the day. I read about when our guys were holding out on Corregidor they ate the mules. So what's a Zebra but a wild mule.....Horses and Mules eat a mainly vegetative diet. They should be like eating Beef!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Why not? Looks good enough to eat....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Crackalackin!

People with small children or grandchildren will recodnize that word.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    That looks delicious!!
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    Wherefore did thou get Zebra? I imagine they have them in Texas (exotic ranches)........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,957 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Wherefore did thou get Zebra? I imagine they have them in Texas (exotic ranches)........

Several ranches in the area have them. A buddy brought it over to cook today.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Cool. Looks tasty.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    There's a zoo somewhere in the southwest that is very confused after roll call in the Africa exhibit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hmmmm.........was it white or dark meat :tooth: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Well *that's* a sausage of a different stripe...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Damn, Zorba? I bet one of those would be a challenge to clean!!!

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:

Yea, yea, yea, yea - its all fun and games until somebody breaks a nail! :cuss:

:jester::roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Mighty fine eatin' there, son. Unless you live in Commiefornia, of course.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Everything in that pan looks GOOD.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Don't tell me what it is and just about any meat cooked right is eatable ...

Man, Philippines flashback :uhm:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

:that::spittingcoffee:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member

I've eaten horse steak and horse hamburgers overseas. Good eats.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I've eaten horse steak and horse hamburgers overseas. Good eats.

You must have picked a real winner (with apologies to Archie Bunker).
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    You must have picked a real winner (with apologies to Archie Bunker).

Oh Goddess, I remember that episode! There were several great one liners in it, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!".

• john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    Well, with the right seasonings and preparation, darn near anything is edible.
    Reminds me of the time Dad fed some close friends a Fox, and none were the wiser.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    That right there, is why I've always thought a "Texas Safari" ain't the worst idea in the world, you get to keep ALL the meat. In Africa, you'll eat what you kill (including EVERYTHING) but only while you're there. Non of it is ever wasted, but it would be nice 6 months after the hunt still being able to eat some eland steak or zebra sausage. Now if only it didn't cost 2x as much!!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    That right there, is why I've always thought a "Texas Safari" ain't the worst idea in the world, you get to keep ALL the meat. In Africa, you'll eat what you kill (including EVERYTHING) but only while you're there. Non of it is ever wasted, but it would be nice 6 months after the hunt still being able to eat some eland steak or zebra sausage. Now if only it didn't cost 2x as much!!

That's the kick. Shooting 1 Zebra here costs as much as maybe 5 plains game there!!!
    Zee wrote: »
    That's the kick. Shooting 1 Zebra here costs as much as maybe 5 plains game there!!!

You want a real shocker, look at TX eland or kudu. Eland costs more then 2x the African price, plus several animals, plane tickets, daily fees, etc COMBINED.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have no desire to pay for a Texas "Safari".

I've been on plenty ranches here that hold African game. Yeah. It ain't "hunting" with any sense of effort.

And from what I've read, few African Safaris are either these days.

I would have to search long and hard to find an African hunt I'd be willing to pay for if I had the money.
    Don't get me wrong. If one of my rancher buddies called and said, "I have too many (insert African Game) on my place. Come over and shoot 1/2/3/4....."

Boy.........I'd do it in a heartbeat!!! But, I don't quantify that as hunting and I sure wouldn't pay for it.

Then again, if the same guy called and said, "I have too many cows/sheep/goats/horses/chickens/cats/dogs/llamas/gophers.......on my place. Come over and shoot some."

Boy, I'd pack my guns just as fast.

I don't discriminate.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    john.41 wrote: »
    Well, with the right seasonings and preparation, darn near anything is edible.
    Reminds me of the time Dad fed some close friends a Fox, and none were the wiser.
    Maybe
    but, I'm not eating another water moccasin or snapping turtle eggs either. :vomit:

And I will take the mans word about owls.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    Maybe
    but, I'm not eating another water moccasin or snapping turtle eggs either. :vomit:

It would take a lot to get me to eat another Javalina.
    Money is the big issue. Doing it old school, hundreds of miles in the middle of deepest darkest Africa isn't horribly expensive for the actual HUNT. But that usual involves several plane rides, then charter flights or days driving to get there. Think of like landing in Houston, taking a charter fight to Amarillo, then driving to the OK pan handle. Those ones are still tent chalet, generator electricity, very wild places. Popular for DG hunts, not as much for PG unless there are specific animals only located there. The ranches are much cozier, cheaper and easier to get to. More popular for PG because they bring in animals not normally found there, so you can hunt all the species on your check list at the same time. Easy shooting, if you're not after something specific, or are focused on a certain size. Anywhere in Africa, wild or farm, there are going to be animals EVERYWHERE. If all you care about is shooting X species, super easy. Shooting a trophy, not always.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    It would take a lot to get me to eat another Javalina.
    Interesting, Clean is very picky and she ate some our son shot near El Paso
    I would eat more of it, also.

Must be near term diet for the animal.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia