Home Main Category Clubhouse

Zebra! It's what's cook'n.

2»

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Don't tell me what it is and just about any meat cooked right is eatable ...

Man, Philippines flashback :uhm:

I ate BBQ meat on a stick from a street cart in South Korea, I remember it being pretty delicious.

I do credit my surviving that mystery meat to Wild Turkey.

The "beef" hamburgers and shawarma we could buy in the sand box at Dubai were not bovine beef. The burgers had a very slightly gamey taste and a greasy texture. My best guess was goat but camel or horse would not have surprised me.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    The "beef" hamburgers and shawarma we could buy in the sand box at Dubai were not bovine beef. The burgers had a very slightly gamey taste and a greasy texture. My best guess was goat but camel or horse would not have surprised me.

Probably not horse - I'm no expert, but the time or two I've had horsemeat (before it was outlawed here in the People's Republic), it was very lean and not gamey at all. But it was years ago, so I may be mis-remembering.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    It would take a lot to get me to eat another Javalina.

I keep tellin' ya, javelina is fine eats if you do it right. Just don't start with some old boar. Instead, shoot a young one, preferably female. Carefully remove JUST the hindquarters, and bake it like you would fresh pork.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    I ate BBQ meat on a stick from a street cart in South Korea, I remember it being pretty delicious.

I do credit my surviving that mystery meat to Wild Turkey.

That meat on a stick was dog
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    That looks tasty. I would give it a try.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Awesome looking food Zee. I would have no hesitation in cleaning up my plate. . . even if it was horse/dog/cat etc. When did the human race get so 'picky' about what constituted food?

On another note, after reading the comments in this thread, my mind immediately pictured a Monty Python thread along the following lines............

John Cleese books a texas zebra hunt. He arrives, gets regaled with tales of how the zebra's are wild animals while having dinner around an open fire.....

The following morning his guide takes him out into the wilderness where they see a herd of zebra.

John Cleese " They are not Zebra !!......You have painted horses with black and white stripes".
    Guide " They are zebra"
    "No they are not, Zebra are smaller than horses and their manes are short. I know a zebra when I see one "
    " I assure you that they are zebra........Shoot the big one on the left"
    After a 5 minute 'to and fro' conversation..........John Cleese says " If I am going to shoot it................you better tell the rider to get off it and unsaddle it"
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Ha!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    NN wrote: »
    That meat on a stick was dog

Probably. I was drunk enough it didn't matter then and now... well, it still doesn't matter.

A story about eating dog.

My Great Grandpa worked as a cowboy for the 101 Ranch (101 Ranch Rodeo, a smaller Wild West show). One time some folks from back East (investors as I was told) had come out for a visit and whatnot.

A great big lunch was prepared in grand western style. One Eastern guy pipes up asking what in the dishes just as one of the Indian women sets a Dutch oven on the table. The Indian woman hands the Eastern guy a spoon and says "Dig deep. Doggy on the bottom."
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    What drew me to the photo are those bacon wrapped poppers. Yummy! Zebra? Its what's for dinner. (or horse, or goat, or cat, or gerbil, or whatever)
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    What drew me to the photo are those bacon wrapped poppers. Yummy! Zebra? Its what's for dinner. (or horse, or goat, or cat, or gerbil, or whatever)

cpj is going to be upset if you eat that gerbil.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    cpj is going to be upset if you eat that gerbil.
    Butt Richard Gere ate one before.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    horse- - - - - - - was very lean and not gamey at all.

The problem with horse is that it usually ends up blood-red rare, no matter how long it's cooked.
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    . One Eastern guy pipes up asking what in the dishes just as one of the Indian women sets a Dutch oven on the table. The Indian woman hands the Eastern guy a spoon and says "Dig deep. Doggy on the bottom."
    Oldest ate dog in Korea, said probably not again.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I pride myself on being an adventurous eater, if it comes from the ocean i've probably eaten it or its cousin, and much of that raw. I like wild game meats, but...There are some I would have a hard time with hunting or eating. Zebra is too close to horse for me and while I know Canada and much of the world loves their horse meat, I don't think I could do it. Just like I don't think I would hunt an Elephant or a big cat other than Mountain Lion. I wouldn't judge someone else for doing it but I think I would pass. The prep on your lunch makes it look fantastic though...