Home Main Category Clubhouse

Well if I pass the physical...........

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,167 Senior Member
I will have a new job. Auxiliary Operator at the power plant. Basically a Gopher for the Boiler Operator. 2x+ what I'm making now. Finally some breathing room!

Shifts are going to suck though.......... :zzzz:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    Good for you!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Congrats!!
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds good. Good luck!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Congrats to you. Sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck on the physical!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Congrats, there's great fishing in the hot water discharge in the winter time incidentally. I guess that y'all aren't moving to Pensacola after all?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nice!!! Good luck!!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Congrats, there's great fishing in the hot water discharge in the winter time incidentally. I guess that y'all aren't moving to Pensacola after all?

This is a waste to energy facility........... Burns trash instead of gas. It's small too. Only puts out 13KWH..........

Unknown. Don't know if she wants to try and live in between or not. I will be working 12 hours, so I can't commute too far.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    This is a waste to energy facility........... Burns trash instead of gas. It's small too. Only puts out 13KWH..........

Unknown. Don't know if she wants to try and live in between or not. I will be working 12 hours, so I can't commute too far.........

Gotcha, I thought it was the plant on West Bay.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Good luck. I hope you get it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Good news indeed.
    Do you have an stationary engineers license?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Good luck with it, hey.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Not to pry, but why is a physical required for the job?

Either way, good luck, and a preliminary congratulations!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Buford wrote: »
    Good news indeed.
    Do you have an stationary engineers license?
    Only the boiler operator is licensed

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Not to pry, but why is a physical required for the job?

Either way, good luck, and a preliminary congratulations!
    Only part I know of is the lung capacity test. For wearing a respirator.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :beer:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    CONGRATULATIONS, hope it turns out as you wish
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You'll have power.
    For real.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Congratulations!! Hope the physical goes swell.

You're right, with 12 hour shifts, you don't want to be commuting too far.

Is that 4 12s then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep. 4 midnights, 2 off, 4 days, 2 off, 4 m, 2 off, 4 days....... 8 days off. :)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Have to go sign some papers there in an hour. Find out when physical is schedul5

And.... it's not part of my job, but I have to cross train to cover another job. So I have to learn how to drive one of these......
    692d31ad687204e8e7e7b449d3473006.jpg

Found out when I got home today, the youngest (18) stepson is getting his first welding job. His teacher at the career center recommended him to a shipyard (don't know which one yet but not Eastern) as a tack welder. He's happy as a pig in slop.................
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    There is work out there fer people who want to work and are willing to learn new things. May not be the dream job or type of work they want, but it's WORK and a paycheck.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Good luck on the new job!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I may be nutz...but that sounds kinda cool.

Only the 8 days off part............. :win:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    When I was a maintenance mechanic for E&J Gallo Winery I got to drive, and do the maintenance on an articulated loader very similar to that one, plus I got certified to operate a Grove rubber-tired 20-ton crane with a 50-foot boom. Fun stuff!
    Jerry
    I have worked the same Mon-Fri, with some Sat & Sun mixed in, 65 hour weeks for nearly 30 years. It's the variety that sounds cool...and the 8 days off of course.

Not to mention a chance to drive that big loader!
    Teach wrote: »
    When I was a maintenance mechanic for E&J Gallo Winery I got to drive, and do the maintenance on an articulated loader very similar to that one, plus I got certified to operate a Grove rubber-tired 20-ton crane with a 50-foot boom. Fun stuff!
    Jerry

I found a pic online of the actual loader working...... It actually doesn't smell too bad.

TRASH+WEB+PIC.jpg
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes, it does smell too bad. Been around a a few transfer stations. They smell like the inside of an ass.

It's not that bad................ now the flies. The flies are bad.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    A flush gun fund will make the flies seem insignificant.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wanna see a fly apocalypse? Spend 16 hours a day dumping double trailer loads of sweet, sticky grapes into open pits on the way to storage tanks, waiting to be crushed into juice and fermented into wine! Flies lay eggs- - - - - -it takes about 2 days for the grapes to get from the receiving pits to the wine presses. Eggs hatch. Guess what gets squeezed into your bottle of Gallo wine in addition to grape juice? Protein!

BTW- - - - -The Hunt's plant a few miles east of Gallo makes ketchup from tomatoes that go through an almost identical processing procedure as the grapes- - - -open receiving pits, flies, and all!
    Jerry
    I drove past where they drop off the strawberries at Smuckers in Ohio..... same same