Home Main Category Clubhouse

Recommendation on sawyall blade

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
I'm trying to cut some 3" diameter oil drilling pipe I used for my coral. They're cemented into the ground and I'm trying to level them off on the top. I've tried a diamond blade and that only scratched the pipe. I tried a heavy duty steel blade and that did just a bit more than the diamond tipped blade. There's got to be something that will cut this pipe!

Any recommendations?

Thanks as always!

Jeff
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Oil drilling pipe is hard. Like CPJ said, a grinder and abrasive cut off disc, or the Victor gas axe will be needed to cut that stuff.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Ditto on the angle grinder. I use a Makita 4" grinder, adapted to spin a 5" x 1/16" abrasive cutoff wheel. You'll need to make an adapter ring to center the blade properly- - - -the center hole is bigger. Let the grinder run full speed, and gently apply the blade to the pipe- - - -don't force it or get it in a bind- - - -the cutting wheel will explode if you do. It goes through steel like a hot knife through butter, but it will cut fingers and other body parts the same way, so keep a firm grip on the grinder and wear protective gear!
    Jerry
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Yep that's what I was hoping to use, but no power by the coral and the generator is being worked on. Was hoping there was a sawyall blade I could use. I'll wait for the generator to get fixed. Thanks gang!

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    At Home Depot and I am sure elsewhere, they have these carbide tipped blades made by Diablo. They are faster than a torch and almost as fast as my plasma cutter but they are about $12 a blade. The cutoff wheels suggested above is another good option.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/accessories/diablo-carbide-tipped-recip-blade-review/13017/
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    It will cut through a hardened steel pipe no problem. I would take a couple of breaks in the middle of doing the cut though because those blades heat up fast. I have smoked a few of them that way, then said screw it and broke down and got a longer cord for the plasma. For a one time thing like Jeff has, it is the perfect tool to do the job. Every day or big jobs? It would get very expensive, very fast.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I vote angle grinder with cutoff wheel.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Tried doing this with a saws all. Nuuuuuuuupppp! I'd go with the cutoff wheel too.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Sawyall? Is that the southern version of SawZall? :tooth:
    I can't speak of the blades Jerm mentioned, but I despise sawzalls in general. Yeah they work, but hard stuff eats blades.

I believe it's probably "Saw Y'all" which is what Southern serial killers and gangsters use to dismember their victims. I think they call them something else north of the Mason-Dixon Line, as "Saw Youse Guys" doesn't roll off the tongue very well.:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I believe it's probably "Saw Y'all" which is what Southern serial killers and gangsters use to dismember their victims. I think they call them something else north of the Mason-Dixon Line, as "Saw Youse Guys" doesn't roll off the tongue very well.:jester:

Now that's funny I don't care what you say! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Sawyall? Is that the southern version of SawZall? :tooth:
    I can't speak of the blades Jerm mentioned, but I despise sawzalls in general. Yeah they work, but hard stuff eats blades.

You can make fun of me all you want, I have southern pride and folks from the south understands me perfectly!:beer:

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I would go with a torch unless all you have is MC or B bottles. Most any self respecting ranch :jester:would have a full sized set of torches around and with a good cutting head and enough oxygen pressure, you can blow through steel pretty fast.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,397 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

What is it if the victim is singular? I can see a "Saw-Y'all" for a mass murder or serial killer on a moderate scale, but if they were really working it would it be a Saw-all y'all?

And to cut the pipe, angle grinder with a cut off wheel or torch.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Y'all is both singular and plural.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    folks from the south understands me perfectly!:beer:

That's odd- - - - -I never had an "accent" until I moved to yamdankee territory- - - - -them folks sure talk funny!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    What is it if the victim is singular? I can see a "Saw-Y'all" for a mass murder or serial killer on a moderate scale, but if they were really working it would it be a Saw-all y'all?

And to cut the pipe, angle grinder with a cut off wheel or torch.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Y'all is both singular and plural.

What BAMAAK said; y'all can be used as singular or plural, and plural use is for a couple up to about maybe ten. Above ten is when all y'all is used. All y'all is a sliding scale that can also depend on the situation. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    So a Ted Bundy would use a Saw-yall, but a Jim Jones would use a Saw-all y'all
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member

I think you've been drinking the Kool-aid.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 524 Senior Member
    Angle grinder and an abrasive cut off wheel should do just fine.

This is my vote also. I just finished a big project this weekend and it did a great job! but Teach is right too, it will go through fingers like they are not there! I haven't cut one off yet but got into one pretty good last summer. Ouch! Be careful! If it's available to you, a plasma cutter is the bee's knees! They are amazing!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member

And if Ted and Jim got into a fight with each other, could it be said that the duellists were using RECIPROCATING Saw Y'alls?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member

No they were yankees
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    or maybe scots which is where yall likely came from
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Oil drilling pipe is hard. Like CPJ said, a grinder and abrasive cut off disc, or the Victor gas axe will be needed to cut that stuff.

My vote's for the Victor Gas Axe.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    My vote's for the Victor Gas Axe.
    Then you ain't used a plasma cutter. I am not singling you out, you were just the last person to post about them. Once you use one, you will find acetylene and oxygen for cutting metal is obsolete. They are still good for soldering and brazing though, but you can braze better with a TIG.
    -Thomas Paine
    Sawzall is universal. Sawz y'all is southern Slang. Saws You All is Yankee slang.

Hope that clears things up...:jester:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Then you ain't used a plasma cutter. I am not singling you out, you were just the last person to post about them. Once you use one, you will find acetylene and oxygen for cutting metal is obsolete. They are still good for soldering and brazing though, but you can braze better with a TIG.

But doesn't that thing require electricity? If you're out where the electrons don't flow and you don't happen to have a generator, What you gonna do?
    you don't happen to have a generator, What you gonna do?
    If you don't own a generator, you have no business leapfrogging into a set of torches. Torches are higher up on Maslow's Hierarchy of Tools. You need the basics covered first. With a generator and a $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder with a $5 blade, you are in business!

Granted, you need a source of compressed air to go along with the power for a plasma, but they are badass!

Dr. DB probably had bad results with a Sawzall because he was using a "metal cutting" blade. This is new tech that most of you have never used so listen to me on this... those carbide sawzall blades cut the ever living crap out of steel!!! I can cut through a 6" I-beam in half the time it took me to write this post with a cordless sawzall-- almost as fast as a 2x6. Seriously.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    If you don't own a generator, you have no business leapfrogging into a set of torches. Torches are higher up on Maslow's Hierarchy of Tools. You need the basics covered first. With a generator and a $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder with a $5 blade, you are in business!

Granted, you need a source of compressed air to go along with the power for a plasma, but they are badass!

Dr. DB probably had bad results with a Sawzall because he was using a "metal cutting" blade. This is new tech that most of you have never used so listen to me on this... those carbide sawzall blades cut the ever living crap out of steel!!! I can cut through a 6" I-beam in half the time it took me to write this post with a cordless sawzall-- almost as fast as a 2x6. Seriously.

He Jerm, keep talking, I'm learning. It's been 15 years since I was out in the industrial work force. I'm gettin' Edumacated here! When I was working the word plasma was out of Star Wars. God! I can't believe the technological advances that have gone forth since I hung it up.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Horse crap. For a field cutting soloution a torch is WAY easier, cheaper, and more efficient. For a shop where you have the power required, and a big ass air compressor, sure. For cutting. But the torch is still more versatile.

This.

I have seen exactly ONE job where a plasma was the best tool "in the field". That was cutting tin for siding on a shop. They were using a little bitty 25A machine and a pancake air compressor running off a 5kw generator. I have seen other times a plasma cutter was used outside the shop and every time a torch would have been faster and easier.

For fab work in a shop plasma cutter all day everyday. For job site work the smoke wrench wins every time.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    Yes, plasma cutters are nice. Sure, they can be portable now days. But, how much do you invest in a plasma cutter, generator and air compressor compared to that of a nice set of torches? And a plasma cutter can.....cut. Torches can cut, braze, weld, heat and cook my lunch..... I can get 50' long hoses for a torch and wheel it wherever I want. Don't have to string out a large extension cord and air hose.

Now, if someone is doing some cutting and welding and has a generator arc welder, adding a plasma and air compressor will make for a nice rig. But most of the welding rigs I see still have their welder and torches....

Plasmas definitely have their place and are much more portable these days. If you can afford it, all you need to do is cut and can set it up where you need to work, by all means... But for out on the ranch, torches are the way to go.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    They are nice. I've used them many times. A buddy of mine has a CNC plasma table in his garage. Talk about nice! He can put just about any design he wants in to his laptop, put the metal on the table and hit the button and it cuts out a perfect part.