Home Main Category Clubhouse

Recommendation on sawyall blade

2»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Keep in mind we already have air and generators on the trucks so tossing on the plasma is actually easier for us than a set of torches.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'm trying to cut some 3" diameter oil drilling pipe I used for my coral. They're cemented into the ground and I'm trying to level them off on the top. I've tried a diamond blade and that only scratched the pipe. I tried a heavy duty steel blade and that did just a bit more than the diamond tipped blade. There's got to be something that will cut this pipe!

Any recommendations?

Thanks as always!

Jeff

dude just build your what ever around that solid post!

NO Id use a cut off wheel. easier and less headaches.
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Hell, I don't know anymore. Been too long for me. Back in the day I was quite savvy with all this. I've owned a torch back in the 80s-90s. I know it was pretty handy. I had a Miller 225 AC machine. I built my own boat trailers and everything else you can imagine. I worked in pipe shops and out in the field when I was out of High School before I went to work for the Dredging Company. A couple of plants I help build are still running. But nowadays the technology advances are mind boggling. But reading all this I've found that I'm just not up on all this enough to intelligently participate in this discussion.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Horse crap. For a field cutting soloution a torch is WAY easier, cheaper, and more efficient. For a shop where you have the power required, and a big ass air compressor, sure. For cutting. But the torch is still more versatile.
    for 99.995% of folks.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just be sure the air supply to the plasma torch has a GOOD dryer. Getting even a tiny bit of moisture through a plasma cutter makes for some interesting consequences. Nothing like a cutter head making lots of shrapnel when that water hits the arc to get everybody's attention, and a quarter-sized hole in the middle of a clean cut can be fun to deal with, as well.
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Well, carbide sawzall blades are expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as buying a plasma cutter and repairing your generator - or buying an oxy/acey set - would be, so that's how I'd play it. Barring that, I'd borrow (or buy... they're not that expensive and you've already seen how handy one might be) a cordless grinder and buy some cut off wheels for it.

Advice threads here crack me up.

Plasma cutter... sheesh. :roll:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin