Home Main Category Clubhouse

Things That Make You Think.

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
The other night, my wife commented that she missed being young. She's only 56... (don't tell her I let that slip.)

It was a rather cold night and I found myself pondering this a bit when I took the dog out. It was freezing. I remembered when I was a kid, freezing didn't mean what it does now. I could play all day in the snow, even after losing sensation in the toes. I loved playing in the snow, even after the snot froze to my lip! Sledding, snow-ball fights, skating, skiing...playing Friggin "Nanuk of the North!"

Now, cold is damned uncomfortable. But, standing there, waiting for the dog to decide which square foot she was going to baptize, I closed my eyes and breathed in the cold. It felt the same as when I was a kid. Same effect on the nose hairs! Same smell. Nothing different.

Then I opened my eyes and looked into the Southwestern sky and being a cold, winter night, Orion was right there, where he'd always been, and I found myself remembering that since childhood, I'd never tired of seeing Orion for the first time every year...and being a bit disappointed when I'd look up and realize he was gone for the season.

The other day, I was at Dairy Queen. I was having a cone and my 22 year old daughter was having a strawberry sundae. You have to realize, that when she was 3, I introduced her to Dairy Queen strawberry sundaes and that's all she ever orders from there. When she was 3, she's stand on the seat and I'd spoon it into her like a little bird! Now, at 22 she can feed herself - but I still buy.

I looked around and noted there were a lot of geriatrics present. They were all having soft serve deserts of one sort or another. Many of them were on the far side of 80. I wondered if the ice-cream tasted any different to them, than the first time they'd ever had it? It tastes the same to me. My father introduced me to the peanut buster parfait - which was his favorite. I haven't had one in years. He's been gone since 1990 and the next time I go to Dairy Queen, I'm having one...just to see if it tastes like I remember.

My wife and I took a 5 mile speed walk Saturday. On the walk, I tried to feel different at 61 than I did when I was 16. But the muscles were still strong, the breathing controlled, the heart rate right where it should be for that level of exercise. No sore muscles, no aching in the calves. Same sweat on my chest and back. Later, I stiffened up after relaxing, but I remember that happening after a grueling track and field event when I was in high school too. Nothing really different.

So, I'm not sure I miss being young. There is a certain melancholy that comes when I realize the road ahead is shorter than the one I've already traveled, but so far, no complaints.

But, one final thought I'd like to leave with you. Now that I've practiced nursing for 9 years, I have to tell you, good health is a God Send, but it can be fleeting. You will pay for the mistakes you've made and the abuse you've given yourself. So many of my patients are very old and very infirm. So, don't make fun of them. Think of their faces as a mirror you will one day gaze into. Then close your eyes, and take a bite of Strawberry Sundae - and savor it.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    You will pay for the mistakes you've made and the abuse you've given yourself. So many of my patients are very old and very infirm. So, don't make fun of them. Think of their faces as a mirror you will one day gaze into. Then close your eyes, and take a bite of Strawberry Sundae - and savor it.

This x100. And good story. I think back to all the times when I was young and I heard older folks say" if you do that, this will happen" and I just brushed it off and now as I sit here with my ears ringing and my joints constantly reminding me of their presence, I realize that they were right.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,831 Senior Member
    My father used to take me to Dairy Queen, too! But back then she was just a princess!!

My wife and I were driving home from a trip, when the song "Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkin come on the radio. It's a story of and older woman walking through an old neighborhood and realizing how things have changed over the years. My wife asked me to turn up the song 'cause she loves that one and starts singing along. She suddenly realizes what the song is about and flips down the visor mirror, looking at herself and crying. She says "What happened to me?? Last week I was young and vibrant, now all I see is an old woman!! I think fast,must cheer her up, say something positive!! So I tell her " At least your vision is still good!"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    You're going straight to hell.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Time collects what it's due, but the rates are not transparent.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    VERY well said. You do reflection well.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I don't want to be one of those guys in the casket that everybody comments- - - - -"He looks good!" I want to be totally worn out, used up, wrinkled, and showing the effects of every mile I've traveled. If I was able, I'd be grinning and saying "man, what a ride!"

:cool2:
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I don't want to be one of those guys in the casket that everybody comments- - - - -"He looks good!" I want to be totally worn out, used up, wrinkled, and showing the effects of every mile I've traveled. If I was able, I'd be grinning and saying "man, what a ride!"

Jerry

Yes, but good makeup can fix almost anything! :jester:

The one thing this thread makes me think of is how darn HARD it is to find soft serve ice cream - cones or otherwise - ANYWHERE. Used to be that was how it was, now, not so much...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Dan, have you thought of writing? You're not half bad at it!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    The other day, I was at Dairy Queen. I was having a cone and my 22 year old daughter was having a strawberry sundae. You have to realize, that when she was 3, I introduced her to Dairy Queen strawberry sundaes and that's all she ever orders from there. When she was 3, she's stand on the seat and I'd spoon it into her like a little bird! Now, at 22 she can feed herself - but I still buy.
    Went through that with the same ages; but, this time it is with a Granddaughter.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    coolgunguy wrote: »

Tee hee.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good reflections there Dan. Sometimes things come to me like sights, sounds and smells I haven't thought about or experienced consciously in years and they remind me of my childhood and younger adult years.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

Jerry
    Whenever the subject comes up that I shouldnt (ski, cut wood alone, do whatever) at may age I always tell them that I want people to look in the box and say something on the order of "Holy Shtuff he looks like he lived a life"
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    The soft serve discussion reminds me of when my wife and I took our 3 year old grandson out for Mexican food. When we finished our meal, we asked him if he like sopapillas. Having never eaten one, he said no. But, we got some anyway, along with the requisite bottle of honey.

Guess what? He loved them!

It's things like this that make life worth living.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    Maybe it is strange but I remember smells. Fresh cut alfalfa or plowed ground brings back memories.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The sense of smell is committed to memory more than any other sense.

Yep. Unfortunately we lived up wind from a chicken farm............. true story.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    The Dairy Queen in our small town had a small window below the serving window. If you were shorter than the serving counter, you got a small 'Tiny Tot' cone for free. They handed it to you through the tiny window...............

Ain't FB amazing. This is it (about 20 years before my time, but it looked the same)..................

20767_107182672630931_5559210_n.jpg?oh=d7b660d8045b1eb4f63093a8f61f85b8&oe=594EE8AD

Even older picture when it was brand spankin........

10154402_447273592041641_6290959210796323262_n.jpg?oh=4b4523352c1a7be69bba87ac623995f9&oe=59990F3A
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    Ya' gotta' live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin' corpse....:jester:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Ya' gotta' live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin' corpse....:jester:

Do everything you can, die old and look like you did everything you bragged about.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    JAY and I are the oldest of our Group. He's approaching 80, and I'll be 79 on my next birthday.

To me, growing old is a beautiful experience and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Of course my health is still very good thanks to my past clean living and the Mayo Clinic's medical attention for any little thing--minor or serious. I still work pretty steady and hard, and my wife--when I see her--tries to make me slow down, but I know what I'm doing and don't need to be told what to do.

Having known people in the past who became senile in their old age (none of my family on either side) this has caused me some concern. But---BUT---as I age I honestly think my analytical and in-depth thinking continues to IMPROVE! I understand life more and more as time goes by, and have no real fears about death and what follows. None!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    JAY and I are the oldest of our Group. He's approaching 80, and I'll be 79 on my next birthday.

To me, growing old is a beautiful experience and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Of course my health is still very good thanks to my past clean living and the Mayo Clinic's medical attention for any little thing--minor or serious. I still work pretty steady and hard, and my wife--when I see her--tries to make me slow down, but I know what I'm doing and don't need to be told what to do.

Having known people in the past who became senile in their old age (none of my family on either side) this has caused me some concern. But---BUT---as I age I honestly think my analytical and in-depth thinking continues to IMPROVE! I understand life more and more as time goes by, and have no real fears about death and what follows. None!

Woods this time i have to disagree with you, unless your being sarcastic about clean living, My life has always been about cigarettes, whiskey, and wild wild women, and a lot I wont mention here, I have abused my body and mind, There was not a person in my family that thought i'd make it past 25, I have survived many accidents, snake bite, gun shot, and a heart attack, 3 times I have been DOA. I most always did what i want when I wanted, with the exception of making sure my kids had everything they needed. I was not a "nice" person. Now that I'm old, I know someone is looking out for me cause I'm still going strong, although I don't know why. I still do most everything I did as a younger man, although sometimes slower.

Looking back on my life I'm often asked " if you could do it over, what would you change" my answer has always been the same, not a damn thing, Iv'e had to much fun.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »

In all seriousness, the post that started this thread is one of the better things I've read in a very long time. To me, life is about moments, capsules of time just like the ones you described, Dan. This entry took me back and caused me to not only remember, but to reflect. For this, I thank You. You truly have a gift.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I don't want to be banned...so I won't name my books. But the reviews are good.

Thanks.

Dan
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't want to be banned...so I won't name my books. But the reviews are good.

Thanks.

Dan

Hey, you can write a biography about Wilt Chamberlain, but you don't look nuthin like him :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Beautifully written Dan.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Had lunch with a friend at Rotary last Thursday and we talked about his adventurous life and travels. He didn't have any new exotic trips planned but he was getting ready to go to his vacation condo in Hungary. Richard had a fatal heart attack Saturday and he passed over Tuesday. Savor every day. Be thankful for all of lifes little things. Share time with those you love and tell them how you feel. Each day is a gift and life is short and precious.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Before he died, my 80 something year old uncle was still climbing a ladder to clean gutters, going out alone to cut firewood, etc. And in all honesty he wasn't in any shape to do those things. But, he said he rather die in the woods than in a recliner.
    Of course I think at least 25% of the joy he got from cutting wood was from the fact that the chainsaw was MUCH quieter than the bitching he heard from his wife telling him not to do things because "he was too old!"

Arrived at my Dad's house last year.... He was 84 then, 85 now, and the first thing I see is him at the top of a 20' ladder painting the eaves of his two story house. :rolleyes:

I figure that's at least half the reason he CAN do stuff like that though.... 'cause he DOES.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    ... Savor every day. Be thankful for all of life's little things. Share time with those you love and tell them how you feel. Each day is a gift and life is short and precious.

Truer words were never spoken. :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Woods this time i have to disagree with you, unless your being sarcastic about clean living, My life has always been about cigarettes, whiskey, and wild wild women, and a lot I wont mention here, I have abused my body and mind, There was not a person in my family that thought i'd make it past 25, I have survived many accidents, snake bite, gun shot, and a heart attack, 3 times I have been DOA. I most always did what i want when I wanted, with the exception of making sure my kids had everything they needed. I was not a "nice" person. Now that I'm old, I know someone is looking out for me cause I'm still going strong, although I don't know why. I still do most everything I did as a younger man, although sometimes slower.

Looking back on my life I'm often asked " if you could do it over, what would you change" my answer has always been the same, not a damn thing, Iv'e had to much fun.

JAY

I hear you, Jay. My doctor told me I had to give up my life of wine, women and song.

Sadly, I quit singing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    I don't miss being young but I am starting to miss being about 35-40!