Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

O'Reilly History

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    I've worked plenty of rapes...not "maybe" rapes. And a couple of false claims. In today's world, you treat all claims as if they happened. Women who are legitimately raped are confused and terrorized and are unlikely to get the details correct at first. If the claim is false, this will come out in the investigation. But to start off questioning the victim is unlike almost any other crime investigation. For some reason men can't seem to get this. Robbery claims for example is almost never questioned.

Which doesn't have anything to do with Bill O'Reilly. He wasn't accused of rape.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Which is why the checklist was never applied to cases unless there was a certain ambiguity involved. Whch is why I wrote, "Do women get raped? Yup. Do some lie about it? Yup. Do some not report it? Yup."

My claim is, "There is no rape culture" in the US military or on college campuses. I put allegations of sexual harassment in a similar vein, only because it's so often a "he said" - "she said" situation.

But for anyone to assume that an allegation is iron-clad, simply because the topic is sexual harassment or sexual assault and the victim is a woman, is foolish, and leads to unfair and unlawful victimization.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I've worked plenty of rapes...not "maybe" rapes. And a couple of false claims. In today's world, you treat all claims as if they happened. Women who are legitimately raped are confused and terrorized and are unlikely to get the details correct at first. If the claim is false, this will come out in the investigation. But to start off questioning the victim is unlike almost any other crime investigation. For some reason men can't seem to get this. Robbery claims for example is almost never questioned.

Which doesn't have anything to do with Bill O'Reilly. He wasn't accused of rape.

The claims of 'sexual harassment' also were several, if not many years ago, so I don't agree with the "confused and terrorized" part of your explanation in O'Reilly's case.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    The claims of 'sexual harassment' also were several, if not many years ago, so I don't agree with the "confused and terrorized" part of your explanation in O'Reilly's case.

Read the last sentence in the post you referenced.
    At the same time, the unproved accusation of sexual harassment can be as damaging to a man's career, as the unproven or unsubstantiated accusation of rape, which happens all the time. So, while the two situations don't fit the same legal definition, they often result in the same non-legal punishment.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Difference is rape leaves evidence. Sexual harassment generally does not, unless the woman makes records of how she was harassed.

And given a $13M payoff, it seems to be pretty clear there is some evidence to suggest these women had the goods. Nobody in their right mind pays $13M based on unsubstantiated claims.
    So, you're saying that claims of sexual harassment are not evidence based, but that settling a claim is clear evidence of guilt? Just want clarification.

Also, rape often leaves no more actual evidence, than a false claim of rape following a consensual encounter.
    I'm not saying that at all...please show where I indicated that. If the women in question had recording, etc., that's plenty of evidence. And I'm betting they did.

Evidence of rape isn't always only DNA, although that helps. There is a lot of violence in rape and that generally shows. At least in the cases I'm thinking of.
    Yes. In actual rapes there is "often" great physical evidence of force. Not always. The "threat" of force can demand compliance. That's a rape. What evidence remains, except that which would also remain if the encounter was consensual? How is the truth determined, when the accuser and the accused have differing recollections of the event? Can you not see the need for a tool which would help the police determine if the allegation has significant holes in it? We can polygraph the accused if he is willing. What if - and I've seen it numerous times, no deception is indicated? We are forbidden from suggesting the accuser take a polygraph.

Absent actual physical evidence of force, I think the accuser should be compelled to provide at least that amount of accommodation, particularly when a man's life and livelihood is on the table.
    You're really hung up on women falsely reporting rape and sexual harassment, aren't you? So far as I know, there is no tool to determine truth, and any "holes" in the claim will come out in the investigation.

I have seen far more truthful claims of rape than I've seen false. Sexual harassment? Never worked a case on that. If you start off with any preconceived notion of false reports, you can't exist in 2017. Got to act on the premises that women do NOT falsely report rape. Sexual harassment is different because it's based on a woman's perception of whether she's being harassed. The collection of evidence is far different.
    I'm not "hung up" on anything, except the notion that false rape allegations don't exist and that in many cases there is no "allowable" tool to help to determine the veracity of the allegation. In two cases I worked, it's likely a man would have gone to jail, if the woman hadn't recanted. Yet, any suggestion that the allegation has to be true because a woman's word cannot be questioned in the case of a rape allegation has undoubtedly put many men behind bars. Just as false confessions have led to many improper convictions. There is way too much evidence of this to suggest that one cannot be compelled to confess, or that police malfeasance hasn't led to wrongly convicted persons. Particularly African American men accused of raping white women back in the day.

A young man in St. Louis "confessed" to a rape/murder and the cops were mightily embarrassed when he recanted his confession and a proper police investigation actually caught the actual perpetrators.

When it is suggested that there are certain classes of people we cannot question, then there will be no need for investigations.
    Well, I think you're hung up. Perhaps for personal reasons on what you saw some time ago.

All allegations (not just rape) must be treated as true until investigation proves otherwise. Man or woman. No one gets charged on allegations alone, that I know of. Not only is there no "allowable" tool to determine if a woman is lying, there is NO tool at all to determine truth...truth comes out of investigation. The assumption is that a woman won't falsely report a felony since they can be charged, and if the investigative time devoted to investigating the crime is a lot, they probably will be.

I don't know how long it's been since you investigated rapes (or claims of rapes) but I suggests times and techniques may have changed.
    I retired in 97. At the time, if an allegation was proven false, the woman was not charged. It was felt that this would send a signal to other women who might not report actual rapes.

And if you think I'm hung up, well schit...that's all that matters.
    Dan, we're a couple of oldfart cops who have seen better days and a lot of changes in our lifetimes. I retired in 2009 and I'm not up to date by a long shot in modern police work.

Do I think O'Reilly sexually harassed women? Yes. Do I think the proof is out there? Yes, but the victims who settled have signed an agreement not to reveal BO's statements as to culpability.

Sexual Harassment without actual contact is, as you know, not a crime but a tort. And it's cost Fox and O'Reilly a lot of money to buy silence.
    Read the last sentence in the post you referenced.

OK, point made. I just thought you were applying that line of thinking to O'Reillys complainants as well.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,981 Senior Member
    From my understanding she stated that she was (gasps) pro-choice.

Nope, she is pro choice, but she called her employer, her company, her boss and all of her coworkers hypocrites because they have a different opinion on national TV, then doubled down. Which is why she is unemployed.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Letterman wasn't accused of harassment so far as I know. He screwed around.

My heart didn't bleed for O'Reilly after he paid out that first couple of million bucks for hush money. I consider that to be telling.
    Its not hush money, its "Taking this in front of a jury of people who cant get out of jury duty, pitting a evil corp. against this pretty little blonde lady, is going to cost us 10X the cost of buying these people off." money.

I have seen it happen. Pretty blonde person drives up to a DRIVE UP payphone that was required to be there, at that height with the type of cord on it by the govt. park where it was at and the ADA. Person hangs up phone, backs out with cord wrapped around hand. Loses her hand. Gets a settlement from the company NOT because there was any fault on the part of the company, but because the "rich guy" is at fault or if not, the jury FEELS that they should pay the poor (whomever) because they have money.

I think it would be a good estimation that 80% of these are for the payday only.
    Obviously, they didn't sue for free. Not much of a point in a tort otherwise.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Interesting point I heard the other day: None of the women could muster the fortitude to say, "Bill! Knock this [email protected]&) off! I don't like it! I won't put up with it!! I will sue if you don't stop!" Obviously the American feminist movement still has work to do.
    And you know this, how?
    Well, it affects those who used to watch his TV show.
    cpj wrote: »
    Damnit. Now folks will have to find another bag wind to listen to. It's a travesty.

I actually am going to miss that windbag. I didn't always like his show, but I did most of the time. Usually he pissed me off when he went along with the leftist view. He did donate A LOT of money to various worthwhile charities, and it's a shame that money probably won't be generated very much unless O'Reilly gets another gig somewhere.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Al this hair-splitting over semantics, even if it's pubic hairs that are being split, gets downright boring after a while. Somebody always takes the bait and rewards the slow fisherman!
    Jerry
    Obviously, they didn't sue for free. Not much of a point in a tort otherwise.

Really? What country are you from, because in the US, if you type in "We dont get paid unless you do." into your search engine, it generates a list of lawyers across the United states.
    They sue and it doesnt cost them a dime, win lose or draw. Companies know that taking it to a jury means that with people who are firmly entrenched in class warfare, no matter who is at fault, they are going to pay. Lawyers knpw this, which is why they offer free legal to whomever has hurt feelings this week.

Yes she sued for money. She was 100% at fault, and got a settlement because it cost her nothing to sue, and the odds of getting a fair shake on the "rich guy" side are slim to none.

In a case like Oriellys, if FOX takes it to a jury, they are going to get 12 people out of NY or DC, ie Libs. Even if they get a decent avg they are not exactly a jury of peers because they have no frame of reference to a multi millionaire.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    ng
    I know this is not exactly the same but David Letterman was doing several workers and admitted it and was a bigger star for it. My biggest concern about Oriely is he has been convicted in the press and is gone.

Wait a minute, isn't O'Reilly being accused of about the same thing as Slick Willy was? Stay right where you are O'Reilly, he was impeached for purgering himself in front of the world and God and he went on to be acquitted and finish his term as a very popular president.

What do you mean Double Standard???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Is it possible I stated my post inaccurately. I was talking about the victims, not the lawyers.

Liberals don't always win lawsuits. "The Raleigh News and Observer" and the "Gawker" suits are proof of that. And both were clearly libelous and were fined money, I think rightly. It pretty much ruined "Gawker." And will hurt N&O deeply; the award was $7.5 million, exceeding the state cap for such suits.

I believe the plaintiff and the defendant get an equal amount of strikes on a jury in a civil case so if the jury is all liberal or all conservative it means a lousy lawyer is doing the striking.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -rumor has it he took a $25 Mil. buyout. That obnoxious damyankee is laughing all the way to the bank!
    Jerry
    There is also a difference in talking and touching.

Andrea Tanteros said he used to call her at night on the phone and sound like he was masturbating. But he didn't touch. Different charge. I don't know what O'Reilly sounds like masturbating and don't want to.

I would imagine he scored some or he wouldn't pursue this line of business. Gretchen Calrson also quit because it's reported of sexual harassment. So did that Bila woman and Julia Roginski.

His $25M will possibly be consumed by additional settlements...some of it, at any rate. I don't like bullies even when they represent my politics, and O'Reilly was a bully and an egomaniac. I feel like he verbally abused others who worked for him, men and women.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    O'Reilly was a bully and an egomaniac. I feel like he verbally abused others who worked for him, men and women.
    That is just what the libtards want you to think. Lies! All lies.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    For 13 million (cash) I'd find out what he sounds like masturbating. Hell, I'd even, well, 13 million is a lot of money.

And, it's been a long time...

A guy I worked with years ago used to say "It's not gay if you're getting paid". He never had a lot of money, but he seemed really...umm...happy, so there's that.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin