Home Main Category Clubhouse

Talk to me about my rear end

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I made it from California to Tennessee in 1980 with a rig that weighed 16,700 lbs., car and trailer combined. Over 10K lbs. on a 3-axle backhoe trailer. The tow vehicle was a bone-stock 70 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 472 engine and a Turbo 400 transmission. I did have a weight transfer receiver hitch, a trans cooler, and a trailer brake control. 5 MPG for 2500+ miles!
    Jerry
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about 'roids

thanks a lot, I choked on my leftover ham
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • therewolftherewolf Member Posts: 90 Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    There is no harm in a little extra traction. Besides without posi the pickup is a one wheel wonder and has a good chance of getting stuck in a piss puddle on grass or dirt especially with highway tires.
    I've seen quite a few trucks spinning one wheel trying to drag a bass boat up a wet boat ramp

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Bearing preload, backlash, shims, bearings, heavy carrier, crush sleeve = pain in the ass.

What you said Rocketman. Swaping the entire rear housing is way faster and mucho less hassle.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Question for Dan: Unless you are pulling a trailer in the snow, mud, sand, or across the floor of an adult video store, why in the world would you need a posi-trac rear end?

As to the **** cooler, I'm certain the truck has air conditioning.

Try pulling a boat up a ramp. And if you ever go into a corner and your drive wheel slips you will be glad you have it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    There's some great irony here in that the first time that I went to the SE shoot, I followed Dan to Jerry's house and after he took a wrong turn, he backed into some wet grass to turn around and almost got stuck.

Almost..... :jester: :jester: I did that three point turn with caution.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    7000 ain't a big deal either with any half ton pickup. Yea, you are pulling 7000 pounds... guess what? The truck is going to ride/stop/accelerate differently. 5000? I used to do that with my 86' S-10 with an inline 2.5L engine. I do it now with mama's grocery getter. Georgia to Indiana and back? Meh. No biggie.
    Lower gear ratio ain't gonna lug the engine as bad. And we all know the transmission is the weak link in the Chevy drive train.
    Just a thought... I normally advocate for regular 87 octane gasoline as most engine computers adjust for it, but when towing, would premium 92 octane gas help the engine perform better?

D
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    therewolf wrote: »
    A 6 ton winch from Harbor Freight might be less expensive,

more practical, and less maintenance headaches. Like somebody

else said, if you need a posi, you know, if you don't, save yourself the trouble.

Care to give some evidence of this claim? I've got a 2006 GMC Sierra with a factory locked differential and it uses the same fluid and requires the same maintenance intervals as the limited slip version. I even have the window sticker that shows the package of a 295hp 5.3 engine, locked differential, and factory frame hitch was 675.00. I would much rather tap a button on the dash and enjoy four wheel drive with a locked differential than have to pull cable every time I get a little wheelspin on a wet boat ramp or dirt road.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Just a thought... I normally advocate for regular 87 octane gasoline as most engine computers adjust for it, but when towing, would premium 92 octane gas help the engine perform better?

D

Back in the time before ethanol gas i think it did make a small difference, I tried it a few times with ethanol and didnt notice any change.

When it did make a big difference was when you could re-jet your carbs and advance the ignition timing.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    [QUOTE=Fisheadgib;650258 I would much rather tap a button on the dash and enjoy four wheel drive with a locked differential than have to pull cable every time I get a little wheelspin on a wet boat ramp or dirt road.[/QUOTE]

:agree: A 4WD without posi is just a 2 WD, every truck or jeep i have ever owned has been 4WD with at least 4:10 axles and posi or lockers front and back.

JAY
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Lower gear ratio ain't gonna lug the engine as bad. And we all know the transmission is the weak link in the Chevy drive train.
    Either way, the truck should handle it just fine. If you are so worried about it, I would suggest getting a truck that you are more confident in. Me? I think you are splitting hairs and the minor gains you will get by swapping rear ends aren't worth 10% of the effort.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member

D

Nope.
    If the engine is made to run regular, about the only thing high octane will do is cause more heat and fewer dollars for snacks on the road.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Lower gear ratio ain't gonna lug the engine as bad. And we all know the GM parts are the weak link in the Chevy drive train.

FIFY :jester:

If you are worried about towing 80% of the rated capacity, a new rear is going to do jack for you. Go buy a 25 series whatever and you can tow at 50% of capacity and be comfy.

However, the shocks need replaced, like 110,000 miles ago, all 4. Another spring might be OK, but not a deal breaker. I would pull whatever you need to pull after putting some shocks under it, and if the truck isnt up to it, it is time to step up overall.
    Alright, what shocks? Brand?
    Alright, what shocks? Brand?

I have used pro Comp, Rancho, Ol Man Emu, but I'm sure almost any heavy duty shocks will do fine.

JAY
    jaywapti wrote: »
    almost any heavy duty shocks will do fine.

JAY
    :agree:
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    .308=slower acceleration, higher top end speed.

.373=faster acceleration, lower top end speed.

Drag Strip cars use higher numerical ratio, lower gear rear ends because they get in the powerband quick and accelerate fast.

Indy racers and stock cars have lower numerical, higher gear ration rear ends to make for higher top end speed.

With the lower gear rear ends you pay a premium in gas mileage. The .308 will get better mileage but the .373 will keep you in your power band while accelerating. Think about overdrive. The Engine RPM goes down when you shift into top gear, using less fuel. But if you read your owner's manual it will tell you not to tow in over drive because it loads the transmission too hard. Think about a manual trans. The lower gear the higher the RPM for the speed. As you shift up the rpm drops off and you can go faster with less RPM. It's all a matter of leverage.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Try pulling a boat up a ramp. And if you ever go into a corner and your drive wheel slips you will be glad you have it.

D

I've pulled a 5200 lb boat up many a steep moss and mud covered ramp with a 2WD Jeep Grand Cherokee. Put it in 2nd gear and ride the e-brake if need . No problems
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I've pulled a 5200 lb boat up many a steep moss and mud covered ramp with a 2WD Jeep Grand Cherokee. Put it in 2nd gear and ride the e-brake if need . No problems

boat-launch_bob-bayer.jpg
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    boat-launch_bob-bayer.jpg

Can't fix stupid
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    cpj wrote: »
    OK I think we got your truck covered. Now let's talk about your rear end.
    Nobody wants me to change it, it seems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Nobody wants me to change it, it seems.
    Why bother changing it when it can handle a good sized load, no problem?
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Why bother changing it when it can handle a good sized load, no problem?
    Because I'm sick of the constant shifting of the ****. Just driving with no load it constantly hunts and bogs when you dump the throttle.

If folks had a coronary about me changing the rear end, wait till they find out I'm getting this:

http://www.blackbearperformance.com
    How long have you had this truck? Regardless of your rear end, it shouldn't be doing that with a 5.3 liter engine.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Hotrodding the admittedly inadequate?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Replace your air cleaner while you are doing the shocks. If its bogging without a load, a new rear isnt the problem.

In fact, look at getting some throttle body cleaner and take a extra 1/2 hour making sure you are not sucking air where you are not supposed to be sucking air.
    It also might be the transmission needs a fluid flush and fill. Not just a drain, a flush.

D