Home Main Category General Firearms

S&W vs. SA

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
S&W Model SD VE versus Springfield XD pistols. Any opinions or advice? Leaning towards the XD in .45 ACP. Might consider a Glock in .45 ACP as well. (I have 3,000 casing for .45 ACP to reload.)

Thanks gentlemen for your input.

Patrick

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    I have no experience with the S&w. I have too of the xds in 45 they both shoot very well for me. I have had no problems as far as feeding or a failure too fire, other than one of them stove piping with some of the blazer steel cased rounds and that was only 2 times within the first 100 rounds thru it. They both have over a 1000 rounds thru them now. I'd have no problem Buying another.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,597 Senior Member
    Have you had the chance to try the trigger on each? In my experience, the Springfield's trigger is far superior. Enough that the price difference wouldn't matter to me.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    My #2 son has an SV
    a piece of junk
    I gave him my PT 92 he is better off.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    I have an XDm and like it.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    SDVE is a Sigma with some changes. Sigma was a poor copy of a glock. You look at Shields or M&Ps? Both good guns and the shield as a rebate going on.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Have you had the chance to try the trigger on each? In my experience, the Springfield's trigger is far superior. Enough that the price difference wouldn't matter to me.

NO I haven't tried the triggers. Suppose I should. Love the 1911 but I have limited funds at the moment.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,511 Senior Member
    Just get the XD in whatever incarnation you prefer, the sigmas and SDVE are not in the same class. IMHO a SDVE is one notch above a High Point.....that's it.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,597 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    NO I haven't tried the triggers. Suppose I should. Love the 1911 but I have limited funds at the moment.

I know the feeling. The right price tag can make you question your whole decision-making process.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member

That's what the Rock Islands are for. I've done detail strip inspections & test fires for a largish handful of friends who have bought them and been VERY impressed. They're turning out 1911's closer to what JMB and the US Army had in mind; not what some confused mall ninja (who doesn't understand that match pistols and combat pistols ARE NOT and SHOULD NOT be the same thing) thinks they should be. Price-point wise, they're right in there with the big-name Tupperware guns. No reason to subject yourself to the plastic if a 1911 is what you want.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Springfield Armory isn't much of an armory, it's more a shell corporation that scrounges surplus parts from all over Asia and cobbles them into rifles, and assembles and markets handguns from South America and some 2nd world dump in the Balkans. Yeah, their M1A rifles work, some quite well, and their 1911s and Croatian handguns have acquired some small reputation, but if you're going to spend real American money, buy a S&W, or almost anything else. (Except a Glock, of course.)
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,511 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Springfield Armory isn't much of an armory, it's more a shell corporation that scrounges surplus parts from all over Asia and cobbles them into rifles, and assembles and markets handguns from South America and some 2nd world dump in the Balkans. Yeah, their M1A rifles work, some quite well, and their 1911s and Croatian handguns have acquired some small reputation, but if you're going to spend real American money, buy a S&W, or almost anything else. (Except a Glock, of course.)
    Hey horse did you know that Smith had to pay Glock royaltys because the sigma was basicly a cheap ripoff of a quality gun?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    What is the primary purpose of the new gun? If you are looking for a match pistol with a light trigger, the SD VE is not the right choice. If you are looking for an inexpensive, very reliable self defense handgun, the SD VE is an excellent choice. My wife and I both have SD9VE's and have run over 1,000 rounds each through ours with zero problems (even the cheap target ammo, eats everything we feed it). The trigger is intentionally heavy because it is meant to be a self defense handgun, however, if it is not to your liking there are other trigger options for it. I was using mine as a CCW with the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster. It worked pretty well for me but is a little bulky and I have to dress around it. It was too bulky for my wife to carry. We have since both bought M&P Shield 9MM handguns for CCW and our SD9VE's have become our nightstand guns.......as a backup to my VEPR-12 :guns: Another consideration, as already mentioned, the SD VE series is only available in 9MM and .40
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    A couple of other bits of info to think about if you have limited funds:

If you have an Academy Sports in your area the M&P Shield is $399 but S&W is offering a $75 rebate (my wife and I took advantage) and the SD9VE and SD40VE are $299. S&W is offering a $25 rebate on those. Both rebates go until June 30th.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    That's what the Rock Islands are for. I've done detail strip inspections & test fires for a largish handful of friends who have bought them and been VERY impressed. They're turning out 1911's closer to what JMB and the US Army had in mind; not what some confused mall ninja (who doesn't understand that match pistols and combat pistols ARE NOT and SHOULD NOT be the same thing) thinks they should be. Price-point wise, they're right in there with the big-name Tupperware guns. No reason to subject yourself to the plastic if a 1911 is what you want.

Great advice. Will have to check them out. Not too many shops offer the RI here in my neighborhood of Northern Kommifornia.
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    What is the primary purpose of the new gun? If you are looking for a match pistol with a light trigger, the SD VE is not the right choice. If you are looking for an inexpensive, very reliable self defense handgun, the SD VE is an excellent choice. My wife and I both have SD9VE's and have run over 1,000 rounds each through ours with zero problems (even the cheap target ammo, eats everything we feed it). The trigger is intentionally heavy because it is meant to be a self defense handgun, however, if it is not to your liking there are other trigger options for it. I was using mine as a CCW with the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster. It worked pretty well for me but is a little bulky and I have to dress around it. It was too bulky for my wife to carry. We have since both bought M&P Shield 9MM handguns for CCW and our SD9VE's have become our nightstand guns.......as a backup to my VEPR-12 :guns: Another consideration, as already mentioned, the SD VE series is only available in 9MM and .40

I use my SW Airweight .38Spl for SD. Looking for another option.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    In my opinion, the Sigma and its successors are fairly decent cheap pistols with crappy triggers, whereas the XD variants are good, solid pistols at a fair price, with decent triggers. I have, or have had, three XD variants and have liked them all, whereas the Sigmas belonged to others who wanted me to shoot them and give an opinion. My advice was always to save a few more dollars and buy the XD, but I didn't hate the S&W's, except for the triggers. If they could figure out a way to improve that, without violating the settlement made in the Glock lawsuit, I might like them more.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    Great advice. Will have to check them out. Not too many shops offer the RI here in my neighborhood of Northern Kommifornia.

The California market options within their line are slim, to be sure, but at the very least there are mil-spec-ish options and I'm pretty sure at least one full size modeltricked out with Novak sight cuts, upswept grip safety, and oversize, ambi, thumb paddles. My only negative critique is that their large thumb safeties have some sharpish corners, but that's no challenge to a man with a plan and a Dremel. Another perk is that all their guts are straight GI/Series 70, so gradual upgrades are pretty straightforward.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee