Home Main Category Personal Defense

Hawks attacking residents in Oviedo neighborhood

Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
SSS sure comes to mind here. Common sense to me, but be sure to read how to protect yourself...............

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/hawks-attacking-residents-in-oviedo-neighborhood
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That hawk would have a fatal case of Pb poisoning, probably late at night when nobody was likely to be watching.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Brings to mind a game that used tennis rackets. I think it was calle bad mitten or something like that.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I'd rather have a hawk's nest than a damn Canada goose nest. I've booted quite a few geese (and they are a lot more solid than you'd think) when they'd come hissing and flapping but the damn goose crappé is the worst.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Dr. dbDr. db Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I'd rather have a hawk's nest than a damn Canada goose nest. I've booted quite a few geese (and they are a lot more solid than you'd think) when they'd come hissing and flapping but the damn goose crappé is the worst.

Canada geese live in Denver pretty much year round.
    Sing Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coupe"
    as "Little Goose Poop". Come on everybody join in and sing along!
  • RocketmanRocketman Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Its only illegal to kill them if you get caught. Much like any other law.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Posts: 7,856 Senior Member
    I could be wrong, but that looks more like a peregrine falcon than a hawk.

We have a pair of nesting peregrines across the street from us, for the second year in a row. I think they've lived here much longer than us, judging by the size of the nest.

They are a little protective of their young, and if worse came to worst, I'd probably opt for a badminton racquet, but I'd do so with a very heavy heart.

Falcons are cool.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,815 Senior Member
    Probably got a nest nearby.

If attacked by a hawk or a falcon, NEVER wear a mouse outfit outside.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but that looks more like a peregrine falcon than a hawk.

We have a pair of nesting peregrines across the street from us, for the second year in a row. I think they've lived here much longer than us, judging by the size of the nest.

They are a little protective of their young, and if worse came to worst, I'd probably opt for a badminton racquet, but I'd do so with a very heavy heart.

Falcons are cool.

Mike

I'm with you on the peregrine falcon identity. Beak and cheek patch thing along with feather pattern. And they're pretty protective of their nests. A bunch were released in Chattanooga and along the TN River a few years back. They build nests at the bridges and dams. And the pigeons using the same bridges and dams for nesting sites are their main prey. The falcons don't have a hard time finding food!

A bath towel is about all you need for defense when they do their swoop. Mockingbirds are bad at that attack thing around their nests, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • LinefinderLinefinder Posts: 7,856 Senior Member
    There's a big population of dove and pigeons in my neighborhood, and more often than not, there is a fair amount of their feathers blowing around in my yard. I've never seen one of the falcons take a bird, but I did see one take a mouse last spring.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,355 Senior Member
    When they situated some peregrines in large metropolitan areas to help with the pigeon issues, all the bunny huggers were completely enthralled...right up until the birds took to dismembering their prey on the ledges outside office windows....:)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    When they situated some peregrines in large metropolitan areas to help with the pigeon issues, all the bunny huggers were completely enthralled...right up until the birds took to dismembering their prey on the ledges outside office windows....:)

They should have been deliriously happy... circle of life and all that! :rotflmao:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    There's a big population of dove and pigeons in my neighborhood, and more often than not, there is a fair amount of their feathers blowing around in my yard. I've never seen one of the falcons take a bird, but I did see one take a mouse last spring.

right after we bought our house, ( and the Lab/Shepherd mix), my wife was walking the pup in the backyard, training her to the leash. The local hawk went after a dove and slammed into the chain link fence. It blew the dove through the fence, dead as a doornail. The hawk was laying on its back, with it's eyes doing counter-rotating circles, up until the human and her dog came into focus staring down on it. Then it beat a hasty retreat.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    CHICKIN' HAWK! All hawks are chicken' hawks, don't you'ns know that? :tooth:!

Seriously....it's not a falcon, I guarantee you that! Based on the breast stripes and lack of bands on the tail and head features, I'm 95% sure that it's a Red-Tailed Hawk.
    Only hawk native to our part of the Deep South more aggressive than a Red-Tail is a female Coopers Hawk, but this species very rarely will attack a human. Red-Tailed Hawks, on the other hand, are fiercely aggressive toward humans--or any animal--that gets close to their nests. I'm sure that's what this one is. The Mayo Clinic over in the Jacksonville Beach, Florida area has such a problem with this species--this time of year--attacking people simply walking around the Hospital grounds close to nests (unknowingly), that it had to request federal permission to have a an exterminating company destroy the nests--not the birds, only the nests--and this is an ongoing fight by the Hospital. Best cure for this situation would be to quietly shoot the damn thing and to hell with the government! You can't be a "Pedigreed Rural Southern Country Boy" and not look out for yourself :nono:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have heard tell that a Red Tailed Hawk is no tougher than any other bird. Most bullets work just fine, even shotguns if you can get that close.
    Just what I was told.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,815 Senior Member

I saw a hawk eating a pigeon behind my house once. There was a near-perfect circle of feathers where the hawk struck the pigeon, which I'd seen before but didn't know the cause. My neighbor used to feed pigeons, or maybe she fed the hawks.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I used to live in Oviedo, less than a mile from that subdivision....small world.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I thought Oviedo was where Spanish Mausers were made back in the early 1900's.
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I have heard tell that a Red Tailed Hawk is no tougher than any other bird. Most bullets work just fine, even shotguns if you can get that close.
    Just what I was told.

Hawks taste a lot like chikkin. Sayin'. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DanoobieDanoobie Posts: 95 Member
    I DNK about anywhere else, but Hawks are a protected species, here, in Florida.
    Actually, the entire state is a bird sanctuary.

As to those Canada Geese, anybody who feels they ought to be saved or protected should
    spend a few days cleaning up after them. They make anywhere they inhabit a filthy, feces-
    strewn mess.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,355 Senior Member
    Danoobie wrote: »
    I DNK about anywhere else, but Hawks are a protected species, here, in Florida.
    Actually, the entire state is a bird sanctuary.

As to those Canada Geese, anybody who feels they ought to be saved or protected should
    spend a few days cleaning up after them. They make anywhere they inhabit a filthy, feces-
    strewn mess.

All raptors are federally protected in the U.S......
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"