Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

ASTM to set cannabis standards

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Finally, an NGO a setting standards (and not penalties) for the marijuana industry.

I really hope there's people like Snoop Dogg and Woody Harrelson on Subcommittee D37.91.

Organizational Meeting Outcome
Unanimous approval of 57 attendees, representing 40+ organizations

Title: Cannabis
Designation: D37 (assigned by ASTM HQ)
Scope: The development and maintenance of standards and guidance materials for cannabis and its products and processes. The work of this committee will be
coordinated with other ASTM committees and other organizations having mutual interest.

Subcommittees:
D37.01 Indoor and Outdoor Horticulture and Agriculture
D37.02 Quality Management Systems
D37.03 Laboratory
D37.04 Processing and Handling
D37.05 Security and Transportation
D37.06 Personnel Training, Assessment, Credentialing
D37.91 Terminology

Chairman: Ralph Paroli, National Research Council Canada
ViceChairman: Jeremy Applen, Canopy Systems
Recording Secretary: Kathleen May, MP Consulting LLC
Committee Manager: Robert Morgan, ASTM International, Director of Technical Committee Operations

https://www.astm.org/COMMIT/Latest%20information%20on%20Committee%20D37%20on%20Cannabis.pdf
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,513 Senior Member
    I'm sure there's no lack of qualified committee members!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    There's been a few highly publicized psychotic episodes from over dose here in weed city. Drugs need standards.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    There's been a few highly publicized psychotic episodes from over dose here in weed city. Drugs need standards.

Former Annapolis MD police chief, Michael Pristoop approves this message.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    As long as the FDA stays the hell out of it, something good may come in the form of true medicinal use.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    The problem is there is no potency standard. 6% beer, 12% wine and 80 / 90 / 100 proof booze is easily understood, and cannibus needs some similar measures.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    So- - - - -where does 140 proof moonshine come in there? :uhm:
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    I used to be opposed to it, but no longer. To hell with it. People are going to use it, freely in some states. I do agree there should be standards on it like on alcohol, but that's down the road.

I also think there should be a standard on impaired drivers. The technology isn't here at the present.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    The problem is there is no potency standard. 6% beer, 12% wine and 80 / 90 / 100 proof booze is easily understood, and cannibus needs some similar measures.

D

The stores in Washington test and label THC content on the different strains.

I have no idea what the percentages mean, but Washington state law requires the labeling.

Adam J. McCleod

Gene L wrote: »
    I also think there should be a standard on impaired drivers. The technology isn't here at the present.

When this tech gets completed and accepted by LE, I'm convinced the Feds will deregulate weed from Schedule 1.

Adam J. McCleod

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    early wrote: »

One of my favorite 911 calls was some due claiming that he and his girlfriend believed they were dying after eating a batch of pot brownies. When the 911 operator asked what his rationale was for thinking he was dying, the man responded quite lucidly, "because time is moving really, really slow."
    cpj wrote: »
    Side note, I'm currently working in a place where Woody and his friends set off the fire alarm with pot smoke.

They weren't trying to get high. They were simply doing a courtesy to the establishment by conducting a live fire smoke detector test.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There are many plants that will get a person high. Marijuana is just one of many. Besides the obvious opium poppy, there is Jimson weed seeds, peyote cactus buttons, morning glory seeds, nutmeg seeds, and some mushrooms that will send you into orbit. And some of them are a lot more dangerous than marijuana. This whole thing about trying to control use of a wild growing plant is sort of hilarious to me. Folks gonna do what folks gonna do, and trying to stop them from utilizing a wild growing plant is an exercise in futility.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    There are many plants that will get a person high. Marijuana is just one of many. Besides the obvious opium poppy, there is Jimson weed seeds, peyote cactus buttons, morning glory seeds, nutmeg seeds, and some mushrooms that will send you into orbit. And some of them are a lot more dangerous than marijuana. This whole thing about trying to control use of a wild growing plant is sort of hilarious to me. Folks gonna do what folks gonna do, and trying to stop them from utilizing a wild growing plant is an exercise in futility.

:that:

It's right up there with trying to bail out the ocean. You're not just fighting people, you're fighting Mother Nature. Anything thagt grows wild could end up anywherel
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

Nutmeg? I knew that morning glory would give you a buzz, and a field somewhat like cat nip. But nutmeg is new to me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,282 Senior Member
    This. As to testing impairment sure it's an issue, but people do all kinds of stupid stuff behind the wheel. Your average driver is on 2-3 different prescription drugs and is fiddling with their phone. I'm not terribly worried about running into armies of stoners on their way to Taco Bell causing a ton of accidents. Then again soon enough we won't have to worry about any of that since Wambli will have delivered us all our self driving cars!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is very true.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    When this tech gets completed and accepted by LE, I'm convinced the Feds will deregulate weed from Schedule 1.

I believe marijuana has its own Schedule. It does in GA. Plus, it has a medical use which takes it out of Schedule 1.
    I believe marijuana has its own Schedule. It does in GA. Plus, it has a medical use which takes it out of Schedule 1.

Marijuana is a Federal Schedule I substance, and is in the marijuana, hashish, and hashish list of Schedule I.

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ftp3.shtml
    ― Douglas Adams
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    One of my favorite 911 calls was some due claiming that he and his girlfriend believed they were dying after eating a batch of pot brownies. When the 911 operator asked what his rationale was for thinking he was dying, the man responded quite lucidly, "because time is moving really, really slow."

Yeah, that was a Dearborn, MI cop. He stole the weed from suspects, got high, called 911, and he wasn't charged. And some of you guys wonder why I get pissy with the police.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/10/cop-avoids-charges-in-pot-brownie-caper.html

Adam J. McCleod

Yeah, that was a Dearborn, MI cop. He stole the weed from suspects, got high, called 911, and he wasn't charged. And some of you guys wonder why I get pissy with the police.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/10/cop-avoids-charges-in-pot-brownie-caper.html

Don't think he represents all, or even a lot of police. He represented himself only.Getting pissy because some fool gunowner accidentally shoots a fellow hunter isn't fair and balanced. And it doesn't represent gunowners or hunters.
    Didn't a bunch of "special agents" forget to disable one surveillance camera during a raid on a pot dispensary in Colorado, which promptly caught them in the act of eating some of the evidence? I think they were graduates of the Roscoe P. Coltrane police academy!
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    As long as the cannabis is sourced exclusively from domestic yields I don't care too much as long as there are standards for potency and DUI/DWI crimes.

All the crap coming out of Mexico from village-murdering cartels needs to stop. If they legalize weed and it's still coming out of Mexico I'll never support it.

I still think smoking weed as a medicinal thing will be less than 20% of those that obtain it. The rest are just minimum wage wastes that just want to get high and waste theirs and everyone else's time.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I still think smoking weed as a medicinal thing will be less than 20% of those that obtain it. The rest are just minimum wage wastes that just want to get high and waste theirs and everyone else's time.

Out here a lot of young folks have medicinal pot. When I go camping my children invite their friends and when standing around the campfire most of them are pulling out their prescription pot. I ask them how they got it and I get migraine headaches, back problems. A prescription of medicinal pot is just for the asking.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I wish the gooberment would declare war on Johnson Grass, Kudzu, and Canadian thistle. Again, maybe not; the war on drugs has spent billions and billions of dollars, and the problem is definitely worse than when they declared war on drugs.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Don't think he represents all, or even a lot of police. He represented himself only.Getting pissy because some fool gunowner accidentally shoots a fellow hunter isn't fair and balanced. And it doesn't represent gunowners or hunters.

Once again, you missed the point.

Neither his department nor the DA charged him with any crimes. It's almost like the police are above the law.

That was sarcasm, Eugene.

Adam J. McCleod

JasonMPD wrote: »
    As long as the cannabis is sourced exclusively from domestic yields I don't care too much as long as there are standards for potency and DUI/DWI crimes.

All of the weed sold recreationally and medicinally in Washington has strict source regulations. Farmers are licensed and must declare quantities. The retailers' records hafta match.

Adam J. McCleod

Buford wrote: »
    Out here a lot of young folks have medicinal pot. When I go camping my children invite their friends and when standing around the campfire most of them are pulling out their prescription pot. I ask them how they got it and I get migraine headaches, back problems. A prescription of medicinal pot is just for the asking.

In Washington, the difference between script and recreational weed is the tax. A Dr script doesn't pay sales (sin) tax.

Adam J. McCleod

Farmers are licensed and must declare quantities. The retailers' records hafta match.

Back when I was trucking, we had to run a log book- - - - - -better known by us drivers as "The funny papers". It wouldn't be uncommon to find a set of well-cooked books, IMHO.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Back when I was trucking, we had to run a log book- - - - - -better known by us drivers as "The funny papers". It wouldn't be uncommon to find a set of well-cooked books, IMHO.
    Jerry

Same with selling cattle at the sale barn. I would know within a few cents/lb what they were selling for before I got there, and knew the weights of what I had in the trailer. The 'pinhookers' would try to buy them before you unloaded, for cash. There were a few times I sold them in the trailer, and left with a wad of cash. Losing a couple hundred $$$ up front was better than the scalping good ol Unka Sam would give me on the 1040! :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Well...since truckers (and apparently cattlemen) skirt the system, pot farmers and retailers are most likely going to continue buying from the cartels, even when the farms and the stores are four miles apart. :uhm:

Ending prohibition ends the need for illegal importation. If people didn't have to worry about midnight police raids and property confiscation, they'd grow their own. Tax free....

Adam J. McCleod

Well, Ted Kazinski's neighbors probably cheat on their taxes, too, don't they?
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    I honestly could not care less if it is ever 'legalized'. I don't care if they "Do the right thing" - whatever that is - regarding drug use. My interest is far more pragmatic... I'm tired of my government spending billions of dollars per year in order to save me from potheads and other folks I have no interest in.

Set the standards, arrest the folks who operate impaired and leave the rest of us the Hell alone.

That's where I land on this one.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin