Tornadoes hit Texas

HappySquidHappySquid MemberPosts: 241 Member
Guys, was in te news here , at least 10 deadly victims this morning, All of you there OK ?

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,303 Senior Member
    Lots of wind and a little rain this morning. All ok here
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,201 Senior Member
    That crap is headed this way. Hope everyone is and stays safe.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Yeah. Parts of that came Here in the form of rain. LOTS of rain. Some places have gotten over ten inches in one day.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 776 Senior Member
    I was in Enid, OK the past few days - OKC had lots of damage from high straight line winds. Headed back to c-springs yesterday and now we're stranded in Garden City Kansas in a big snowstorm. About 8-10" on the ground, more coming down sideways. Vis less than 100 yards. Cars stuck in the parking lot. At least we're in an nice motel. Power is out right now. Weird weather this year.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    We had 4 tornadoes about 20-30 miles west of me, with 5 dead, 50 injured. One of those that was caught on cell phone video was a twin - a big one with a little skinny one dancing around it. Fortunately, for me, the path was nearly due north - very unusual. They nearly always track SW to NE, and that would have been close.

All I got from it was heavy rain, high winds, and hail, with a power outage for about 15 hours.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    We've had several here in MS this morning. 1 fatality so far.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    I have a need for speed
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    I was in Enid, OK the past few days - OKC had lots of damage from high straight line winds. Headed back to c-springs yesterday and now we're stranded in Garden City Kansas in a big snowstorm. About 8-10" on the ground, more coming down sideways. Vis less than 100 yards. Cars stuck in the parking lot. At least we're in an nice motel. Power is out right now. Weird weather this year.

If you make it back to Enid shoot me a PM and we will have supper. I am right near there.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    If you make it back to Enid shoot me a PM and we will have supper. I am right near there.

Thanks for the invite and I'll gladly take you up on that next time I'm there. I went down for a pilot class graduation at Vance. Let me know if you're ever near Colorado Springs.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the invite and I'll gladly take you up on that next time I'm there. I went down for a pilot class graduation at Vance. Let me know if you're ever near Colorado Springs.

Congratulations to the new pilot. I probably saw them flying around.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Congratulations to the new pilot. I probably saw them flying around.

No doubt you did. He did very well and was selected for F15E training, which was his first choice.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    Be careful out there, Ken. It was worse there than here.

The snopocolypse they'd predicted didn't happen here. Grass snow, and the roads are dry as a bone.

Mike

PS. They haven't gotten a single snow forecast right this whole winter here. The heaviest snow we got all winter was predicted to be a "dusting" only two hours before it hit. Turned out darn near a foot.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Be careful out there, Ken. It was worse there than here.

The snopocolypse they'd predicted didn't happen here. Grass snow, and the roads are dry as a bone.

Mike

PS. They haven't gotten a single snow forecast right this whole winter here. The heaviest snow we got all winter was predicted to be a "dusting" only two hours before it hit. Turned out darn near a foot.

Good to hear from you, Mike. This was pretty bad but we were in a good place while lots of people were stuck in shelters and sleeping on floors. Lucky we were here even though it was getting pretty cold after several hours without power. It was out to nearly the whole town. Still,better this than the tornadoes in Texas. Prayers to those folks. Should be okay to head for home in the morning.
    My niece is a photographer and was at the Canton, TX restaurant that was holding the 'prom' that was featured in the Fox News story. She finished her 'shoot' and left in the direction of the tornado's northerly path, apparently just before they all decided to take shelter in the bathrooms and closets. She saw the tornado in her rear view mirror, for several miles, before turning off to the east. She was quite excited when my oldest daughter talked to her on the phone, during her 'flight.'

All survived at that location, despite a near direct hit that totaled out the building.
    It appears that the leaders in the small towns in that area were pretty much overwhelmed by the situation, and when the governor rolled in to Canton, employed him as their chief organizer. He got some competent people there in a hurry, and is receiving very good grades for his response.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    It appears that the leaders in the small towns in that area were pretty much overwhelmed by the situation, and when the governor rolled in to Canton, employed him as their chief organizer. He got some competent people there in a hurry, and is receiving very good grades for his response.
    Yep, we have one of the best governors in the country. Greg Abbot is a Great American. Another one I like is Florida's Rick Scott. He's all over the map. Two great Governors of two Great States. There's some more good ones out there, but this is pushing my memory block!

:jester::tooth::rotflmao::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    All I know is that the last two mornings I've awakened to clear blue skies and sub 60 degree temps. Absolutely beautiful.

However, I send my heart felt condolences to those who weren't so fortunate. Tornadoes suck (No Pun Intended). They are the worst case of weather. They give little or no warning, they have devastating power, and they can change your life and take away your dreams in a matter of seconds.

If I have a choice and can't avoid one I'll take Hurricanes every time. I get a minimum 3-4 days warning, sometimes a lot more, I'm relatively high elevation wise here, and I have experience dealing with Hurricanes. There's nothing pleasant about either one, but at least I can deal with a Hurricane better.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,136 Senior Member
    We were about 40 miles sw of Ft. Worth (Granbury) all last week. It seemed cool and windy, but we didn't get any really bad weather. We drove back to Colorado yesterday, and saw remnants of snow starting se of Amarillo. Highway 64 heading west out of Clayton, NM to Raton was closed, and we had to detour, but didn't hit any bad roads.

The wind was horrible yesterday. Much of our drive was right into it, and it was reflected in our gas mileage. We drive a 2012 Honda CR-V, which usually gets about 30 mpg on the road. Much of the time we only got 19-20.

BTW, if anyone is planning a trip that includes a drive through Dalhart, you should reconsider. There's been construction going on for several months, and getting through that Podunk town is a mess. I think the construction effort is being headed by a **** 3rd grader.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    My :angel2: :angel2: for all those in the path of those storms.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!