Morel pics

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,218 Senior Member
The mushrooms are really popping right now...

morel_zpskzkq2hcf.jpg

morel1_zpssanxx0xp.jpg

And lunch:

morel2_zps47drjtfb.jpg
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,303 Senior Member
    I will never understand how the first person ever looked at one of those things and thought "that looks good enough to eat"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,026 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I will never understand how the first person ever looked at one of those things and thought "that looks good enough to eat"
    They were probably starving and figured "well I'm gonna die anyway...here goes"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    We have eaten things a whole lot uglier than that. Oysters, clams, and mussels? Eggs and milk are pretty gross too, once you start thinking about it.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,693 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Probably a cavewoman fed them to her caveman hoping he would die......... but didn't.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    I hate you.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,218 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I hate you.

One more pic to feed the hatred....

IMG_0276_zpsf5fco3lv.jpg

Ayn Rand
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,364 Senior Member
    Nice! Along with Jerm's comment. Who decided stuffing meat into a pig intestine would be good? Mmmmmmbrats
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,693 Senior Member
    It's been so long since I have eaten morels, I don't remember what they taste like..............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,212 Senior Member
    I miss hiking along the Wisconsin River when I lived in Madison and picking a grocery bag full. Even the people that didn't hunt them could pick some up at a farmers market. I recall someone on the forum picking them along their driveway a couple of years ago.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,560 Senior Member
    Still going here tooedbab8a0827a04747361a31300f7edf3.jpg1eda19e2fc63285f8761fbe859603a41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Still going here too

That thing is a TOAD!!!

They must be a different sub-species. The Kansas mushrooms are WAY bigger, have longer stems, and the cells are a bit different than what I see up here.

Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    They were probably starving and figured "well I'm gonna die anyway...here goes"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

HaHaHaHa, that's pretty good and probably very true. The ones that survived told everybody, "Yep, these are good to eat, but those other ones killed Fred and Bob so don't eat 'em!!!

:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Don't think we have those here in the Deep Southern Coastal Plain. We might, but I never remember seeing any, and I've spent my life in the woods. We do have one called a "Cantrelle" or something similar to this, and these will be coming in pretty soon now. I pick these and sell at the local Farmer's Market and get $15.00 a pound! If you know where to look in the woods (I do) you can pick 100-150 dollars' worth in 30-45 minutes!
    Don't think we have those here in the Deep Southern Coastal Plain. We might, but I never remember seeing any, and I've spent my life in the woods. We do have one called a "Cantrelle" or something similar to this, and these will be coming in pretty soon now. I pick these and sell at the local Farmer's Market and get $15.00 a pound! If you know where to look in the woods (I do) you can pick 100-150 dollars' worth in 30-45 minutes!

Fresh morels are going for $50+ per pound on Ebay. However, nobody is picking $150 worth in 30-45 minutes.

Ayn Rand
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    That thing is a TOAD!!!

They must be a different sub-species. The Kansas mushrooms are WAY bigger, have longer stems, and the cells are a bit different than what I see up here.
    Both the ones pictured are different than ours. Ours are more pointed.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,970 Senior Member

yep..it's a Chanterelle...and picking mushrooms can be stupid profitable - assuming you don't eat all of them. Up here high end restaurants will take them off your hands for a tidy profit. Besides morels, "Chicken of the Woods" and Shaggy Manes are popular as well.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Fresh morels are going for $50+ per pound on Ebay. However, nobody is picking $150 worth in 30-45 minutes.

Depending on the quality of the season, it's entirely possible in MI...This year is one of those...they're everywhere...
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    It's been so long since I have eaten morels, I don't remember what they taste like..............

Last time I gorged myself on morels was when my wife was introducing me to the Chippewa/Odawa side of the family...We showed up while the ladies were serving up a mess morels and fried Whitefish livers....right out of the fryer and dumped on a newspaper covered table....holy crap!...what a feed...
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,560 Senior Member
    Not a mushroom, but sometimes you stumble across other stuff 2ad9b27e652e9cc887b3571404bb2040.jpg

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    When i lived in Wisc. we used to pick them, if you find a good area you could get a bag full in an hour, in the fall we would get Oyster shrooms on Box Elder trees, Chicken of the Woods, and giant Puff Balls, slice them thin pop in the toaster add butter and jelly, great tasting.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,569 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Not a mushroom, but sometimes you stumble across other stuff 2ad9b27e652e9cc887b3571404bb2040.jpg

Too bad you didn't stumble on that before he started dieting.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    Went camping this past weekend. In the process of setting up the wall tent, I stomped a half dozen morels. Started looking and found a little over a plastic grocery sack full. They were smallish and a little darker than I remembered.

Hawk
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »
    Went camping this past weekend. In the process of setting up the wall tent, I stomped a half dozen morels. Started looking and found a little over a plastic grocery sack full. They were smallish and a little darker than I remembered.

Hawk
    eye h8 u
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,472 Senior Member
    I have no morels....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....