Reloading powders

gunner81gunner81 MemberPosts: 314 Member
I'm going to place an order for some primers for reloading and figure to get some powders to make the hazmat fee worthwile. I have several caliber pistols and rifles that I reload for and I'm looking for basically plinking powders that are pretty universal for different pistols and rifles. I have pistols from 9mm to 44 mag and just got a 243 and 7mm08 that I have nothing for. My 300 Win. Mag. is my go to deer rifle that is the only one that I want to find the best powder for. Thanks for any help or load advice

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,722 Senior Member
    Varget and Unique are two of the most versatile powders I can think of.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,559 Senior Member
    Add H4895 to the "versatile" list it can, and has, been used in everything from .17 caliber up through .458.

It's at its "best" in medium sized cases, but can be used in just about all of them.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    I use AA #7 for 9mm & 45ACP, 2400 & H-110 for 41 & 44 mag, 4895, 4350, 4831 takes care of almost all my rifles with 7828 for large mag cases, Most of my loads were developed years ago and i have not tried any of the newer powders, i use Fed. match primers for all rifle loads.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Don't primers and powder have to be shipped separately, with a hazmat fee for both packages?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't primers and powder have to be shipped separately, with a hazmat fee for both packages?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

No, unless you order from some places who store it in two locations. I order from those places who say combine both in same HAZMAT order for one fee.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    One place said the DOT has rules about storing it close to a busy highway exchange/population area is why or something like that.....................
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    gunner81 wrote: »
    I'm going to place an order for some primers for reloaultsding and figure to get some powders to make the hazmat fee worthwile. I have several caliber pistols and rifles that I reload for and I'm looking for basically plinking powders that are pretty universal for different pistols and rifles. I have pistols from 9mm to 44 mag and just got a 243 and 7mm08 that I have nothing for. My 300 Win. Mag. is my go to deer rifle that is the only one that I want to find the best powder for. Thanks for any help or load advice

I get good results in my 300 Wby with RL 25 with 180 grain bullets with nearly 3200 FPS and pretty accurate at MOA. The secret to mine is the brake. It recoils like a .308, but sounds like the "Guns of Navarrone."
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
    For pistol, Unique or Universal.

For the two rifle cartridges listed, I'd go with H4895 or IMR3031.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    I thought he said the .300 Win. Mag. was the only one he wanted to find the best powder for. Of those I've tried the RL 25 is the best I've found in my .30 Mag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Varget and Unique are two of the most versatile powders I can think of.
    Chief, I think those are two great powders, and I also like Bullseye and the IMR powders.(IMR3031,IMR 4064)
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    I like H1000, 4064, 3031 and 4831 for rifles, Clays and Red Dot for shotgun and target pistol, H110 and 2400 for magnum pistol. Keep yer powder dry............robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO