Home Main Category General Firearms

How long has it been

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,724 Senior Member
since you did NOT own a gun? Thinking about it, I think it's been about 59 years for me. Got my first gun at 13 and I've had one ever since.

Mostly more than one. My father died when I was 12, and my mother was from a family where guns were a big part of life. So for Christmas when I turned 13, she got me a single shot rifle. A Springfield, cheap gun, the kind you had to pull the striker back by hand. And a box of Remington Gold bullets. Killed a squirrel the next day. I bet I could walk to that tree today, if it hasn't been cut down.

Nothing beats the smell of burnt .22 rifle powder on a crisp winter morning. After a while, I grew to no longer liked the cheap .22 and can't remember what happened to it. Meanwhile, I had my brother's Winchester automatic to hunt with, and it soon replaced my Springfield. It had a "hardwood" stock and was pull cocking and I wanted a self-cocking gun with walnut. I was hooked on guns before then, but on guns belonging to others who'd let me shoot them.

Next year, I got a Winchester 37 shotgun, 12 ga. which I liked a lot. A keeper-in-the-family. Gave it to my nephew about ten years ago.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    63 years----a Remington 11-48
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Great question! 35 years ago my dad gave me a Savage 72 single shot 22lr.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My Dad gave me a used Marlin 336 to hunt deer when I was 16. I lost enterest in guns a hunting for about 6 or 7 years. I wanted to try elk hunting after moving to Colorado when I was 21. Bought an old model 700 Remington in 270 win. Went hunting with no equipment, none. Froze my butt off and lost interest. Rifle collected dust in the closet. Met a guy that was into guns and handloading. He had handguns. His old Ruger three screw was cool. I wanted one. Bought an old three screw 357 mag. Went to a gun show bought a big box of old gun publications. Got the bug to hunt again. My Dad had gave it up, but I talked him into going with me. This time I got some decent clothes and equipment. We went every year for over 15 years. I got the gun bug from reading and became an accumulater. Read about handloading for years, but wouldn't dip my toes until I found this forum.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    63 years----a Remington 11-48

Since about 1958. My dad bought me a Mossberg bolt action 410. Can't remember the model. But it was a cheap po s. Mossberg didn't put a lot of quality in some of their early guns. The safety was just a pivoting piece of metal that was supposed to slip between the trigger and the sear to keep it from releasing the firing pin. It wasn't a good fit and it didn't work. If my dad would have been a real gun guy at that point, he would have sent it back to Mossberg. Somebody told him he should have bought the Marlin, which was the better gun.

Anyway, a couple years after that he bought me a Savage 340 .30-30. I wanted a Remington 721 in .30-06. But you know the old saying, wish in one hand and Crap in the other and see which one fills up first. Then about 6 or 7 years later I had a real job and I bought the Model 70 push feed .270. Still got it and still use it. It's still my go to gun. WOW! That was almost 51 years ago. So I've had a gun continuously since about 1958. That's almost 60 years.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    46 years Browning BL 22.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Haven't been without one since 1972 and my Dad gave me my own Marlin 60
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    early wrote: »
    My Dad gave me a used Marlin 336 to hunt deer when I was 16. I lost enterest in guns a hunting for about 6 or 7 years. I wanted to try elk hunting after moving to Colorado when I was 21. Bought an old model 700 Remington in 270 win. Went hunting with no equipment, none. Froze my butt off and lost interest. Rifle collected dust in the closet. Met a guy that was into guns and handloading. He had handguns. His old Ruger three screw was cool. I wanted one. Bought an old three screw 357 mag. Went to a gun show bought a big box of old gun publications. Got the bug to hunt again. My Dad had gave it up, but I talked him into going with me. This time I got some decent clothes and equipment. We went every year for over 15 years. I got the gun bug from reading and became an accumulater. Read about handloading for years, but wouldn't dip my toes until I found this forum.

Ok now, you ain't gettin' off the hook so easy, tell us more about that .270. Inquiring minds want to know.....

:tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    If BB guns count, it was my 6th Christmas, Red Ryder. That would've been.....1987? I was passed down a 22 a couple years later. Had something ever since. I've honestly probably gone through 50-60 firearms in my hands. After.... I'd say....18 almost 19 when i was working at a pawn shop, I've had no less then 2. Last 10 years no less then 4.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,957 Senior Member
    Since I was about 6.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    will be 40 years for me this Christmas. Marlin Model 60, I still have it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    If you count growing up with rifles and shotguns being in the closet, then since I was born. Started taking out my Dad's little Winchester 06 pump gun by myself when I was 7-8 years old. Couldn't take anyone with me, however. Orders of my Grandfather by whom I was reared! I know--remember exactly--that when I was in the 3rd grade I would take the little Winchester '06 to school with me and squirrel hunt on the way home after school. Dad gave me a Marlin 39A for my 12th birthday.

If you were born in, and grew up in the Rural Deep South, then this was pretty well "standard operating procedure"!
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ok now, you ain't gettin' off the hook so easy, tell us more about that .270. Inquiring minds want to know.....

:tooth:

It was an old model with the bolt lock safety. It had been smoothed up and had nice trigger by the guy who sold it to me. He was a good friend of my Dad's that later died of cancer. The stock warped and it would walk its shots. I put a B&C stock on it. After that it put 3 factory 130gr Rem corelocks in a dime at 100 yards all day. When I first tested it the range officer thought it was a custom rifle. My Dad gave me my grandpas rifle some years ago and needed a deer rifle. I gave him the 270. After finding out how good it shot, he called me to ask me about it. I reminded him who I bought it from, and he was quite happy to now have the rifle.
    It was an old model with the bolt lock safety. It had been smoothed up and had nice trigger by the guy who sold it to me. He was a good friend of my Dad's that later died of cancer. The stock warped and it would walk its shots. I put a B&C stock on it. After that it put 3 factory 130gr Rem corelocks in a dime at 100 yards all day. When I first tested it the range officer thought it was a custom rifle. My Dad gave me my grandpas rifle some years ago and needed a deer rifle. I gave him the 270. After finding out how good it shot, he called me to ask me about it. I reminded him who I bought it from, and he was quite happy to now have the rifle.

But did you kill anything with it. I am probably one of two or three on here that will side with you on how good it can shoot. But what did you kill with it???
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    Nobody in my family was into or had guns, so never had one until i joined the Army and was on my own. Bought a Winchester 30-30 in 1978
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Bought my first firearm in 1969. Colt frontier Scout, still have it.

That really isn't that old. They made that family of rifles from like 1948 I think they named the latest version of it the Model 700 in like 1962. But it was basically the same rifle as the Model 721-722-725. I think they started making them with the bolt workable with the safety on in the 80s. So most that have been made are like the one you had and they worked just fine. My first one, a 1980 model in 6mm Remington, was the old style, I think, hell I can't remember now.

OK I did a search and went back in history a bit. It was 1982 when they changed the safety where the bolt could be operated with it on. I thought the safety on my first 700 in 6mm would lock the bolt when in the on safe position and I was right. Been a while since I saw that rifle.
    But did you kill anything with it. I am probably one of two or three on here that will side with you on how good it can shoot. But what did you kill with it???

Several full pop cans and on rag horn bull elk. All expired with one shot.:tooth:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    19 years for me. I was given a Ruger 10/22 for my 12th birthday. The count has mostly just gone up from there.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Several full pop cans and on rag horn bull elk. All expired with one shot.:tooth:

There's 3 or 4 of us on here that confess to killing something with a .270 Winchester. I've shot a slew of deer with this old model 70. It's not a pre 64 having been made in 1966. But it works and has worked well for almost 51 years. I bought it in August or September 1966.

cpj says he's gonna shoot it off Jerm's butt for a rest at the SE shoot this coming weekend. I'll be sure and make sure I bring it with enough rounds for that to happen. I still haven't been reloading but I'm going to start tomorrow after I buy some powder. I need some RL 17, some IMR 4831 and some IMR 4895. That will do it.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Over 40 years for me.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    Over 40 yrs for me, also.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Got my first,a Stevens 16 gauge single shot in 1959...haven't been without a firearm since...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My uncle gave me his 16 gauge Iver Johnson Champion single shot for Christmas in 1957. I passed it along to my son about 20 years ago. Other than a short time in the late 1970's when I decided not to own anything capable of shooting my ex, I've had a pretty good supply of rifles, shotguns, handguns, and archery equipment.
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I think I was 7, Red Ryder BB gun, so its at least 72 years. I bought my first real gun at about 10, dont remember the make but it was a single shot .22, after you loaded it you had to pull back the firing pin to shoot. I bought it at Mr. Sykes hardware on 79th. St, in Little River (Miami) I saved up enough money for a down payment and payed it off by cashing in pop bottles.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    A Daisy model 25 in 67 at the age of nine and my first powder burner at eleven in 69. My brother's attitude got me a 12ga single shot Springfield for my first gun on his birthday. My dad bought it for him and when dad handed it to my brother for his birthday, my brother's response was "I don't want that thing, I want one like yours"(a 12ga mod 12) and my dad felt pretty dejected and looked at me and asked "do you want it?" Of course I wanted it. Dad left me all of his guns and never even offered my brother another gun.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    My conversion didn't happen until my 20s. My first was my Winchester M70 Sporter LT in 7mm Rem Mag, bought to hunt with a friend. I still have it. That was only about 20 years ago.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    If we are talking BB guns, it's in the neighborhood of 60 years.

If we are talking gun powder, it's in the neighborhood of 57 years, continuous. Even when the burglars wiped me out, circa 1975, they failed to find my .30 caliber Blackhawk.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Hello, my name is Jack and I bought a Taurus Mod 85 for my first firearm in 1990 I was 21. :bang:

I was in the Navy at the time and I had originally put a deposit down towards a stainless colt commander, but Saddam invaded Kuwait and we were underway within 3 weeks so I had to pull the trigger on something or I'd lose my deposit. :bang:
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • Big TBig T New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I was about 4 or 5 when dear old dad gave me a Stevens Favorite, with the firing pin filed flat. That was my first gun and over sixty years ago. I first dragged, then carried that gun everywhere.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,248 Senior Member
    Well, the .22 I graduated to from the BB gun at about age 8 or 9 was in a closet since birth, so I guess, technically, never. Bought my first 870 at 12, so. . .what?. . .33 years if you want to be picky about it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee