Home Main Category General Firearms

Kel Tec PF9...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,654 Senior Member
Fondled one at the LGS the other day, any comments? I've heard/read that it can be a "hand killer", but don't know if it would be any different from any other gun of its class.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Hand killer, no. Ammo fickle, yes.

I had one. It ran all Federal SD rounds fine and Winchesters also. However, cheaper ammo for plinking suffered some light primer strikes. European and Russian ammo was out for sure. S&B and Wolf would see 5 to 6 light primer strikes per 20 rounds or so.

Your mileage may vary. I sold mine off after 300 rounds of shooting.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Gets a solid "meh" from here...I fail to be impressed by any of Kel Tec's offerings...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Got mine for less than just a few bucks less than other offerings. Like 33%

It is thin, and it is light. I think it is still the thinnest in its class,

As far as ammo, I have fed it Black hills, Norinco, and Rem cheapo and it has never failed to feed or fire.

It is more accurate than it should be for what it is. If using sights, you cant keep everything COM at 30 yds and under, it isnt the pistol.

It is "snappy" and the grip is rough on your hand. A half box range session is enough.

No safety, except a long rough trigger.

For its purpose, it is fine. That purpose it to have a gun with you. It is very light, it is very concealable, and it is at least a 9mm. I got another for the wife.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Gets a solid "meh" from here...I fail to be impressed by any of Kel Tec's offerings...
    cpj wrote: »
    When the Ruger, Kahr , and smith are a few bucks more. Hell no.

I've run across this attitude a fair amount regarding Kel Tec - where there's smoke there's fire?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I had one for a few years and carried it in hot weather. It was totally reliable, and accurate to MOBG, but what cpj said. When the Shield came out, it replaced the PF9.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    B, b, bu, but wouldn't you rather really have a Hi-Point C9? :jester:

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    There will probably be a couple of Shields there Saturday including mine in 9mm. You can try it side by side with the Glock43 if you would like
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    There will probably be a couple of Shields there Saturday including mine in 9mm. You can try it side by side with the Glock43 if you would like

They are a pretty good match-up. I shot a friend's Glock 43 and my Shield, back-to-back. Were it not for the add-on Apex straight trigger and sear upgrade, I likely would have favored the Glock, but it is a close call, in my opinion.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

I'll have a Shield in .40 that you're welcome to try. You might also look at the SCCY 9mm pistols. They're made in South Florida somewhere and they're pretty inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. They also come in a wide variety of colors so you can match them to your outfits.:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Zorba - go to You Tube. There are close to a zillion video reviews by pros and amateurs alike. An hour with You Tube will tell you all you need to know. Enjoy.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'll have a Shield in .40 that you're welcome to try. You might also look at the SCCY 9mm pistols. They're made in South Florida somewhere and they're pretty inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. They also come in a wide variety of colors so you can match them to your outfits.:jester:

Wife has a SCCY, did not plan to bring it, but if someone would like to give it a try I will put it in the case
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Wife has a SCCY, did not plan to bring it, but if someone would like to give it a try I will put it in the case

I've been looking at them for Debbie and I would like to shoot it please. I'll bring some ammo for it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I've run across this attitude a fair amount regarding Kel Tec - where there's smoke there's fire?

I feel the same way. I don't buy that many hand guns and when I have, they've been S&Ws and the last was a Springfield Armory. Any firearm I buy will be something I'll be proud to show you. I'm not really a pistol snob, but I am proud of the few I have.

But then again, those people at places like Taurus and Kel Tech gotta make a living too. I wish them well but I say what ever trips the buyer's trigger.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Bigchief is bringing his lc9s. The trigger I tried at the gun store made me question that the pistol I was holding was indeed a Ruger.

They make a fancier version of the LCP also that has a much better trigger and sights.
    The Talo LC9 not only is prettier *her gun* but also has a better trigger. Its not great but a typical DA