Home Main Category General Firearms

Looks like Jesse James Smith and Wesson Schofield found

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
While out riding horses on the ranch a couple weeks ago I saw the side of a bottle sticking out of the ground. When I dug it up it was a Dr Pepper 10, 2 & 4 bottle made in 1934 in my home town of Olney TX. It had a lot of stains on the inside and despite everything I tried I couldn’t get the stains out. I decided to send it off to a professional bottle cleaner in western OK.

I sent the bottle off and the guy who’s going to clean gave me a call on Sat to confirm delivery and to let me know there wasn't going to be much he could do with the metal rack ring around the bottle. I told him to do his best.

During our conversation, we got on the topic of guns. He told me to look for a History Channel special this summer called “Found”. He claims to have the Smith and Wesson Schofield Jesse James had on him the day he was shot in the back of the head and killed. He came across the gun many years ago in an auction and was told it belonged to the James gang. He said when he got home looking under a magnifying glass he noticed a tiny spec of blood on the ivory handle. He took the ivory handles off and underneath was a lot of dried blood and five signatures by Jesse James himself. He said the signatures have all been authenticated by multiple experts including the historians the History channel used to authenticate them. The quill ink that Jesse used to sign his name had turned brown and that was consistent with quill ink as it takes 125 years to turn brown as Jesse’s been dead for 135 years.

The history channel flew in the only living male relative of Jesse James so they could do a DNA match, which is in the process. The first DNA company said they only had the capabilities of going back 75 years so they now have another DNA forensic team with the capabilities of going back further.

If this is all true what an epic and historical find. He said auction companies have said the pistol could go for as much as $20M. He said he wants a stipulation that it will be turned over to museum after auction.

I look forward to seeing the special when it comes out.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    Cool story, bro!

I hope its true.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Let's hope the History Channel doesn't fugue it up like some of their other specials! They don't have the world's best track record when dealing with gun-related stuff!
    Jerry
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    That is some story! Hopefully it works out.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I thought he took his guns off before adjusting the wall picture?:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    Hope this turns out...there are a whole bunch of " Jessie James pistols " out there due to his mother's penchant for claiming any old pistol she dug up belonged to her "baby boy".
    They could be had for a song...complete with a story to go with it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    Kudos, Jeff, nice find! This is a piece of our history.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    OK.... First I hope it is true, but....

125 years ago, who was signing the inside of pistol grips? That set off my BS detector.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    This is a related story, but only partly so.

In the 60s, my father and I were tilling soil on our property for a garden. We discovered a whetstone, about 6 inches long and along the side, were scratched the letters "YOU G R" The spaces denoted missing letters that had worn off of the stone. The only name that seemed to fit was YOUNGER. I was sort of a history nut, and knowing that three of the younger brothers (Cole, James and Bob) had been held in a prison less than 30 miles away from my home, inspired me to look to local information to determine if any local residents were named Younger. I couldn't find a one. The local library had records going back to the 1830s. No Youngers.

One has to wonder about finds like this. The Youngers were a prolific clan and having some of their more notorious members in Stillwater Prison might cause a few relatives to make the trip to the area to visit, or scout out the possibility of springing them.

We'll never know.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Hope this turns out...there are a whole bunch of " Jessie James pistols " out there due to his mother's penchant for claiming any old pistol she dug up belonged to her "baby boy".
    They could be had for a song...complete with a story to go with it....

Just like the huge number of Lugers and Walthers that belonged to Hitler, Goering, Jodl, et al. Still, it would be cool if this can be authenticated.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wow, who has 25 million (?) just to buy it and put it in a museum?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    I'm skeptical.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I thought he took his guns off before adjusting the wall picture?:uhm:

That is the same thing I ask him. He said that is correct, but the story has it his wife ran to him rolled him over to see if he was still a live and was covered in his blood. She then grabbed his pistol from the holster to shoot Robert Ford which is how the blood got on and seeped under the grips and the gun. However Robert Ford was already out the door and on his horse.

I'll wait for the special but if it's true it's a really cool find.

Wow, no love here, nobody said I sure want to see your 83 year old Dr Pepper bottle once I have it all cleaned up. :uhm:

No worries I'll post it when I get it back.:applause:

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That's cool but you really expected that around here the bottle would be the focus point!?!?!?!?

Nope just humoring myself before heading off to meetings in the Tallahassee area today!

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    Cool story; DNA will be the irrefutable proof.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    OK.... First I hope it is true, but....

125 years ago, who was signing the inside of pistol grips? That set off my BS detector.

D

Well, he was a thief who's acquaintances were thieves. I can see him marking his stuff in case it was stolen.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Well, he was a thief who's acquaintances were thieves. I can see him marking his stuff in case it was stolen.........

5 times?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    5 times?

D

OCD?

tumblr_nzje1k41xM1uwz302o5_r1_500.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    OCD?

htgif
    You want OCD, come to the shoot I'm bring OCD!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    You want OCD, come to the shoot I'm bring OCD!

Old **** Disorder? :uhm:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Old **** Disorder? :uhm:
    Mrs. Clean; but, maybe your version, too.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Heck Ned, what did the papers say since you were around back in the James Gang days :tooth: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    5 times?

D

He must have misspelled his own name 4 times huh?
    Well, I saw some ole Dr Pecker bottles at the museum in Waco :tooth: .............Texas Ranger museum is much mo better :guns: :guns:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Well, I saw some ole Dr Pecker bottles at the museum in Waco :tooth: .............Texas Ranger museum is much mo better :guns: :guns:

You're first person I know whose ever stopped in the Texas Ranger Museum. We've driven by it a gazillion times growing up and just never stopped. BTW, that's where the first Dr Pepper bottling plant opened in 1885. The more famous Dublin Texas DP bottling plant opened in the early 1890's and closed in 2012. They still made the cane sugar DR which was our favorite. The Olney Texas plant opened in 1925 if I'm remember correctly.

I'll try to make it a point to stop in on my next trip down I 35 heading south!

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    If true, quite amazing.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Watched a history chancel special that interviews some folks that checked out to be his legit relatives and they possessed items of his that could have only been kept had his death been staged. It was something I watched a while ago and the details are fuzzy but it was interesting nonetheless.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    The History Channel is right now showing "Ancient Aliens." All day long. Not sure I'd trust them.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    And I thought that our L.A. version was boring by airing in a loop those slobs in a Vegas pawn shop....