Home Main Category General Firearms

Here is the new Mod 70

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
Picked it up, here are a few pics of the gun and its future stock. Currently a 25-06 Model 70 Classic, so its a Crf gun. I picked up a Zeiss Terra X3 that may end up on it. It'll be Going to JES Reboring in Oregon soon to become a 9.3x62mm. It'll probably have to get shortened to 23" or so to have enough barrel wall to be safe. I haven't measured yet, but I'd rather have a little less than 24" anyways

20170523_210839_zpsmebrpkhx.jpg

20170523_211015_zpsmwlcybtr.jpg
20170523_211037_zpsa55k1rlh.jpg

20170523_211052_zpsjgtuqons.jpg

20170523_211122_zpsp5ebpi6t.jpg
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Very nice. Will this be your prairie dog rifle of choice. :guns:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Quite the nice stock.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Very nice. Will this be your prairie dog rifle of choice. :guns:

Ha! I do wonder what a 286gr bullet would do to a pdog....I don't imagine it opening.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Ha! I do wonder what a 286gr bullet would do to a pdog....I don't imagine it opening.

I'm pretty sure it would. That prairie dog, that is.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Very nice, do you lose some weight with the new stock vs. the laminate stock?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Very nice, do you lose some weight with the new stock vs. the laminate stock?

Yes, it's a slimmer profile all around, besides just being lighter vs laminate. It won't be super light, especially if i do go with the Zeiss vs a Leupold 4x, but as long as its under 9lbs I'm happy. Can't go TOO light considering the 35-40 ftlbs of recoil
    Yes, it's a slimmer profile all around, besides just being lighter vs laminate. It won't be super light, especially if i do go with the Zeiss vs a Leupold 4x, but as long as its under 9lbs I'm happy. Can't go TOO light considering the 35-40 ftlbs of recoil

I was wondering if you were mad at your shoulder:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I was wondering if you were mad at your shoulder:jester:

That'll be the relief lol the 375 WBY will be in the mid 40s, the 10.75 will be between the 9.3 and 375 most likely.
    That'll be the relief lol the 375 WBY will be in the mid 40s, the 10.75 will be between the 9.3 and 375 most likely.

Good thing you are a brewer, you are going to need some liquid pain relief with that trifecta.

Speaking of pain relief, Minnesota Shooter scored me a bottle of Barrel Aged Darkness from last year:applause:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    That stock is gorgeous......nice grab!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Good thing you are a brewer, you are going to need some liquid pain relief with that trifecta.

Speaking of pain relief, Minnesota Shooter scored me a bottle of Barrel Aged Darkness from last year:applause:

Hey, ya gotta pay to play! The cost of shooting big bullets is big recoil
  • Big TBig T New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Beautiful stock-finish?
    Big T wrote: »
    Beautiful stock-finish?

Very light stain, it's not been finished yet. Its a factory Winchester stock, from their custom shop before the New Haven plant closed in....06?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That rifle has class. You are going to have to sneak up on it in the safe.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Very nice. Make a pretty nice goat gun in original configuration. I'm going to need to try it out in the 9.3 though:love:

sako
    If it was a pf 25-06, I would've left as is. I have kicked around the idea of rebarreling the pf 270 to 25-06. Got the 243 for goats, but I do like having overlapping purpose specific guns. Of course over in Africa no one bats an eye when you use a 9.3 for springbok, impala or ****-****.....so isn't it also, a goat gun?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    If it was a pf 25-06, I would've left as is. I have kicked around the idea of rebarreling the pf 270 to 25-06. Got the 243 for goats, but I do like having overlapping purpose specific guns. Of course over in Africa no one bats an eye when you use a 9.3 for springbok, impala or ****-****.....so isn't it also, a goat gun?

I like the way you think:jester:

Sako
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    9.3 x62 is cool MHS
    I have an old 1640 husky made in the early 60's I think
    It shoots really well with hornady 286gr SP-RP interlocks at about 2360fps with a fairly full case of h4895/ adi 2208
    others here have had good results with varget.
    Good Bc as well easily a 300yr game rifle once you know your trajectory
    I look forward to viewing the finished product.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    Lookn forward to seeing new stock
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member

Would it be worth having a brake installed?
    Would it be worth having a brake installed?

So-so, by standard loadings (factory and conservative load data.... which is 99% of it) its a low pressure round. The brakes are still effective, but you get a bigger reduction with higher pressure. Running it in the 60k and up pressure, which the M70 is fully capable, those 286gr will run over 2500fps, 250gr in the 2750 range. It would help those loads

Saying that, I won't put a brake on it, or any of the guns that may ever be used on a guided hunt. They hate them, especially if its an animal that fights back. Plus it would ruin the look of a Classic gun. I don't any braked guns anymore, I've considered it for long range or bench guns, but that's it.