Home Main Category General Firearms

rifle value question

Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors MemberPosts: 314 Member
Marlin 357 carbine, JM stamped barrel, metal and bore look like new wood has a couple dings, owner bought it new and has shot 1 box of ammo through it. Comes with see through scope mounts and a tasco 3X9 scope.
It has factory sling swivels/studs.

Looking at gunbroker has it around $550- what is a real world value?

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Was a time that rifle would be stupid expensive.... Now I'd say 450-550. If I were makinf a run at it start low and work you way up. Offer 475 and they can keep the "scope and mounts." Just to be clear I detest see through mounts and most tasco scopes.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Was a time that rifle would be stupid expensive.... Now I'd say 450-550. If I were makinf a run at it start low and work you way up. Offer 475 and they can keep the "scope and mounts." Just to be clear I detest see through mounts and most tasco scopes.

This. Especially the last sentence. You would be money ahead to leave that garbage with the seller.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Seems like $550 is the starting point in my neck of the woods, nobody budges too much, and I don't see them often.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Marlin/Remington not presently making an 1894 .357, so there's a certain amount of "how bad do you want it?" to contend with. You also have the fact that it's one of the most popular Cowboy Action rifle/cartridge combos working against you.

I judge "real world value" not by what is listed on Gunbroker, but by what is listed on Gunbroker that is actually GETTING BIDS. I just did a scan for "Marlin 1894 .357", and there's plenty with bids going north of $700.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,734 Senior Member
    I've got one in .44 Mag and wouldn't take $600 for mine.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    :agree:
    Gene L wrote: »

Me too! robin :agree:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Awesome- got it for $350- pics coming soon
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Great snag!! You suck, big time!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

I could not have gotten my wallet out fast enough....you suck, nice grab.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    he is a recent retiree- selling some safe queens to buy a long range MSR and big money scope- he got bit by the bug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Absolute steal. $700+ is a real world value if the wood is good.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 769 Senior Member
    I got mine unfired for $600 several years ago. It was from 1981 and still had the K-Mart tag on it. I love that gun, one of my all time favorites
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »

As far as I'm concerned they can keep those stupid silly see through mounts but as for the scope, depends on how old it is. The old Japanese made Tascos were great scopes for the money. Of course they were not expensive so if this is a **** made Tasco, I'd take it but I wouldn't pay a lot extra for it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member

Oh hell that's a good price.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,734 Senior Member
    Just a great price!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    made in 1980- scope and mounts installed by owner- Tasco 2.5 x 10 x 44- on a 357 carbine- It will be gone soon. He had the front sight hood too.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Ok, now you officially suck!!!! Congrats.

Sako
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    :agree:

Me too! robin :agree:

I have one of the 1894 .44 Mag carbines, too. Fun shooter!

You stole it! And :yousuck::tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    made in 1980- scope and mounts installed by owner- Tasco 2.5 x 10 x 44- on a 357 carbine- It will be gone soon. He had the front sight hood too.

Did you ask what else he was selling?
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Did you ask what else he was selling?

he also has the .44 mag version and is thinking about letting it go- I have first dibs on it. He bought them at the same time.
    he also has the .44 mag version and is thinking about letting it go- I have first dibs on it. He bought them at the same time.

I hope you get that too:applause: