Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report: Savage 10 Ashbury Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,742 Senior Member
Though impending travel commitments led me to make the hard decision to forgo the SE Shoot this year, I couldn't bring myself to go the entire weekend without putting some rounds down range. As such, I set off to a local indoor 100yds range with my Savage 10 Ashbury Precision in 6.5 CM to zero and get some preliminary groups.

My barrel break in procedure was to shoot 30 rounds through the rifle. Please don't tell on me to Snake...

As you may be able to see, the bench is less than sturdy. While I believe this hindered the performance a bit, I was still able to get a decent bead on performance.

65a873f63125becdb59fd73e5d3ac183.jpg

I started with Hornady match ammo featuring a 140gr ELD bullet. I quickly zeroed and then did a slow fire, 3 shot group with the optic at max power. While the group was sub MOA, I feel I can get better out if it. (Each square on the target is 1 square inch)

56727c0588909c6f5b15c80bfd99cd65.jpg

I then "shot the box" to test the repeatability of the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, also cranking it down from 24x to about 8x to see if it maintained zero (it did). Due to ammo limitations I shot 2 3-shot groups and 2 2-shot groups. While the angle of the paper in the photo is deceiving, I believe the optic was consistent. It is definitely slightly canted, which I need to rectify.

d41598faa73b0fec0bfa8046475d77dd.jpg

I then switch to Hornady Precision Hunter ammo, loaded with a 143 gr ELD-X bullet. I haven't busted out a tape measure yet, but the group yielded about 1/2 MOA center-to-center. This is the load I hope to hunt with, so that is promising.

f6bcc6ee56cf4a198d01c85439c4a936.jpg

I was running out of time for a commitment I had to meet some friends at the beach (sometimes life can be hard), so I cranked the optic down to 6x and blasted off 7 more rounds of the Precision Hunter ammo. 5 rounds from the AI style magazine and then single loading the last 2 rounds.

c872426525bf9f11d1a54f598ac9b6a9.jpg

My attempt at a "through the optic" photo.

e0e95b35f23594b85e0e704a6e132ca9.jpg

My thoughts on the rifle and round:

- The rifle shows a ton of potential. I fully expect sub 1/2 MOA from a more solid rest. Honestly though, I fully expect this from a factory blue printed action. I also need to go back and make sure all screws are torqued down correctly.

- The Accu-Trigger leaves a lot to be desired. Noticeable creep (after taking up the slack of the safety blade) and about 1/4" or so of over travel. I expected a LOT better to be honest. I will probably replace it with a Timney.

- I'm not 100% sold on the chassis. It's rock solid and the MagPul CTR with .75" riser is actually both solid and fits quite well. However, the OAL of the chassis is noticeably more than a conventional stock, the pistol grip requires it to sit higher on a bench, and it is HEAVY. I may end up replacing it with a traditional fiberglass stock and AI compatible bottom metal if I think I can sell the chassis. For now I am going to work with it and see how my opinions change with more use.

- I'm very pleased with the Vortex optic. I haven't pushed its capabilities very far thus far but it looks promising. I'm also very fond of the Mil adjustments and FFP reticle.

- As far as the round, count me in as a fan. Noticeably milder recoil than a similar weight .308, match grade ammo for under $27/box, and ever growing popularity make me happy I chose it.

I currently have no modifications planned for this rifle except to add a SilencerCo muzzle break for my incoming can, and potentially add a Timney trigger as previously discussed. My current goal is to stretch it out further (I have access to a 1000yds range) and give a Precision Rifle Series match a try.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    There are much better triggers than the Accu-Trigger. Timney, Rifle Basix, Sharp Shooter Supply to name a few.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    There are much better triggers than the Accu-Trigger. Timney, Rifle Basix, Sharp Shooter Supply to name a few.

You just shot a 100 yard 1/2 inch group with hunting ammo and a poor rest. The only thing that gun really needs is custom ammo and a steady rest. Anything else you do to it is going to give you very small returns. I am betting that good hand loads bring that gun down to 1/4 MOA, and that really is about as good as it gets.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Ive never seen a 100 yrd indoor range before. Cool!
    I dont like that bench set up for serious accuracy testing, but I would have used it too. That's a very good rifle, just needs some time.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    You just shot a 100 yard 1/2 inch group with hunting ammo and a poor rest. The only thing that gun really needs is custom ammo and a steady rest. Anything else you do to it is going to give you very small returns. I am betting that good hand loads bring that gun down to 1/4 MOA, and that really is about as good as it gets.

IMHO

D

The Accu-Trigger is miles better than what it replaced, it is also miles away from a GOOD trigger. 1/4" of creepy travel is not acceptable. Especially not for that rifles intended uses. It may not yield any measurable improvement in group size but to someone used to a better quality trigger it will make the rifle more enjoyable and easier to shoot. I have replaced two Accu-Triggers so far and will replace another.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Ive never seen a 100 yrd indoor range before. Cool!
    I dont like that bench set up for serious accuracy testing, but I would have used it too. That's a very good rifle, just needs some time.

It's pretty close to my house and for what it is the prices are reasonable. They even have insulation on the walls which goes very far in reducing the usually obnoxious indoor range noise.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

IMHO

D

This is a very good point, but ultimately I do want a better trigger. I do intend to load for both this and my 7mm08, but for the time being work and travel preclude that right now.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    This is a very good point, but ultimately I do want a better trigger. I do intend to load for both this and my 7mm08, but for the time being work and travel preclude that right now.

You need a friend with reloading equipment.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    You need a friend with reloading equipment.

D

Generous donations from forum members have me well equipped with everything but time...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    That is very nice, I was at a friends today for a graduation party and he just got out on the Ruger version he received, after a year or so wait, a few weeks ago at 100 yds and is itching it get it out to 300, the friends house he was at is working on the neighbors to make a 1000yd range, something not common around me at all, he is seeing some good things with his rifle. They were very happy with the Ruger trigger, it surprised the 2 guys he was with when they took their first shots and it went bang an instant before they thought it would. Interested to see how you work with yours:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »
    That rest is a piece of crap

Someday I hope I can afford a UCI rest.
    Dad 5-31-13
    That rest is a piece of crap

I think it hindered me a bit. A guy I know is supposedly working on something a bit better...
    Heard that guy had 8 hours alone to think. He's gonna email a place on Tuesday to get another free sample of some parts. If that fails, he will order some bits from Amazon or eBay likely.

Well all I need to know from that guy is a place to send the check and for how much. I'm not too concerned about wait time.
    I'll have him get with you when the time comes. If some jackass in Michigan hadn't of badgered the crap out of him to make it windage adjustable...

I'll abide by the wisdom of the jackass in Michigan. Perhaps against my better judgement I trust both of those men and the day I hear they're ready to take orders my money will be out the same hour. I'm willing to wait...