Home Main Category Clubhouse

Poet's final thoughts on the SE Shoot 2017

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,202 Senior Member
1) Once again, the shoot was a RESOUNDING success

2) Best I can tell, we had two first time forum members (Centermass556 and Zorba) and one first time wife (Mrs BigAl) show up this year. All were a JOY to get to know. Both of the members struck me as being the same IRL as their online persona. BigAl "married up" :tooth: (Zorba is HILLARIOUS and CM is even more thoughtful and articulate. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the time I spent talking one on one with each of them)

3) If I hit the lottery, I want to hire Jermanator and crew as my personal chef. I also think he needs to write a cookbook. THAT MAN CAN COOK :worthy: I'm not slouch in the kitchen.. but **** :worthy:

4) 13 (or was it 14?) years ago, when Jerry and I discussed having a SE shoot, and he, Mary (who, I believe, wasn't a forum member yet) TennMike & myself, plus a couple of Jerry's friends were the only ones there. I never thought, these many years later, it would be the HUGE success it has turned into.
In the early years, with Jerry's permission, I pretty much ramrodded them. The first few years, we had them on Labor day weekend. NEWS FLASH, south central TN is FREAKIN' HOT the first weekend in September. I don't remember who finally realized Memorial day weekend would be cooler, or when we made the change, but it's been a "can't miss" event every since.

5) While I may have had a hand in starting these things, without a doubt in my mind, the MAIN reason for the continuing success rests squarely on the shoulders of a couple living in south Central Tn, who continue to open their home and farm to a bunch of folks they originally knew, just as names on a computer screen.

So please allow me this indulgence of public thanks to the couple responsible for making the shoot what it is, and allowing a bunch of anonymous, faceless people from a gun forum to meet, eat, shoot and fellowship together at their home/farm.
During all of the above a MAGICAL transformation occurred and this place went from just a "gun forum" to a gun forum FAMILY.

Jerry and Mary THANK YOU, seems so inadequate for all the hard work, stress and sleepless nights hosting these things have caused you over the years, However, I can't find any words capable of expressing the debt of gratitude we, the forum, owe you.
So once again THANK YOU for opening your hearts and home to us all!!!!
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    And my favorite/funniest part happened Friday evening.

After the FABULOUS meal, I asked Zorba if he wanted to see where the shoot was, and see the infamous Big Chicken. He did, so we loaded up and off we go. Showed him around Jerry & Mary's and then headed to the Chicken. Along the route between the two, you pass Bee Springs church and its artesian well. I asked him if he'd heard the legend of the well (If you drink water from the well, you WILL return to it)? He had and when I asked, he did want to stop and get a drink.

The church cleans up its grounds and the cemetery across the street every year for Memorial day. There were a group of younger folks standing out in front when I pull up. I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and they look at me funny, then Zorba walks around from tha passenger's side in a long skirt.

I'm not sure what they thought, but I wouldn't be surprised if they thought he and I were a "couple" :yikes:
    Or it might have just been a shock for them to see a man in a skirt.

Whichever may be the case, I suspect Zorba, and possibly myself, will be a topic of discussion/concern/prayer for a WHILE :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Whichever may be the case, I suspect Zorba, and possibly myself, will be a topic of discussion/concern/prayer for a WHILE :rotflmao:

Yepper doodles! I'm sure they'll be talking about us LONG after we're gone!

And I'll add my thanx to everyone. I was telling somebody that the best way to learn something is to hang out with those who have been doing it for a long time...

... I learned a LOT! CPJ was very patient with some of my cluelessness - and Ned had some very good advice for me as well. Teach reminds me of a shop teacher I had in H.S. who was a big influence on my life. Goddess Bless shop teachers!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,882 Senior Member
    I'm glad it was another rousing success. Next year I will NOT miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'm glad it was another rousing success. Next year I will NOT miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA, unless "Duty Calls" :usa: :usa:

We missed you and Wambli, Farm Boy (but the feller I get confused with him (BML :tooth: ) was there, Woodsrunner, Sixgun and all the rest who couldn't make it.

I/we did get to meet a fine young man centermass (Shane) and some other first time attendees like Zorba and others.

Ditto on Paul's comments. :applause: :applause:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    HA, unless "Duty Calls" :usa: :usa:

We missed you and Wambli, Farm Boy (but the feller I get confused with him (BML :tooth: ) was there, Woodsrunner, Sixgun and all the rest who couln't make it.

I/we did get to meet a fine young man centermass (Shane) and some other first time attendees like Zorba and others.

Ditto on Paul's comments. :applause: :applause:

Meeting all the members of the forum again, as well as Zorba, Centermass, Snake and others is always a distinct pleasure for me. Teach and Mary opening their home and hearts to friends and strangers alike is an experience that is pretty unique in a world that is otherwise pretty indifferent or outright cold. Their friendship is something I will always value highly. My thanks to Jerm for his wonderful cooking and CPJ for his "advice for spice," and to everyone that provided food and desserts for all of us to enjoy.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    Thanks for the compliments on the cooking. I would open up a restaurant because I love cooking and cooking for crowds-- I actually enjoy it. The only problem is that it would require dealing with customers. I HATE customers!

Obvious thanks go to Jerry and Mary. Not only are they gracious hosts, but they drive themselves to the verge of exhaustion in an effort to make sure we all have a great time. Alvin and his wife are friends of Mary and Jerry-- they come there every year with the sole purpose of making this happen. Jerry's daughter Debbie and son in law, Steve work their butts off to not only make us some of the best ribs I have ever had, but make sure we have a great time on Saturday evening. I cannot understate the amount to time,effort, and money they plow into this every year for us. Tennmike, Cpj, Fishead, and others put in the hard work (typically on a hot ass humid day) of getting the range set and broken down. Jerry's son Doug is always there to lend a hand where ever it is needed. The ladies of the "Apron Brigade" work their butts off making every year a success.

Fishead-- Besides all the range work he does, he is an awesome cook. It wouldn't be the same without him. If I ever did open that restaurant, I would absolutely have to work with him. He is a blast to cook with! He would have no problems giving those pesky customers directions to Hell either.

On my end-- Nic, Ana, Jeff and Cpj were a huge help! Even back in Michigan, Mrs. Jerm put quite a bit of effort into cleaning up my messes and helping out with the food in preparation for the Shoot.

Many hands make light work and it is a lot of work for the people making it happen. I am NOT the forum caterer! I just happen to have some knowledge and equipment that applies to it, and try to reduce some of the very heavy burden of pulling off an event like this. I appreciate everyone's compliments and kind words, but I am only doing a small part to lend a hand.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    Yeah, Shane is an alright guy for a Doggie that is!!!!!!!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Had a great time. Shooting Mike's .50BMG was a hoot. Got a good laugh on Sunday, when Diver43 told me that Teach's SIL bumped into him and said, "Oh....you shaved". He had mistaken Diver for me........hope Diver didn't slap him too hard.......he is a pretty good kid. And I think I'm in love.........just don't know if it's BigAl's wife or Zorba.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    olesniper wrote: »
    And I think I'm in love.........just don't know if it's BigAl's wife or Zorba.

We're both Belly Dancers, but beyond that pretty dis-similar! :tooth:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    Had a great time. Shooting Mike's .50BMG was a hoot. Got a good laugh on Sunday, when Diver43 told me that Teach's SIL bumped into him and said, "Oh....you shaved". He had mistaken Diver for me........hope Diver didn't slap him too hard.......he is a pretty good kid. And I think I'm in love.........just don't know if it's BigAl's wife or Zorba.

I think I called you Ron last year, soooo. I don't think my wife wears long skirts!
    I am thinking a taco/burrito/nacho bar next year if everyone is up to it. Yes, I will streamline things a little more. It worked, but we could have done more with less and done it easier. But that is how we learn.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    Taco/burrito bar isn't simplifying things. Too many individuals ingredients.
    Steak sammiches are DELICIOUS, easy to cook and assemble.
    Jerm, I think CPJ is spot on. Your steak sandwiches were lost in the mass of food Saturday. I'd LOVE having them for dinner at the hotel Friday 5/25/18

Or maybe Brats, grilled onions & peppers (and whatever else youse guys normally put on them) some mustard and a few boxes of the assorted chips

Giving you guys hoagie does have a nice ring to it...

I will think about it. We got some time.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Giving you guys hoagie does have a nice ring to it...

I will think about it. We got some time.
    Only 361 days, pretty much to the hour

Also: see my edit about brats above

knitepoet wrote: »
    Only 361 days, pretty much to the hour

Also: see my edit about brats above
    Meh on the brats. We can do better than that. I am not saying they aren't good, but just saying-- you can get that anywhere. If I did do something like that, it would be a "Taste of Flint/Michigan" type of theme. The pasta sauces and antipasto salad I made were a very close approximation to the local Italian restaurant I used to work at.
    -Thomas Paine
    Okay, I was thinking quicker/easier/less labor intensive than the spread we had Friday

Now if it was bratwurst made with the pigs Zee killed using salt evaporated from the tears of crying children... those would make for some interesting brats!
    -Thomas Paine
    Now if it was bratwurst made with the pigs Zee killed using salt evaporated from the tears of crying Liberals... those would make for some interesting brats!

FIFY

zorba wrote: »
    FIFY
    Maybe for you, but I personally don't want anything to do with what comes out of Alpha's body.
    -Thomas Paine
    Maybe for you, but I personally don't want anything to do with what comes out of Alpha's body.

Snort! Yea, ya's gots a point. OTOH, enough heat will kill anything!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Thanks to everybody that cooked all that GOOD food Fri. and Sat. night. It was all really good. And thanks to Teach and Miss Mary for putting up with a bunch of crazy people again for a weekend of shooting, eating, and just hanging out!

Saturday night the weather threw us a curve ball with the thunderstorm. Ron (Diver43) and his wife and I were standing under an umbrella while it was raining and I was chowing down. Ron's wife commented that I wasn't slowing down eating during the rainstorm! Couldn't let good food go to waste! And it was GOOD! :roll2:

The bamboo used to hold the Tannerite above the ground made for longer distances and easier to see targets. I'll do some experimenting this summer with 'additives' to the Tannerite to make more flash and boom in the same sized package.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Ok. Some ideas (or an explanation of why I am fat)....

I got a commercial french fry cutter. I got a fryer. It will be there to fry whitefish the next day anyway. No extra money for oil. Just a bag of potatoes, fry, and salt. Done.

Halo Burgers with the olives?
    http://haloburger.com/
    Koegel hotdogs (the same Flint based company that makes that pickled baloney and braunschweiger) with Flint style coney sauce and/or red sauce?
    http://www.mlive.com/grandblanc/index.ssf/2008/08/the_hot_dog_stand_bottles_and.html
    Big John Steak and Onion subs (like I had on Saturday)
    I have a 5' event grill and can cook up 8 chickens in about an hour. I used to do up to 32 at a time when I worked/managed a Yaya's Flame Broiled Chicken and can do it in my sleep. 8 chickens= 32 2 piece chicken dinners. After a million or so times over the years, I got very good at making a show out of cutting up the whole birds in front of the customers. I got some wicked knife skills. Serve with macaroni salad, cole slaw, and baked beans... done. Easy!

Thoughts?
    -Thomas Paine
    ...After a million or so times over the years, I got very good at making a show out of cutting up the whole birds in front of the customers. I got some wicked knife skills. Serve with macaroni salad, cole slaw, and baked beans... done. Easy!

Thoughts?

Sounds like you'd need to do that in front of a certain landmark by exit 6!

-Zorba

Thinking about it, the chicken dinner would be by far the easiest as far as prep, service, and clean up. Plus it would be a fairly wholesome meal. The macaroni salad, coleslaw, and beans can be made up at home. The beans can be heated in a crock pot in the room, carried to the serving table, and serving spoon inserted. Done. Coleslaw and macaroni salad-- take lid off storage container, insert serving spoon... done. Like I said, I can cook/cut/serve the chickens in my sleep. And yea, it would probably even be profitable, let alone a break even proposition at $5/plate so nobody is forking out much cash.
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    Pre-cooked steak warmed on the flat grill is FAR easier than cooking chicken. It's a simple heat and eat. Or, cook it on the spot...still faster than yard bird. . All of the other sides? Adding complexity.
    We already know how I feel about flint style ass sauce.
    But you have never had the red sauce. They are really good that way-- mustard, red sauce and onions is how we served the curve that way. Coneys get mustard and onions.

Steak sandwiches? Or specifically, shaving said steak? Giant pain in my ass at home. Too frozen? It shaves like crap. Too not frozen? It shaves like crap. Then there is the cleaning of the meat slicer. I can prep 8 birds for the grill in less than 5 minutes.
    -Thomas Paine
    I can prep 8 birds for the grill in less than 5 minutes.
    Then shi-kahn it is

Gyros and Greek salad would be pretty easy too and Chris is an expert salad ****. Besides the large population of Middle Eastern folks, we have a very large Greek immigrant population so we get the good stuff around here.
    -Thomas Paine
    Gyros
    MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    I can't think of anyone who doesn't like chicken.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone who doesn't like chicken.........
    20170526_160828_zpsran7uvum.jpg
    My children are still a bit nervous after the incident.
    -Thomas Paine