Home Main Category Clubhouse

Poet's final thoughts on the SE Shoot 2017

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,189 Senior Member
    Really easy for those.... Gyro meat and pita bread are heat and eat affairs on the griddle. The rest is cutting and prepping the veggies and stuff at home and setting on the serving table. The hardest part would be waiting for the griddle to heat up.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Sounds like a plan to me. It is something kind of unique-- or at least in a style that isn't available in most places. Quick, cheap, easy prep, easy heating, easy serving and easy clean up, plus delicious.

And if gyros and Greek salad are not your thing, Nick's Grill at the Motel 6 has very good food. I was extremely pleased with my stay there this weekend.
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and if anyone calls them "jy-rows" as opposed to the correct way that is "year-rows"... no soup for you!!! Go eat at McDonalds or something.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jeffsgkjeffsgk New Member Posts: 13 New Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh, and if anyone calls them "jy-rows" as opposed to the correct way that is "year-rows"... no soup for you!!! Go eat at McDonalds or something.

What about a tonys style steak sandwich isnt that kind of Regional
    It is. Those are good too. That, and their **** salad. We could go 20 years with something different every year and not even come close to the unique culinary treasures around here.

BTW-- Thanks for all the help this weekend. I really appreciate it!
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That's my vote. We are devoid of real gyros around here.

Luv me some Gyros! Shwarma too!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Winner winner gyro dinner.

YEAH baby!!! GYROS!!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Luv me some Gyros! Shwarma too!

My surprised look!
    th?q=Surprised+Emotion&w=120&h=120&c=1&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=InlineBlock&mkt=en-US&adlt=off&t=1&mw=247
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    This thread is making me hungry for a sammich- - - - -and it's breakfast time in the holler!

Folks, once again we are honored that all of you choose to spend so much effort, time (and money) to join us out in the boondocks every year. Hosting the shoot has made it possible to get to know people from all over the country (and the world) and we've made some lifetime friends in the process. As long as we're on the topside of the grass and able to get around under our own power we're going to continue the tradition- - - - -so let's start planning for next year!
    Jerry and Mary
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Thanks for the compliments on the cooking. I would open up a restaurant because I love cooking and cooking for crowds-- I actually enjoy it. The only problem is that it would require dealing with customers. I HATE customers!

Obvious thanks go to Jerry and Mary. Not only are they gracious hosts, but they drive themselves to the verge of exhaustion in an effort to make sure we all have a great time. Alvin and his wife are friends of Mary and Jerry-- they come there every year with the sole purpose of making this happen. Jerry's daughter Debbie and son in law, Steve work their butts off to not only make us some of the best ribs I have ever had, but make sure we have a great time on Saturday evening. I cannot understate the amount to time,effort, and money they plow into this every year for us. Tennmike, Cpj, Fishead, and others put in the hard work (typically on a hot ass humid day) of getting the range set and broken down. Jerry's son Doug is always there to lend a hand where ever it is needed. The ladies of the "Apron Brigade" work their butts off making every year a success.

Fishead-- Besides all the range work he does, he is an awesome cook. It wouldn't be the same without him. If I ever did open that restaurant, I would absolutely have to work with him. He is a blast to cook with! He would have no problems giving those pesky customers directions to Hell either.

On my end-- Nic, Ana, Jeff and Cpj were a huge help! Even back in Michigan, Mrs. Jerm put quite a bit of effort into cleaning up my messes and helping out with the food in preparation for the Shoot.

Many hands make light work and it is a lot of work for the people making it happen. I am NOT the forum caterer! I just happen to have some knowledge and equipment that applies to it, and try to reduce some of the very heavy burden of pulling off an event like this. I appreciate everyone's compliments and kind words, but I am only doing a small part to lend a hand.

Oh BS Jerm, the only time I saw you rest was when you were at the firing line. You worked your bunns off. I'm witness to that. And cpj was right there with you. You guys were amazing and made for a very pleasant experience for the rest of us. And you got great kids. They were raised right in my opinion.

And Steve and Debbie were awesome as usual. I really enjoyed Saturday night with them even with the rain. That just made it interesting. Ah and remember, there's two sets of Steve and Debbie (Fishheadgib and wife). The above was referring to Teach's Daughter and Son In Law, but the other pair are just as awesome. Great folks.

Centermass is one of America's best. He's just as I had imagined, a dedicated warrior with a big heart.

Noel, I really enjoyed our talks. You're a class act. Same with Kansashunter and Fish(Mentioned above). Fish is a great guy and helped me out a lot. And his wife Debbie is a total doll. Great lady. BML, it's always a pleasure buddy. You and yours are more great folks. Just don't pay attention to my joking. It's all in fun. I'm just happy I got to see you again. Ron (Diver) and his wife are totally down to earth, just as I had imagined they would be. Ned was Ned, but it don' get any better than Ned. One thing, behind every great guy there's a great woman and Miss Clean is one of the best.

If I left anybody out somebody rattle my cage. My mind is still asleep as I type this. The shoot didn't tire me out, the driving did. I don't remember much about Louisiana yesterday. It was a foggy period in my mind as I struggled mile after mile to make my way home. Louisiana is a beautiful State, but in the south it all looks the same, so it can bore you to death while driving.

I saved the best for last. Zorba, you are the real deal. I really enjoyed talking with you. Admittedly, you are different, LOL! But somehow you fit right in! Now I hope you get that Mercedes running and get it home in one piece. You wouldn't be quite the same without it.

Now, I gotta go, I have a dental appointment. I'll have more to say when my mind begins to work again.

Edited to Add: My dental appointment got cancelled and after I drank a pot of my own ground coffee my mind is somewhat improved.

What I forgot was I got to witness Ely with a pistol. That dude is one hell of a shot. And he do know how to handle it.

Oh, one I forgot to mention, Big Chief! Awesome guy. I enjoyed visiting with him. Chief has been there-Done that. But he can tell you some much without ever any brag or BS. My pleasure Mark.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's DOUG Teach's sons name right?

I couldn't remember his name for the life of me and didn't until someone posted it on an earlier post.

Don't ask me the daughters name :tooth: I'm terrible at remembering names....................:confused:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    snake284 wrote: »
    I saved the best for last. Zorba, you are the real deal. I really enjoyed talking with you. Admittedly, you are different, LOL! But somehow you fit right in! Now I hope you get that Mercedes running and get it home in one piece. You wouldn't be quite the same without it.

You couldn't possibly pay me a higher compliment than calling me "real" - I detest fake people. Seems to me that everybody at the shoot and on this forum in general are pretty "real" - which is why I enjoy this forum and participate.

I *do* walk in several widely disparate worlds, this is just one.

As for the MBZ, the truck is delayed by a broken winch, but the dispatcher has backups if needed.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    There are 2 Steve and Debbies-- Fishead and his lovely lady friend, then Jerry's daughter and son in law. Doug is Jerry's son who had the older dark gray Chevy truck.
    -Thomas Paine
    Big Chief wrote: »
    It's DOUGDon't ask me the daughters name :tooth: I'm terrible at remembering names....................:confused:

Debbie. Had quite the conversation with her during the rainstorm, neat lady!

zorba wrote: »
    Debbie. Had quite the conversation with her during the rainstorm, neat lady![/QUOTE

Yes, we did. I mean we weren't exactly going anywhere, we were imprisoned by the rain under that Umbrella. But she is a great lady. We all opened up about ourselves Saturday night. Interesting conversation to say the least. The other Debbie too. Both Debbie's were awesome. Good folks.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I couldn't remember his name for the life of me and didn't until someone posted it on an earlier post.

Don't ask me the daughters name :tooth: I'm terrible at remembering names....................:confused:

Yeah, Doug. I had forgotten his name. He helped out a lot. Great guy, chip off the old block.

And another guy from Saturday Night, Debbie and Steve's friend Tony. I had a great BS session with Tony. Great guy.
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Gyros and Greek salad would be pretty easy too and Chris is an expert salad ****. Besides the large population of Middle Eastern folks, we have a very large Greek immigrant population so we get the good stuff around here.

YES!!!!

GYROS and Greek salads are awesome.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member

Hey, tell me about it......LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, I only saw "Ruff" the shaggy dog once this year and that was up the road when I stopped to talk to the ladies who went to the new Dollar Store .............................Mrs Clean and Elvan's wife (my apoligies ICRHN).
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    ET Al;

I can't tell y'al how much I enjoyed the weekend. I really needed that. I just wish I had more time to sit and talk with some of y'all. When I am around so much Wisdom and knowledge, I tend to be a sponge. I figure it is better than leaving an oxygen thief. I thank you guys for the kind words. I am going to do my best to make it next year. If I do, I will bring Korean BBQ for a night.

Jerry, Mike, Bob, Noah - Sitting around the table Sunday was awesome. Reminded me a lot of back home.

Jerm - You truly have a big heart. I have met few people that are so giving and willing to go that extra mile to make people smile.

Paul - Great meeting you. You are genuine person, that too is rare now-a-days.

Ned/Mark/Al - Wish I would have had more time to talk with you two gentlemen. I enjoyed the brief time we had saturday.

Snake - The brave man that tried to turn a VW into an off road vehicle.

Again, thank you all.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,210 Senior Member
    It was a pleasure Shane :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Shane, it was fun meeting you face to face finally. I watched you a bit on the range and noticed you coaching some shooters (Jerm's son for one) and that was neat! The group that meets for the Shoot IS family and you've been adopted, voluntarily or otherwise! :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    ET Al;

I can't tell y'al how much I enjoyed the weekend. I really needed that. I just wish I had more time to sit and talk with some of y'all. When I am around so much Wisdom and knowledge, I tend to be a sponge. I figure it is better than leaving an oxygen thief. I thank you guys for the kind words. I am going to do my best to make it next year. If I do, I will bring Korean BBQ for a night.

Jerry, Mike, Bob, Noah - Sitting around the table Sunday was awesome. Reminded me a lot of back home.

Jerm - You truly have a big heart. I have met few people that are so giving and willing to go that extra mile to make people smile.

Ned/Mark/Al - Wish I would have had more time to talk with you two gentlemen. I enjoyed the brief time we had saturday.

Again, thank you all.

It was Great finally meeting you.
    Sure enjoyed shooting your .45
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    My only real disappointment last weekend was that thunderstorm. Because without it, I estimate that there would have been around a 2000% chance Snake was going to fall asleep by the fire after dinner. And we were ready!
    -Thomas Paine
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    It was Great finally meeting you.
    Sure enjoyed shooting your .45

Same here brother!! glad you enjoyed it. If you make it this way for any reason let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    My only real disappointment last weekend was that thunderstorm. Because without it, I estimate that there would have been around a 2000% chance Snake was going to fall asleep by the fire after dinner. And we were ready!

We still enjoyed a piece of your walleye and some shrimp under the umbrella
    only the shenanigans and cigars were missed.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

The thunderstorm caused me to have a discussion with Debbie that I probably wouldn't have otherwise had. It was worth it, a very remarkable woman!

• mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 547 Senior Member
    I just finished reading the posts from everyone at the Shoot and can only say I would really like to have been there too. Every year it looks like everyone has a blast and that is great! I've met six or seven members on hunts here in Colorado and they have all been fine folks. Add that to the fact that Tennessee is my home state and I dearly miss it! Hopefully one of these times I'll be able to make the trip, it's one of my top bucket list items. And to anyone that might visit Fall Creek Falls state park, it is truly worth it! One of my favorites in Tennessee. Been there many times and always enjoy the trip.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    mosseybuck wrote: »
    I just finished reading the posts from everyone at the Shoot and can only say I would really like to have been there too. Every year it looks like everyone has a blast and that is great! I've met six or seven members on hunts here in Colorado and they have all been fine folks. Add that to the fact that Tennessee is my home state and I dearly miss it! Hopefully one of these times I'll be able to make the trip, it's one of my top bucket list items. And to anyone that might visit Fall Creek Falls state park, it is truly worth it! One of my favorites in Tennessee. Been there many times and always enjoy the trip.

Try to make the Shoot soon! You won't be disappointed! :up:

Fall Creek Falls is one of my favorite places in TN, too, and not far at all from my place. It's a really relaxing park to visit. There are some fine small state parks in East TN; the Smokies get all the press, but the small parks are great! And they aren't crowded, either!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    ET Al;

Again, thank you all.

Hey Bro, I enjoyed it all. I still was surprised that you were 9'4" instead of 4'9" like I imagined. Your name is deceptive kinda like shotgunshooter3.

Oh, and that hill has got me before. But it got Noel too and he was in a pickup.