Home Main Category General Firearms

Get Seriuos!

earlyearly Senior MemberPosts: 4,950 Senior Member

No, I don't need it. Black bears don't run around attacking people for no reason, but if a guy wants piece a mind, get serious.

That's my take. Are you in good hands?
My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Yes I am. It doesn't get much better than Mossberg. Maybe smoother, maybe better finished but not overall better.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • StenfieldStenfield Member Posts: 41 Member
    That should keep them from stealing your Picinic basket 🍯🍗
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I've had this old gun for along time. During my absence from the board, I tried it with rifled slugs. When I discovered I could nail a pie plate off hand at 50 yards with just a bead sight, and saw the size of the holes in my heavy cardboard backer..... Well, the light I saw was almost like a religious experience.:tooth::tooth::tooth:
    Went and got some more slugs thismorning. Wish they sold in 25 round boxes.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    Nice! Nothing wrong with that.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    We've had some unusual bear activity in neighborhoods in my area lately, and it's putting people a little on edge. My house backs up to a rather large wetland/wildlife area, so I'm wary of unexpected visitors.

I've seen plenty of deer and coyotes back there, so it's not a stretch to think that a bear might decide that it's a good place to explore.

To that end, the 629 and the 1300 stay loaded and ready.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    Mossberg, old reliable.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Im slowly preparing for a camp trip. Bunch a bears where Im going last few years. I got spray and sidearm, but the shotgun is small, light, and too handy to leave behind.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    No, I don't need it. Black bears don't run around attacking people for no reason, but if a guy wants piece a mind, get serious.

That's my take. Are you in good hands?

I completely agree.

We don't have bears, and yes, I know some people chase feral hogs down with a knife, and yes I know they would rather run away than attack. But, I have had encounters with them that made me very uneasy, so I carry a 10mm Glock with me in the woods. I would carry a 12 gauge with buckshot or slugs, if I really thought I was going to surprise a big sow in a lonely place. The 10mm just gives me an option for anything unexpected, and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm alone in the deep, dark woods.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I completely agree.

We don't have bears, and yes, I know some people chase feral hogs down with a knife, and yes I know they would rather run away than attack. But, I have had encounters with them that made me very uneasy, so I carry a 10mm Glock with me in the woods. I would carry a 12 gauge with buckshot or slugs, if I really thought I was going to surprise a big sow in a lonely place. The 10mm just gives me an option for anything unexpected, and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm alone in the deep, dark woods.

I agree with Bisley in that I don't worry too much about wild hogs. But my .357 or my 45 ACP do give me a little piece of mind just in case. My buddy Mark, who's on the lease with me had a wild bore tree him once. You just never know about a wild animal and when that wild animal out weighs you 50 or 100 pounds and can out run you it can make you a bit nervous. A good side arm of substantial size does help give you the warm and fuzzy.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    My buddy Mark- - - - - -had a wild bore tree him once.

Must have been a liberal- - - - -I'd climb a tree too, to get away from their boring line of BS!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Must have been a liberal- - - - -I'd climb a tree too, to get away from their boring line of BS!
    :jester:
    Jerry

No doubt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    We've had some unusual bear activity in neighborhoods in my area lately, and it's putting people a little on edge. My house backs up to a rather large wetland/wildlife area, so I'm wary of unexpected visitors.

I've seen plenty of deer and coyotes back there, so it's not a stretch to think that a bear might decide that it's a good place to explore.

To that end, the 629 and the 1300 stay loaded and ready.

I've seen scat and track up here, the 629 is my new friend for exploration adventures.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've got a Parkerized 12 gauge 870 pump with a cylinder bore 18" barrel that spent its working life decorating a police cruiser. I'm sure that with the right ammo it could give any varmint I'm likely to encounter around here an attitude adjustment- - - -2-legged, 4-legged, or no-legged!
    Jerry
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    I have a hunting camp in an area where the bear population is quite large( this is PA) and of course I always go armed. My first choice is a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. Relatively light and fast handling. I have had a bear walk up to me in the woods while I was eating an apple but he spooked as soon as I moved. I once had a conversation with Dr. Gary Alt,who instituted programs to bring back the bear population in Pa,and he said (9 out of 10 bears are not aggressive. I asked, how do you that you don't have number 10. He said, you don't. So a firearm capable of taking a bear seems prudent.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    That's very serious!:win:
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member