Measure of National Helplessness?

2»

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    There is another point to personally doing stuff: Doing it right.

My friends ask me why I always do my own/wife/kids brakes.

Short answer: I've left a tire shop with loose lug nuts, my dad left a Ford dealer without an oil filter, the wife went to a bargain oil change place and 3000 miles later, I had to drive a extra large screwdriver through the filter to get it removed.

I'm not trusting my life to someone else when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I don't think this has anything to do with helplessness in many cases. Life is seldom that simple. Many folks are capable, they just don't want/have to. I could wash my clothes by beating them on a stone on the side of a river but I choose to buy a washing machine (and have a wife who knows how to use it :tooth:).

I'm perfectly capable of changing a flat, done it a few times in my lifetime, so has my wife. But, I have AAA and the last time I had a flat I called them to change it. I was on my way home from the office and when I got to my car I noticed the flat. I was wearing a suit, an expensive shirt and expensive dress shoes. Changing that flat could have cost me a lot of $$$ in ruined clothing, way more than my yearly AAA fee. No thanks, cheap insurance and I was headed home in 20 minutes. I'm sure a few judgmental folks driving past the scene thought, helpless example of "white privilege" and "hard working" man saving his ass, and I'm ok with that :roll:

My AAA also covers my boat trailer. Now why would I risk my life trying to change a flat on a trailer carrying a 5,000 boat on the side of an interstate or a busy road? For a couple of hundred $$$s a year I can walk away and safely watch someone else do it.

Now if I HAD TO I'd be more than capable of changing those tires, and do quite a few other things that I pay others to do. But there is a big difference from being "helpless" to just believing its not worth to do it myself and having the means to not have to...

I agree with what you say, but was looking at the subject differently. I was thinking it was more about knowing how to do it, having common sense and life experience enough to get er done in a pinch. Definitely, if I have AAA or some other road assistance program I'll be happy to watch.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I *used* to carry a spare. Now I have a small quality (Viair) air pump, and the tools to plug a tire. It's just as fast as changing a tire, and (with 35" tires) a heck of a lot less weight. Anything beyond a basic flat etc. will result in a call for service.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    I *used* to carry a spare. Now I have a small quality (Viair) air pump, and the tools to plug a tire. It's just as fast as changing a tire, and (with 35" tires) a heck of a lot less weight. Anything beyond a basic flat etc. will result in a call for service.

Last time I had a flat on the Dodge 2500 the sidewall blew out. I don't think they make a plug that big!
    I carry a full sized spare tire. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

The main reason most kids don't know how to do those things is because their parents don't know how to do those things, and can't teach their kids.

Confession time: I took Home Ec. my senior year in HS. I only needed 2 credits to graduate but I had to take a full course load. So I took Home Ec. as a crip course. It did have it's benefits, though. I was the ONLY guy in a class full of girls, and I learned survival cooking, among other things. :roll2: I didn't need to take shop class; my Dad was wearing me out with that course on the farm! :silly:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,607 Senior Member
    I belong to AAA also - but as far as changing a flat, I usually do it myself because I don't want to sit around on the side of the road waiting for them to show up. Now if I were in a dance costume or my Victorian outfit, sure. Or like the time my F250 had a flat front tire and it was parked such that I couldn't get to it with the tools on hand. Otherwise, I'll change the damn thing myself and be back on the road in 10 minutes.

Good on you Ten for taking home ec - I wish I had. I think boys need to know how to cook (and I really don't!), and everybody should know basic sewing.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Since I used to work for a towing service that was a AAA contractor, that's the roadside assistance service I absolutely refuse to use. Allstate Motor Club is much better and less expensive, and you don't even have to buy their crappy auto insurance to be a member. I change my own flats, especially since most of the time I'm on the road for business I'm carrying a NASCAR-style aluminum wheel-changing jack, a couple of jack stands, a lug wrench and a torque wrench. I did need to make the last 90 miles home on a rollback wrecker a while back when a fuel pump crapped out, though! Cost me less than a C-note for extra mileage, and the pump I bought on Ebay was only $85.00, not the 300-something bucks plus labor that a dealership wanted!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    zorba wrote: »
    I belong to AAA also - but as far as changing a flat, I usually do it myself because I don't want to sit around on the side of the road waiting for them to show up. Now if I were in a dance costume or my Victorian outfit, sure. Or like the time my F250 had a flat front tire and it was parked such that I couldn't get to it with the tools on hand. Otherwise, I'll change the damn thing myself and be back on the road in 10 minutes.

Good on you Ten for taking home ec - I wish I had. I think boys need to know how to cook (and I really don't!), and everybody should know basic sewing.

Taking home ec my senior year was one of the best things I could have done. I already knew how to cook and sew a bit, thanks to my Mom, but I learned a lot more in the class. It's kept me from having to eat junk food and stuff out of a can, and that's a good thing! And I can repair my own clothes instead of throwing out serviceable stuff. And did I mention that I was the ONLY GUY in the class with 20 something girls? :roll2: Just 'cause I look stupid doesn't mean I am stupid! :roll2: :roll2:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Taking home ec my senior year was one of the best things I could have done. I already knew how to cook and sew a bit, thanks to my Mom, but I learned a lot more in the class. It's kept me from having to eat junk food and stuff out of a can, and that's a good thing! And I can repair my own clothes instead of throwing out serviceable stuff. And did I mention that I was the ONLY GUY in the class with 20 something girls? :roll2: Just 'cause I look stupid doesn't mean I am stupid! :roll2: :roll2:

Never took EC, but I did take typing my senior year in high school. It was by far the most practical course I took in high school, as my job requires a great deal of doing just that. And, I've been fortunate enough to tell my high school typing teacher how valuable her class has been to me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I learned to type in 4th grade and never looked back. Faster and easier than writing of any kind, and the results are readable!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    A survey of the secretarial pool at a company in Nashville many years ago before typewriters became obsolete revealed that 80% of them used the touch-typing method, but the other 20% were huntin' peckers!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Never had to type; just enter numbers.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Never took EC, but I did take typing my senior year in high school. It was by far the most practical course I took in high school, as my job requires a great deal of doing just that. And, I've been fortunate enough to tell my high school typing teacher how valuable her class has been to me.

I took typing class sophomore year in HS. It was required to have a lot of papers for English classes in Junior and Senior year typed out. I made a few bucks taking in typing work back then. And it's been a skill that I've used a LOT since I graduated HS. My typing teacher didn't like boys in the typing class; said we didn't really need it. She'd be ostracized by the Left now for saying that! :roll2:
    Teach wrote: »
    A survey of the secretarial pool at a company in Nashville many years ago before typewriters became obsolete revealed that 80% of them used the touch-typing method, but the other 20% were huntin' peckers!
    :jester:
    Jerry

:spittingcoffee: There's a lot of people that type using the old Biblical method of typing. It's the 'Seek and ye shall find' method. :tooth:

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Never had to type; just enter numbers.
    How did you write the above?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    How did you write the above?
    I dictate to Clean and types for me!

Notice "HAD" not don't
    I was referring to life before retirement when all I had to do was ask the Gunny if he could have someone type something.

The numbers reference was to putting info in an A/C computer.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Do they even teach typing anymore? I think kids now days are pretty much expected to know it. My own kids were typing and reading before kindergarten. I would like to take credit for great parenting, but the simple fact was that if they wanted to play on the computer, they had to be able to read/spell/type what they wanted. It was one heck of a motivator.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    I took typing my senior year. The teacher was smokin HOT, and my typing slowed considerably when she waked by.... the guy in front of me was a horrible typer and she always helped him..... usually bent over his shoulder looking at what he was doing. God bless him!

I tried to keep typing when this happened to not be too obvious... when she moved on and I looked at my paper, it looked like.........

difvherveofvh iejfvey nviuev4gh ndo3r9ughmcp49 kfgb rropfk vnoobns;eoef ncvrgh owirfj857 jvn rkerpfm ekijgnrn
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    The BEST classes I ever took where courtesy of another GF that convinced me to go visit her modeling agency. I took modeling lessons (non-gay male models command a premium) which the agency paid for and I often went to parties with 5-10 female models in tow. Life was good back then... :devil:

Olesniper would appreciate some of those pictures, him being the forum historian and scrapbooker and all.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Do they even teach typing anymore? I think kids now days are pretty much expected to know it. My own kids were typing and reading before kindergarten. I would like to take credit for great parenting, but the simple fact was that if they wanted to play on the computer, they had to be able to read/spell/type what they wanted. It was one heck of a motivator.

I think its called "keyboarding" now.

No thanks...

:spittingcoffee: Looks like you ain't dumb, either! :rotflmao:

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    High cholesterol and hypertension forced me to reduce my spare tire. Now I can bend down easier to change the tire on my vehicles if the insurance company won't do it for me. :-)
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    I learned how to type in a couple of chat rooms and in here. Never took it in school. My first EX wife taught me the basics and I took it from there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    I can't 'type', but I can go pretty fast with three or four fingers by looking at the keyboard, instead of the screen. Then, I just go back and make a couple of corrections, here and there. I can type a whole page without ever looking at the screen, then re-read and edit. As I get older, I miss more of my errors when I do the edit, but still manage to say what I want, usually. I'm too slow for online 'chatting,' but fine for email and forum posting.
    Back to the original subject- - - -yes, we are becoming a nation of helpless female reproductive orfices. "If at first you don't succeed, give up and whine about it!" I see a general lack of critical thinking skills, a total lack of perseverance when attempting even moderately challenging tasks, and a huge amount of apathy when people are challenged about their attitudes.

No wonder we haven't won a war since 1945- - - - -it's just too much of an effort for everyone involved, including the politicians, and the population in general!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Back to the original subject- - - -yes, we are becoming a nation of helpless female reproductive orfices. "If at first you don't succeed, give up and whine about it!" I see a general lack of critical thinking skills, a total lack of perseverance when attempting even moderately challenging tasks, and a huge amount of apathy when people are challenged about their attitudes.

No wonder we haven't won a war since 1945- - - - -it's just too much of an effort for everyone involved, including the politicians, and the population in general!
    Jerry

:agree:
    Way too many of MY generation didn't let school interfere with their education. They were the hippies, yippies, and the 'tune in, turn on, drop out' stone cold wastes of protoplasm that reproduced and coddled their children and didn't teach them any life skills. And then those idiot children reproduced and did the same as their parents, only a lot worse. And now we're stuck with millions of people, laughingly called adults, that couldn't find their anal orifice with a platoon of Marine Scout Snipers guiding them. And they have the audacity to think that the world owes them a living, and think that flipping burgers is worth $15/hour because they didn't pay attention in school, either. Result is millions of drones that are pretty much worthless.

tennmike wrote: »
    :agree:
    Way too many of OUR generation didn't let school interfere with their education.- - - - - - - - - Result is millions of drones that are pretty much worthless.

Another result is a country full of sniveling cowards who would rather hide under their beds and suck their thumbs than put on a uniform and defend their freedom, also!
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    If what I have seen in my own little bubble is any indication of nationwide behavior, it seems to start with nice ladies raising their children without benefit of a father. I've been going to kid's athletic events for the last 35 years, and have seen the **** of child sporting events, firsthand, and up close. It mostly ends when they start junior high, where professional coaches take over, but the damage has already been done to too many of the kids who can't make the cut, once mommy can't help them any more. A few manage to push through and meet the challenge, but not many.

Little boys who are afraid of physical contact, but still want to be on the football teams, and little boys who can't be coaxed close enough to the plate (in baseball) to have any chance of hitting it, because they have been hit by a pitch and became so distraught that they had to leave the game. Other examples abound, but I'm sure you get the idea. Most fathers can do the seemingly 'heartless' things that are necessary to make a boy push through the hardships of life - only a few single moms get it right.

Mothers, who are obviously very good mothers, are not fathers. They do not instinctively know how to make men out of their boys, or...they actually do know, but simply don't have the balls to make them do hard things. It also happens with daughters, but with less obvious damage to their character, since 'manly' behavior is not considered a normal thing for girls, by most people.

A father can do everything else wrong, and still make a difference when it comes to preparing his own children for real life.