Home Main Category General Firearms

Handgun bullets at 1600 fps ... HP or FMJ FP?

2»

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Every pig I have taken in Florida except one was within 25 yards.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Well Dan, it ain't my football and football bat, but if it was I'd bite the bullet and buy a .40 cal. bullet swaging die set (already have the press) and make a few extra bullet nose punches to shape the bullet noses. And I'd also 'Richard' with the jacket thickness, and also jacket taper from front to back because that can be easily done with the bullet jacket after forming the base with a tiny boring bar on my Unimat lathe.

As much as you experiment with bullets and pushing the envelope with standard bullets, the bullet swage press and a few sets of dies for different calibers, and a small hobby lathe would set you up for some good experimentation with that, and you could make your own bullet nose forming punches for the dies with the lathe. ONLY caveat is that you have to use pure lead to make the bullet cores; anything close to wheelweight hardness will cause a die explosion, and that is dangerous, and it also ain't cheap!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    Over on Handloads.com, there's at least one load for 2400 in the .40 S&W. In a carbine barrel, it seems likely that a slower burning propellant like that is going to be your friend.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I think just about anything you send out of that gun will kill a pig at 25 yards if you put it in the right spot.

Uhm, no, hog shields are too tough, BigDans needs a 10MM carbine to push those bullets faster;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Without knowing the Brinell hardness of the TMJ bullets it's hard to say what they'd do in a flesh medium, but they ARE softer than most wheelweight water quenched bullets...........

Just for the sake of getting it out there, it's about 9 Brinnell for the cores of jacketed pistol bullets, which have been handy source of casting lead for me. Got really curious once as to what I was scrounging and did some really careful separation of jacketed (9 BHN), shotgun slugs (8 BHN), and other people's cast (variable. . .obviously) before melting them down. They're really squishy, and need that jacket to make them behave at any kind of serious chamber pressure.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Bill M.Bill M. Member Posts: 65 Member
    Sounds to me like that little 10mm could use a big brother that shoots a .410 diameter 220 gr XTP at 1600 fps.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Over on Handloads.com, there's at least one load for 2400 in the .40 S&W. In a carbine barrel, it seems likely that a slower burning propellant like that is going to be your friend.

Overwhelmingly, the guys at the Kel Tec Owners forum recommend Longshot as the top propellant. Longshot, Blue Dot, 3n37, 3n38, hs6, and one of the " #7" powders are the others. Bullseye and Unique are OK for carbines but burn too quickly.

Here is a test result from some factory ammo based on pistol vs. a Sub 2K

Remington 155 gr. JHP
    Sub 2k 1431 fps energy 704 ftlbs
    Sig 229 1188 fps 485 ftlbs

Winchester 165 gr FMJ
    Sub 2k 1212 fps 538 ftlbs
    Sig 229 1017 fps 379 ftlbs

Speer 180 gr Gold Dot HP
    Sub 2k 1163 fps 540 ftlbs
    kahr p40 976 fps 380 ftlbs

Federal Personal Defense 135 gr hydrashok
    sub 2k 1493 fps 667 ftlbs
    Kahr 1204 fps 434 ftlbs

Hornady 180 gr XTP
    Sub 2k 1184 fps 560 ftlbs

Remington 165 gr Golden Sabre
    Sub 2k 1324 fps 642 ftlbs

Federal 180 gr Hydra shok
    Sub 2k 1205 fps 580 ftlbs

Speer 155 gr FMJ
    Sub 2k 1157 fps 460 ftlbs

Federal American Eagle 180 gr FMJ
    Sub 2k 1036 fps 429 ftlbs

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: