Home Main Category General Firearms

cartridge choice

big elkbig elk MemberPosts: 111 Member
I'm in the process of buying a Henry silver boy lever action. I can get one in 44 Remington mag. or a 45 Colt. Which one would be the best ? I'm will being shooting some targets and just playing with it. I also reload, I know its a waste of time but I'm retired and have lot of walking do to back surgery that went south, so I have time to reload.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a Henry silver boy lever action. I can get one in 44 Remington mag. or a 45 Colt. Which one would be the best ? I'm will being shooting some targets and just playing with it. I also reload, I know its a waste of time but I'm retired and have lot of walking do to back surgery that went south, so I have time to reload.

If you don't plan on hunting say Eeny Meeny miny mo. However if you were going to hunt with it and maybe have a number of shots over 100 yards I'd see if that rifle's available in .30-30 Winchester. If you're going to reload you can reload Hornady flex tip bullets and reach out there a bit further. Hornady Flex Tips make a .30-30 a solid 200 yard gun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    6 of 1
    Half dozen the other.

For just range work, the .44 components might be less expensive.

I have both cartridges. Love both.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I have both a .44 Winchester and a Marlin .45 Colt. I like them both but I shoot the .45 Colt a whole lot more.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    6 of 1 Half dozen the other..

As Zee said, I would choose the 45 Colt, only because I dont have one.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    As Zee said, I would choose the 45 Colt, only because I dont have one.

JAY
    But then again, a companion carbine for your .44 mag revolver is a good idea to/two/too.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Get what ever one you have a wheelgun for.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,149 Senior Member
    I would go 44Mag, personally.

You don't have a handgun to match one or the other, do you?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Get what ever one you have a wheelgun for.

This.

I own both.:guns::guns::guns:
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Only because I already have a .44 lever gun and a break action, I would go with a .45 Colt.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Ditto

I went 45 Colt, still have to get the wheel gun to go with it though.

Nice, subtle enabling, I like it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    .44 Mag - more horsepower with factory loads.

.45 Colt - more gentle with factory loads; potentially compatible with .45 ACP bullets for handloading, provided you get something with a cannelure. Might be a little cheaper to feed because of it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member

Buy the .44 Mag and reload specials for it. I have an 1894 model and reload specials for plinking or small game. It's low recoiling and easy on the ears. It's just darn pleasant to shoot this way and reloading makes it even more attractive. If I need more horsepower, well it is a .44 Mag.

Just my two cents.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    Ditto

I went 45 Colt, still have to get the wheel gun to go with it though.
    I use to have a Ruger 44 Mag. and I loved it. I got hit with a brain fart and sold it. Oh how i miss it, so that means I Have to pay full price for another one !!!!
    I use to have a Ruger 44 Mag. and I loved it. I got hit with a brain fart and sold it. Oh how i miss it, so that means I Have to pay full price for another one !!!!

I did the same thing!!! I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and I sold it. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time and now I regret it.:angry:

What was I thinking?
    :confused:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I was just yesterday looking online at the Henry rifle lineup. Man they gotta lot to choose from.

Did someone on here say the .44 mag lever guns have a noticeable "Kick" far more than a .357 and .45 Colt? One "YouTuber" was saying you can load a .45 Colt up in one to magnum velocities around 1200 FPS pushing a 250/255 grain slug. I imagine that would be a lot more noticeable than a standard or cream-puff Cowboy load. But you get some extra horsepower from the extra bbl length anyway.

I was also wondering how their brass frames hold up? They say they are heat treated and the rifles are heavier than the steel framed ones (Henrys). I guess my line of reasoning/ erroneous assumption was from what I know about brass framed Cap n Ball revolvers not being as strong as steel framed ones.

Also, I know you can't or shouldn't fire ammo with pointed bullets from a tube fed lever gun except Hornady Leverloutions. So SWCs and LRNFP should be just fine, I assume. Most HPs too I would think, although there may be some that are a tad "Pointy".

I did see where .44 Spl ammo in a guys video was not feeding as good as .44 Magnums. He was saying that happens and with the .357s firing .38s in some rifles as well.

I think I would get a .45 Colt or a .357 and I think I could get over no loading gate on a Henry pretty easy too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I fired a Win (?) Rangler years ago it wasn't bad, especially with .44 Spls.

If I got one in .44/.45 or .357 I'd probably mostly reload and shoot poly coated hard cast SWCs/ or plated bullets. Of course some XTPs would be loaded and fired on occasion too. :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Wow, I'll take one of each :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I was just yesterday looking online at the Henry rifle lineup. Man they gotta lot to choose from.

Did someone on here say the .44 mag lever guns have a noticeable "Kick" far more than a .357 and .45 Colt? One "YouTuber" was saying you can load a .45 Colt up in one to magnum velocities around 1200 FPS pushing a 250/255 grain slug. I imagine that would be a lot more noticeable than a standard or cream-puff Cowboy load. But you get some extra horsepower from the extra bbl length anyway.

I was also wondering how their brass frames hold up? They say they are heat treated and the rifles are heavier than the steel framed ones (Henrys). I guess my line of reasoning/ erroneous assumption was from what I know about brass framed Cap n Ball revolvers not being as strong as steel framed ones.

Also, I know you can't or shouldn't fire ammo with pointed bullets from a tube fed lever gun except Hornady Leverloutions. So SWCs and LRNFP should be just fine, I assume. Most HPs too I would think, although there may be some that are a tad "Pointy".

I did see where .44 Spl ammo in a guys video was not feeding as good as .44 Magnums. He was saying that happens and with the .357s firing .38s in some rifles as well.

I think I would get a .45 Colt or a .357 and I think I could get over no loading gate on a Henry pretty easy too.

Chief, lately I have been contemplating barrel length benefits. Most all of my builds have longer barrels to get the most out of them. You hear all ends of the argument on here. But I remember back a few years ago, well maybe more than a few, that how much benefit you get from barrel length depends somewhat on the cartridge and that larger diameter cartridges with small case capacity benefit less due to expansion ration, I think was the reason listed. And that overbore cartridges benefit more from barrel length. I tend to think this is true. Now that's largely comparing barrel lengths of 20-24 inches. The differences in revolver barrels and saddle guns are more than this and I do believe any barrel length increase will give more velocity, but how much gain you get is the question. If you gain 25 fps per inch it's almost not worth it in my opinion. So I don't know if a rifle with the same cartridge as the handgun will gain that much over a hand gun, especially a hand gun with a 6" or longer barrel. To me the big gain in a rifle over a hand gun is sight radius.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    I had some 45 cold that was loaded to 1300.

There was a bit of recoil.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Do you cast? .45 colt .

Otherwise I agree get a combo handgun levergun.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,734 Senior Member
    I'd go .44 Mag and if you choose, use .44 Specials in it. That's what I do with my Marlin. You essentially have two rifles in one, which you don't have in a .45 Colt. Plus, I've got a Redhawk in .44 so in effect, I've got FOUR firearms in two. But then, I don't hunt and seldom go full house.

I've not heard any negatives on the Henry centerfire rifles' strength. I don't think it's something to worry about.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    I'd go .44 Mag and if you choose, use .44 Specials in it. That's what I do with my Marlin. You essentially have two rifles in one, which you don't have in a .45 Colt. Plus, I've got a Redhawk in .44 so in effect, I've got FOUR firearms in two. But then, I don't hunt and seldom go full house.

I've not heard any negatives on the Henry centerfire rifles' strength. I don't think it's something to worry about.

I'm guessing if Henry Repeating Arms designed a levergun with a certain cartridge in mind like .44 Mag. I wouldn't think there would be any problem with it holding up.