Home Main Category General Firearms

Got My Hands on the TRP, With a Few Pleasant Surprises...

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,733 Senior Member
Remember that TRP I ordered? I finally got hands on it today with some pleasant surprises.

Surprise #1: It came with a serviceable IWB holster, and 3 magazines

062da1e74d2621c801118ac307cc8bea.jpg

Surprise #2: It's recent enough that it lacks the ILS!!

279f2505b0e0062be013c42e7b41cc47.jpg

Overall the gun has definitely been used, but not abused. There is a small amount of play in the slide/frame fit and the grip safety/frame fit, but the barrel/slide fit is bank vault tight. Usual finish wear on the gun, definitely not bad enough to make me want to refinish it yet.

My only real gripe is that the finish on top of the rear sight is worn off enough that it catches the light and draws my attention away from the front sight. I plan to alleviate this by replacing it with either Trijicon HDs or a set of AmeriGlo sights.

My only other planned modification is a GI recoil guide set up.

Photos showing general condition:

b2de1d138f342542a4f43709d05e317c.jpg

38f03c50277a5bda5b56f47d5b06e58f.jpg

6459df84625bd7cd620f987d2d7486f6.jpg

39b4d5571374a42370c497b12d50e682.jpg

I also ordered a cool OWB holster from RDR Custom Kydex to run this gun and my STI Trojan 9mm in local matches.

ba82fbf62f84bd3b39fa54ab0dea0ef7.jpg

Range report sometime next week!
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Good deal! I almost always buy used guns unless I can't find what I want on the used market.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nice!!
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey whose name you got tattooed on the palm of your hand or do you just take notes on how to fly a Whirlybird on it? :jester:

Nice find. Little used don't hurt a thing. Looking forward to your range report. :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Looks good Matt :up:

:yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That indoor range down the street is calling.:guns:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Very nice!!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Nice grab! You suck. It's just used enough that you won't feel bad to run it hard:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Very nice pick up. You suck.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Surprise #2: It's recent enough that it lacks the ILS!!

The surprise is even more pleasant than you think. Even on guns that Springfield makes without the ILS like the (pretty much) LE Only LB Operator, you get a two piece MSH/magazine funnel with a screw holding them together. The one piece stuff would typically be on the REALLY high end Springfield Custom guns. Somebody swapped out the ILS housing with a Smith & Alexander or other solid unit. They probably spent 75-100 bucks there, and the OEM ILS unit is likely at the bottom of a pond somewhere. Ya done good.:up:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Good hustle! Great holster as well!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Great find, Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    That's a nice one! A little wear on it just gives it character. As to the slide/frame fit having a little play, that's a good thing, and how JMB intended it to be. Slide/frame fits with 0 play on a 1911 type pistol gives me the creeps; takes practically nothing in the frame/slide rails to make them malfunction. Have fun with that thing!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Very nice! You suck!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    My kind of gun.
    I like it.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    UPDATE:

I had to travel on business this past weekend, but while I was gone the Big Brown Truck of Happiness dropped off a little package.

- Cylinder and Slide GI Recoil Spring Plug
    - Wilson GI short recoil spring guide
    - Wolff 18.5# spring

I'm hoping to hit the range Friday.

126849dc127a87510252584db4592275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Have fun and shoot the pants off that thing!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Did you do any shooting for accuracy with the old setup?

No, but I can...
    I would be interested in the outcome. For science :cool2:

I'll see what I can do. My skill level might hinder that.
    Did you do any shooting for accuracy with the old setup?

I've taken out at least three screw-together guide rods and accurately hit the bottom of a trash can with every one of them. Does that count?:jester:
    WWJMBD?

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My 2 piece guide rod on my DW Pointman 7 works just fine, only thing I ever done to it was put a HD recoil spring in it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Ahhhh, nope, but I appreciate you trying... :tooth:

My guess is no impact on accuracy but I have to admit I've never done a side by side comparison and I am curious.

The place to try it is on a much looser tolerance gun than this, that the average mortal might actually have the ability to shoot better than. . .which I think Zee may have done a few years back. The whole theory of these FLGR thingies is to increase the consistency of the lockup. . .which, if you think in terms of everything being slammed forward full speed every shot, the average 1911 does pretty well all by itself - a fitted gun like this even more so.

While it'll never be the last word on the subject, it's worth noting that Les Baer, makers of arguably the most accurate 1911's available, seems to regard the FLGR concept as pure, dag-nasty evil.

I dunno. . .No secret to you guys that I'm a fair purist on JMB's mechanics, but even if it's not total sales pitch myth, the notion of bolting "accuracy parts" into a pistol that already shoots better than 99% of the people that will ever pick it up, that was built for the purpose of shooting big things at close range under stress & in the dark seems like sales pitch myth to me. "It'll make you shoot better. . .It'll make you drive faster. . .The deer won't see or smell you. . .You'll catch more fish. . .", etc...

Wade says it best: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=Deadpool+slap+chop#id=1&vid=23589035e64b8732a130b86055189527&action=click
    WWJMBD?

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I believe Zee did a scientific assessment of guide rods a few years ago. Conclusion was not too much difference in accuracy. On the other hand, is one more reliable, especially in the long run...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    These are all interesting points. Either way, the gun shooters better than I. My main motivation was to eliminate the need to dig up an Allen wrench during field stripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk