Home Main Category General Firearms

Dear Abby, I need some help here........

2»

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    243. Hands down. It's an amazing all around cartridge.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    This is not about need. You can load up or down with what you have and get the job done, just fine.

However, the .243 is such a sweet shooter that I cannot believe you don't have one. As a person who ignored the .243 for nearly 50 years, all I can say is treat yourself to one. You will likely discover that it does everything you need, and puts a big smile on your face, every time you shoot it.

Yes, I, Mr. .270 himself even have one. I wish it was a 6mm Remington but, even so, it's still very sweet. If I did have a 6mm I would want it in a longer action than the Remington my .243 is in. IMHO every serious shooter needs a .243 in his inventory.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    The 222 and 223 are so close together, I see minimal gain for you by choosing it. So add another vote for a 243
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    240 Weatherby

I agree. It's a barrel burner, but for hunting you probably won't burn it out in your life time. And you can shoot any 6mm bullet you want in it.

Or get the .25-06 and you can shoot anything from 80 grain to 120 grain bullets if you want and it will kill anything in NZ.

There"s so many ways to go here and none is wrong.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Ok, You have convinced me that the 223 is not the ideal for what I want.

However you still havent convinced me that the 243 is a better choice...........

I am now thinking that something like a 6x42 will fit the bill.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    6.5x47 maybe
    I'll keep cracking on until you break and discover the real world :wink:
    Northern heathen
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    ojr wrote: »
    6.5x47 maybe
    I'll keep cracking on until you break and discover the real world :wink:
    Northern heathen

:spittingcoffee:

I wouldnt expect anything less. :tooth:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ok, You have convinced me that the 223 is not the ideal for what I want.

However you still havent convinced me that the 243 is a better choice...........

I am now thinking that something like a 6x42 will fit the bill.......

Why would you go 6x42 when you can go 6x54 ( .243 ) Case volume!!! There is no substitute for cubic inches, and I promise you when you shoot your first 100 gr bullet over 40g of H4350 at 3000 fps and feel almost no recoil there will be a huge grin on your face. Not to mention, with a 200 yard zero your PBR is 300 yards!!! Just point and shoot, no hold overs needed.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Why would you go 6x42 when you can go 6x54 ( .243 ) Case volume!!! There is no substitute for cubic inches, and I promise you when you shoot your first 100 gr bullet over 40g of H4350 at 3000 fps and feel almost no recoil there will be a huge grin on your face. Not to mention, with a 200 yard zero your PBR is 300 yards!!! Just point and shoot, no hold overs needed.

D

Sorry, I meant a 6X52.........Never been any good at maths.....
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I think you need a 30 caliber. A 30-06 would be a good one, you can load it many ways from a 110 grain up to a 220 grain bullet.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    And up to .50gr your .223 cannot master the .204
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    You NEED to get the .243. It will shoot the same weight bullets as the .223, and it will also shoot THESE!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/504813/berger-hunting-bullets-243-caliber-6mm-243-diameter-115-grain-vld-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100

A .223 can't touch that, and Berger makes some pretty radical and accurate bullets for hunting. There's LOTS of over 100 grain bullets for the .243, and it can launch them at decent velocities, too. You've got the .224 acreage covered; get a .243 and see what you've been missing!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Ok, here's another vote for the .243. I have two, both Remington 700 BDL's, one with a sporter barrel and one with a bull barrel. For the first one I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions over max loads of H1000, for the second I load 70 grain HP bullets over 35 grains of IMR 30-31. The Noslers have killed 36 white tails and 3 hogs, 1 over 300 pounds and the HP's are for varmints. Another viable option is the 6mm Remington......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO