Home Main Category General Firearms

Opinions on SW 22 Victory vs Ruger vs Buckmark

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I think someone on here has the S&W. Looks like a good one. How does it compare with Ruger MKs or Browning Buckmarks?
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think someone on here has the S&W. Looks like a good one. How does it compare with Ruger MKs or Browning Buckmarks?

I have 2 out of 3. Can't speak to Buckmark (yet)

S&W - relatively easy to clean, very accurate out of the box, great reliabity for me (12 months). A competitive shooter will probably want to tune the trigger, but it is plenty good enough for me. Mine has a low 3 digit serial number - no defects that I can find - quality control.

Ruger Mark IV - bigger and heavier, very easy to clean, truly shitty trigger prevents great accuracy. I have 500 rounds through it without a malfunction (1 month). But, it is gorgeous.

In addition to a higher base price, the Ruger absolutely needs a Volquartsen accuracy kit ($100-150) to eliminate the obscene amount of pre-travel built into their trigger design (lawyers?). Once I install that, I suspect it will shoot with the S&W. Right now, it can't.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    I have a Ruger Mk I, an older Ruger 22/45, and a Browning Buckmark. They're all accurate, but the Buckmark is a LOT easier to disassemble and clean.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,122 Senior Member
    I own a Mk II and a SW 22 Victory. The Mk II has an excellent trigger, but breaking it down is notoriously sucky. The SW has a slighlty heavier (3.5 lb.) trigger, but it breaks beautifully and is cake to take apart: literally just one nut removed from under the frame and the whole thing comes into workable pieces.

I love my Mk II, but the Victory was an impulse buy that I don't regret one bit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    I've briefly handled the S&W, own a MkIII and have a shooting buddy who owns a Buckmark.
    The latter is the best-looking, finest-made of the 3 of them; quite accurate right out-of-the-box.
    The Ruger has the most available options regarding configuration, and more aftermarket accessories than a Barbie doll to fit each user's needs. My Target model needed a few aftermarket parts (Thumb rest wood grips, Volquartsen sear and Truglo front sight) to perform as I expected and be as accurate as the Buckmark without having to suffer when carrying it in the field (Remember: Buckmarks are SCARCE here, seldom imported and quite expensive). Of the 3 options, I find this one as the best quality/price/performance deal.

Didn't fell in love with the S&W at all. At least the "Pre WWI odd European pistol looks" aren't for me. Night have to test-fire one to have a more informed opinion, but so far, didn't liked what I saw. In the other hand, I like A LOT that Ruger has a competitor for their Mk line; although small regarding sales, it's never good for us to have a single brand & model monopolizing that market niche.