Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

So people really need food stamps??

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,275 Senior Member
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,285 Senior Member
    A person not willing to work for their vittles must not be all that hungry. Job searches, job training, and jobs are are available if you look hard enough. Get the abusers of the program off the dole and save a lot of tax dollars.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Obama removed the work requirement for welfare, by executive order. I'd like to see the statistics on that increase. Alf?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    Well, if when reinstated, 85% dont renew, then you can get a pretty fair idea.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And MILLIONS are abusing the system. Tons of entry level jobs around here and ads for them go unanswered for months by all accounts. 3 guys I know with successful small businesses can't expand them. Why? They can't get reliable help. Why? Easier to go on food stamps and welfare...
    And the ones that do apply, and get hired, have little or no drive. Most that are new hires in around me use the "I don't get payed enough. Or my personal favorite "I'll work harder (read, do my job) when you pay me more." Parents, school are not preparing these people for life, because they sure aren't interested in having one!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    But we are not talking the bottom 1%. We are talking about 1 in 7 getting food stamps. In the circles I travel, about half the people that I know are getting SNAP really don't need it and are only getting it because it is free, and they can. The other half legitimately need it. From where I see it, nobody that I know of is going to go starving because of legitimate cutbacks.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Are there no workhouses?
    Are there no privatized prisons?
    Can't we go back to the good old days of Herbert Hoover?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    In CA, farmers cannot get american people to pick crops for $22.00 an hour (per an article I read a few weeks ago, no link) and the few that do take the job don't last a day. Those are the targeted people, the ones who just don't want to work. Able bodied 18-50 yr olds. Stupid ain't an excuse.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Or, maybe some conservatives simply don't give one single solitary !(<that edited word is capitalized)
    Not sure exactly how many, but at least two are fresh out of s to give.
    It really burns my ass to see my tax dollars going to worthless pieces of human who take my money to the convenience store to buy Fritos, bean dip, and Coca Cola.
    Are there those that are smart with that money? Law of averages says there is, but I've NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE been in line at the store behind a SNAP user who used their money wisely. NEVER.
    So quite frankly, I paint with a 10' wide brush. And don't care one bit. Does that mean I'm a cruel evil bastard? Yep. Guess I take exception to being ed in the ass and not getting a reach around. I wish someone in the government (because the mopes ain't gonna do it themselves) would grow a set of balls and say "look. From now on, here's a list of foods that you can purchases. Junk food and expensive steak AINT on this list."
    But, that will never happen. You know, because it's not fair that the working folks can choose to buy this stuff but the folks without jobs can't.

I agree. Food items that can be purchased with taxpayer money should be very basic. Milk, bread, butter, beans, rice, flour, fruits and vegetables, juice etc. Meat products, again, only basics. Chicken, ground beef and lesser cuts of meat, etc. Chips, soda, cake, cookies and all other junk food, not allowed.

I also like the idea of a cap on the benefits based on the number of children. When you get to two, that's all you get. Stop all these people from having 6 kids and feeding them on our money.

I see it all the time here. Flat out abuse of the system. I've watched, right before my eyes, people buying a bunch of crap before taking it out and loading it into a much nicer vehicle than I can afford. It happens all day, every day. I watched an obese woman with two obese kids buy a cart full of junk food using welfare, then go load it all up in a brand new, tricked out Cadillac SUV. I've watched them buy groceries for their friend in exchange for their friend buying them alcohol and cigarettes. Heck, I've had them offer to pay for my groceries for a fraction of the amount in cash back.

I don't care what anyone drives or how they take care of their body. Until I'm paying for it. If someone is getting fat on welfare, they are getting more than their share and not doing enough for it. If they're driving a $50,000 vehicle while paying for their food with my money, we have a problem....

People can pretend that most of the people using it legitimately need it. I say BS. Most of them don't need it and are able to work. There are yards to be mowed, leaves to be raked, snow to shovel. Go around picking up cans and recycle them. I know a guy who is allowed to clean the local shooting ranges and sells or recycles the brass to make a living. There are ways to make money, even for the classic liberal examples of "can't get a job" people. Not making enough with your work? Cool. We'll help you for a while, as long as your making an effort to provide for yourself as well.

Saw an article earlier. Apparently the other thing the pro illegal immigrant people are upset over is, illegals are now too afraid to sign up for welfare because they are afraid they'll be deported... Classic line of BS. "They might be illegal but have children who are citizens. The children will starve......" Well, what happened to the classic line of manure to the effect of, "They are coming to our country in search of a better life." or, "They come do the jobs we don't want to do." Great. Do those jobs, make some money, buy your own stuff, make a better life for yourself. If you get deported, sorry for you. You're not a citizen of this country. You accepted that risk when you came here illegally.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    Would those guys hire a homeless former drug user with a felony conviction? What about a 19 year old former foster kid who smokes pot, dropped out of high school, and has never held a job in his life? What about a bipolar guy in his 40's who can't afford meds, lives with his parents because he can't hold a job? What about the woman with an IQ of 70 who never learned to read or write? Again we're talking about the bottom 1%. We will pay for these people one way or another. If they haven't been in jail before, they probably will end up there at some point if for no other reason is that it provides 3 hots and a cot. Others will just be a burden on their extended family until they run out of people to depend on.

I'm not saying there isn't abuse. For sure there is. Our social welfare system has a lot of problems. It definitely needs reform. But assuming everyone should and even can "just get a job" isn't the solution IMHO.

We hired a kid from Dallas who moved here to get away from some gang troubles he'd got mixed up with. He was eager to learn and a worker, would take extra shifts and I was impressed by him. Turns out he had a felony that made him unemployable at this time. I encouraged him to fight the termination and volunteered to write up a recommendation for him . If you make bad choices it can burn a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I can speak from personal experience after processing out of the Air Force and being unable to land a job because of being a southeast Asia veteran- - - -hunger can be a great incentive to find something- - - -anything to do to earn a few bucks! I've never been on welfare, and only collected unemployment once in a 50+ year working career!
    Jerry
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Not only get them off the system costing us tax dollars, get them to pay taxes, and get a double win.

$22.00 an hour to pick crops? When I was in college I would have worked my butt off for $22 an hour, seasonally.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Went by a auto dealer today, sign out front said " lot person wanted".
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    There are "help wanted" signs everywhere. You just have to get off the couch and look.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Most leftists refuse to recognize the idea of "false compassion". A superficially compassionate act is good even though it leaves the recipient worse off than before. Compassion can't be bad because in a leftist's mind solving the problem isn't a necessary result. The only requirement is that the action makes them feel good. As Sam Kinneson used to say, "It leaves the illusion that you care."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,607 Senior Member
    I'm with SeePeeJay. I know my experience isn't comprehensive, but I also know what I see on a daily ing basis. I'll even leave my dirtbag neighbors out of this.

Most folks don't know that folks on EBT can use coupons to S T R E T C H their "limited" resources to make them last. This ability is useless. Why? Because the next EBT/ SNAP/ WIC user to avail themselves of this "money saving" feature will be the very first in a very, very long time to do so in my presence. It does happen, (I've seen it once) but it's kind of like snow in Miami or an honest politician. IOW, don't blink. Now, you see I've used quotes around the word limited. This was done for a very good reason. Don't think of them as quotes, think of them as "sarcastic marks". When a person uses EBT, the balance is displayed on the receipt, for the recipient to keep track of, ideally in the same fashion you and I keep track of our checking or savings debits and deposits. This feature is virtually useless. Why? Because the next recipient to actually use this feature will LITERALLY be the very first I have ever heard of to do so. Why don't they bother to make use of this highly useful feature, you ask? Why would they? They don't give a rat's ass what the balance is because they don't put the money there, it just shows up magically, possiby delivered by unicorns. They don't bother with coupons, because they don't ing care. The magic money costs nothing, clipping coupons is hard. AND... They get FAR TOO MUCH MONEY TO BEGIN WITH! It is not at all uncommon to see beginning balances in excess of $800, and sometimes much higher. Anybody that has worked in the grocery industry can EASILY tell you the two busiest days of the month; the first and the last. The first is when the money fairy visits, the last day is when the magic money wears out and it's "use it or lose it" time. Almost to a person, grocery folks will also tell you that their absolute WORST customers are using EBT for their purchases. If I'm dealing with a loud, obnoxious , there is a better than even chance I'm helping to pay for their food. Another side effect of the EBT phenomenon is that, out of 4 shoplifters caught, you can bet 3 will be carrying an EBT card AND more than enough cash to pay for whatever they were stealing. The funny part of that is they NEVER steal food. No need to steal shtuff you get for free, I suppose...

Yeah. You'll have to forgive me if I don't join in the "but children will die" chant. :roll:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    In my little bitty county I could go to work tomorrow. Too bad I'm retired! There are jobs in my county for people with a HS diploma. They don't pay $150,000 a year, but a person can live pretty comfortably here on $12-18 per hour and 40 hr/week, and those jobs at that pay are available. And it isn't sitting in a cubicle farm tapping away at a keyboard surfing the net on company time, it's actual labor, with your hands. And across the river, people sucking off the gov't teat can't be bothered with the seasonal work picking produce at the big farms. That would hose up their EBT/Snap and welfare! So the stuff is picked by people from across the Southern border. Other jobs in manufacturing over the river going wanting due to no applicants. Why work when you can get your groceries for nothing and your housing rent free.

And I see people older than me working fast food. A LOT of them have one thing in common; they were expecting Social Security to be their retirement nest egg. Bad move; they didn't save ANYTHING for retirement and the prices of everything outstripped their SS checks ability to pay for it. That's Alpha's elderly folk in way too many cases.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Add me to the "I don't give a damn" crowd.

I have an employee who refused overtime because it would affect his welfare program. This was his excuse for not working one Saturday per month. He makes $16 per hour in a small town, so he's not "poor".

Like others here, I've watched shoppers separate items on the conveyor...pay for some with EBT cards, the rest (booze, cigarettes, etc) with cash. All of them have more tattoos than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    No welfare, food stamps, without work. If you are on the government support system, your life should be scrutinized more closely. If you decide to not earn a living, you need counseling anyway and should be enrolled in a transition program.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    The auto mechanics curriculum I taught for 30-something years (along with all the other "trade and Industrial") courses offered by the state of Tennessee had a series of required lesson plans on such subjects as writing a resume', filling out a job application, and doing job interviews practice sessions. BTW, the "college track" students had no such mandate. Interesting, huh?

The most common response I got from kids from welfare families was "Dis is bool sheet- - - - -ain't nobody in my family gots no job- - - - -we gets a check!" Some kids couldn't remember when anyone in their family, parents or grandparents, had ever had a job. They dressed well, "Momma" usually drove a nicer car than the working parents, and the kids thought working was for "suckahs"!
    Jerry
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    How did government cheese grow into this mess? BTW I know the answer.
    It's impossible to take a group picture- - - - -say "cheese" and they all get in line!
    Jerry
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I think I'd offer him the chance to take FULL advantage of the welfare program.

Believe me, I considered it. He was eventually fired for using company resources for personal use.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Or maybe it's harder than many conservatives think to just "get a job". Most people are the bottom rungs of the economic ladder are there for a reason. We are talking about the bottom 1% here. Maybe they're homeless. Many probably have a felony on their record (that war on drugs doing good things for people) which can make it near impossible to get a job. A bunch probably have untreated mental health issues. Some may just live in places with very few jobs available.

BS.

1. That is a progressive cop out with nothing to back it up. First eliminate all of the fake "mental health" issues that everyone lived with 40 years ago, second, understand that there are places that will give persons a place to sleep until they get on their feet. If they dont, that is a choice. The microscopic fraction that would be felons because of the war on drugs shouldnt get welfare anyway. Again, that is a choice they made.

2. Cant make it on a part time 10/hr Wally world job (FYI they provide a 401K even for part time on day 1) then you get a second job. My son, EG. He blew the motor in his car. I asked him "So, what are YOU going to do about it?" He screwed around and used his savings until it finally sunk in that he needed income. He got a PT at Wally world in the evenings @10/hr. That left him days to work at a farm @ 8/hr. I was on him about doing work around the house and he complained that he worked 54 hrs that week. Bad argument because I just came off call and had 70hrs in that week. He ordered a new/used engine for his car and it was delivered yesterday. He is still working to pay the mechanic to put it in. Once its in, he needs to keep working to pay some of his tuition, his books, and save because he will not be doing his last 4 semesters living at home.

3. You need more, you work more, pretty simple. 2 PT jobs and he is bringing down the equivalent of a 30K job. You wont buy new cars on that, but you can live. With that kind of work ethic you will make more no matter what the excuse makers think.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    I have a bigger problem with Metro/ Section 8 housing than food stamps. Why are we (taxpayer) on the line for A house for each family? There should be multiple families per house. Don't like living with someone else? Work........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    "NASCAR drivers have never gone on strike, and when they want more money they go out and race for it!"

One of my favorite bumper stickers, and it applies in the real world of work as well!
    Jerry
    8.6% of the adult population has a felony conviction. A significant majority are drug related in one way or another (direct drug conviction, property crime to get drugs, or actions while on drugs).
    So?

What part of my point does that invalidate?

Actions while on drugs cannot count against the war on drugs. They already had the drugs, they were not trying to get drugs legal or illegal. Property crimes to get drugs doesnt count against the war on drugs because people steal to buy legal stuff they cant afford also. So you are left with a small fraction of felons that KNEW the law, yet broke it.

Choices.
    I'm on board for this. College style dorms with roommates should work. Make it uncomfortable enough to provide a good incentive to be self sufficient.

You cant. ACLU will be all over you. Sec 8 has more rights than you do as a tenant.

However since you are onboard..

Then Purina people food instead of cards is a great solution to the food stamp program.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I'm on board for this. College style dorms with roommates should work. Make it uncomfortable enough to provide a good incentive to be self sufficient.

Exactly. Do the same with food, from welfare-only stores with cheap but healthy government food. 100,000 calories a month, per person, should do it. If it's good enough for military recruits, it should be good enough for work-shirkers. Most would probably work a day or two a week, to buy beer and a flat-screen. There are dozens of different ways to incentivize advancement with existing tax dollars, if politicians didn't demagogue every issue.

Another important common sense idea: Everybody who earns should pay income tax, so they will start paying attention to what those dollars are spent for.
    When I got out of the Navy I spent three months on unemployment looking for jobs, but like Jerry, I found out that a veteran was as welcome as a rabid skunk. So I took my savings from the Navy, bought a used gas tractor, used manure spreader, and a new shovel and pitchfork, and cleaned out barns that were anywhere from 6 inches to 2 feet deep in cow and horse solid exhaust components. I either spread that on the owner's fields, or sold it to others, and spread it on their fields. Did a few chicken broiler houses, too. And in a lull in that activity I picked tomatoes at a huge farm on the plateau above Dayton, TN., and that wasn't an hourly wage; that was per boxful of the best 'maters' destined for the supermarkets.

That, and the G.I. Bill is how I paid for two years of college, and my house rent and everything else. If you REALLY want to work, there's work out there. May not be high paying and glamorous, but it will put beans, taters, and cornbread on the table. And meanwhile, it gives you incentive to put in applications, get more training, and put yourself out there to grab the next rung up the ladder to a better and higher paying job. Camping out on that lowest rung on minimum wage is a conscious choice.

And Alpha, those big produce farms that need pickers don't really give a rat's crusty butt if you have a felony conviction or not. All they care about is production picking the produce. And those jobs pay pretty good compared to working at Mickey D's.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    When I got out of the service in 1980, I started working at a furniture company while I went to school on the GI Bill and they were hurting so bad for laborers that we had around 20 employees on a prison work release program. Every morning a prison bus dropped them off and picked them back up in the afternoon. Currently, most of the restaurants that I do repairs at have at least one employee that had been in jail and anybody who thinks that a former inmate would have difficulty getting a job is likely a liberal who is completely out of touch with the real world. I've lived in a few big cities over the years and I've never seen a situation where someone who was willing to work could not find a job.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me