Home Main Category General Firearms

How do I submit a letter to the editor of G&A

2

Replies

  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That is usually a function of your browser, system and settings. For me it's been working fine on all apple platforms but I do recall having some issues with my windows laptop so I stopped using it.

    Yep, I restarted the Windows browser and it works fine. For now.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Just FYI. I did send in my email yesterday. I do not expect an answer if history is anything to go by. I have had multiple letters to the editor published in various magazines of over the decades and they never responded prior to publishing. I could understand in the days prior to email.

    At any rate, Danoobie (perhaps not such a fitting name,) is on the right track. I'll be happy to expound in it late this afternoon. It's pretty egregious. It would be like saying that the size of your engine has nothing to do with how fast your car can go, so get the smaller engine because a bigger one won't make a difference.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    At any rate, Danoobie (perhaps not such a fitting name,) is on the right track. I'll be happy to expound in it late this afternoon. It's pretty egregious. It would be like saying that the size of your engine has nothing to do with how fast your car can go, so get the smaller engine because a bigger one won't make a difference.

    With today's turbochargers, TPI and computers controls your analogy is incorrect.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    With today's turbochargers, TPI and computers controls your analogy is incorrect.

    How can I put this nicely, you're a complete moron.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    How can I put this nicely, you're a complete moron.

    Naw, but he is an Oakie :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I thought that was spelled "Okie"? *nitpick* :jester:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Danoobie wrote: »
    diameter of the objective lens gives the
    consumer a general idea of the amount of light they can expect to exploit at dawn or dusk

    So, a Mueller scope with a 56 MM objective lens would be ideal for a .22 rimfire on an overcast day, right?
    :uhm::jester:
    Jerry
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    With regards to scope size, smaller isn't always worse, given intended usage. For
    instance, I have two very similar bolt-action 30.06s. One is for daytime walking,
    and it has the 3-9X40MM Scope, as weight is a factor, and generally it's bright
    enough for daylight usage. The other has the 3-9X50MM scope, and it's used at
    dusk and dawn in the stand, because it gathers light better.

    Farm Boy, I think you missed the point entirely, in your rush to contradict Pegasus.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I thought that was spelled "Okie"? *nitpick* :jester:


    Okey-dokey :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:

    That is probably the grammatically correct way, but I've seen it both ways.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Danoobie wrote: »
    Farm Boy, I think you missed the point entirely, in your rush to contradict Pegasus.

    No I see and understand his point. Just saying his analogy is incorrect.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    FB is OK in my book. Get it ha ha ha ...............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    "Guns and Ammo" is my favorite gun mag with "Shooting Times" running a tight race .Of course "American Rifleman" is in the race also....
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Since I'd never spend over a hundred bucks on any optic, and I've always shot just fine and never had a failure of any kind with my cheap scopes, none of this wigging-out applies to my happy life.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    While you have a legitimate gripe on scope terminology, you're analogy, how can I put this nicely, is stupid and incorrect.

    Your point would be better made if you could write properly.

    :guns:
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Danoobie, one again you alone, show good understanding of the subject of this thread.

    The main point of the article in G&A (and also in Sniper magazine,) was that according to the author, the size of the objective lens had nothing to do with the light going through a scope. He was saying that people who say that a bigger objective gathers more light were totally wrong, objective size doesn't matter.

    Then he conflated the concepts of objective size and light transmission. It's very much like saying that a more powerful engine has no effect on the speed of the vehicle. My point is that using the same transmission, an engine that produces more power will make the car go faster than a vehicle that produces less power. In my response, I actually used the concept muzzle velocity and its influence on terminal velocity.

    The rules are fairly simple in optics. For the same focal length, the bigger the objective lens the more light that comes in and the magnification remains the same. The author of the article simply doesn't know that simple rule and his entire article falls down from that point. He aims to "debunk myths" and commits the biggest blunder possible right at the start.

    I totally agree with you that intended usage is the main deciding factor in selection of a scope and its objective size. You are very correct. But you understand the relationship between objective size and the amount of light going through the scope. The author of the article in G&A does not and claims that it is a myth to believe that a bigger objective doesn't let in any more light than a small one.

    Astounding that it even got published in the first place.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,049 Senior Member
    So, if you are looking down a tunnel at the light at the end,............a bigger tunnel will mean a bigger train?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    So, if you are looking down a tunnel at the light at the end,............a bigger tunnel will mean a bigger train?

    Well, a bigger train coming into the tunnel but the coating on the rails could be an issue and it might shrink down some before it pulverizes you. Please take pictures and have your next of kin post them here. Video would be better.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Your point would be better made if you could write properly.

    :guns:
    Danoobie, one again you alone, show good understanding of the subject of this thread.

    What a pompous ass. And his next post he makes an error in the first sentence and apparently doesn't know how to use a computer worth a crap either.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    But my trolling wouldn't be near as effective.

    So you're admitting it.

    :hug:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Just FYI. I did send in my email yesterday. I do not expect an answer if history is anything to go by. I have had multiple letters to the editor published in various magazines of over the decades...........

    2D902F47-4D32-4573-B4AA-324E7999DBC9_zpsuoqnvijv.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    How can I put this nicely, you're a complete moron.


    Your analogy is easily disproven as others have stated. Seems you always look to stir chit up when there is no need for it.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    What a pompous ass.


    Well....duh.
    I mean, it's Pegasus...this isn't new information.
    :tooth:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Well....duh.
    I mean, it's Pegasus...this isn't new information.
    :tooth:

    Sometimes I have an amazing grasp of the obvious.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    Bam Bam, you should be quiet, adults are talking here.

    Anyway, it's gratifying to see that I live rent-free in your mind. It's a good thing that it's free, because I don't think I could afford the rent. Not because of the size of the accommodations, just the number.

    Be that as it may, I did notice that apart from Danoobie no one understood the issue enough to even discuss it. That kind of explains how such tripe can be published in the first place.

    Discuss.

    :rotflmao:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    All I got out of that article that made any sense was that the larger the objective lens, the more light that can enter the scope and the brighter the image will be with any given amount of light available. And that isn't rocket science; it's telescope technology, and why the Hubble Space Telescope has one big honkin' lens. :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Your point would be better made if you could write properly.

    :guns:

    I don't mind members of this board picking me, sometimes I ask for it, but I don't like you picking on them. They're all good people, even the ones that eat small forest rodents and Confederate vegetables. Now then, be a good lad, and behave yourself.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    All I got out of that article that made any sense was that the larger the objective lens, the more light that can enter the scope and the brighter the image will be with any given amount of light available. And that isn't rocket science; it's telescope technology, and why the Hubble Space Telescope has one big honkin' lens. :roll2:

    If you got that out of the published article, you read a different one than I did. By the way, you are exactly correct; go to the head of the class.

    My point was and is, that the author says you are wrong, very wrong; he says that objective lens diameter has no effect on light coming in.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    I don't mind members of this board picking me, sometimes I ask for it, but I don't like you picking on them. They're all good people, even the ones that eat small forest rodents and Confederate vegetables. Now then, be a good lad, and behave yourself.

    Picking you for what exactly?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The considered response of the G&A staff, and the vast majority of the forum can be summed up in one anagram:


    DILLIGAF?

    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6EOyaMdqY

    Cover yer ears Ned...................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement