Home Main Category General Firearms

Good articles on the .45 Colt (fired in Rugers) and other big bore handgun calibers

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Good reads. Thanks Chief!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Very interesting, always knew Ruger's were strong, just never knew how strong, thanks.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, my "New" Vaquero ain't as strong as the old ones or Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colts, but it handles and carries a lot easier, more handy so to speak. It is plenty strong for anything below Ruger only loads meaning tier 1 and 2 loads, but not tier 3.

I'm still kicking myself fer not grabbing that 6.5" SS Blackhawk they had NIB for $525 when I picked up my LC9s. Gone when I went back a couple days later. Not so much for the extra beef and ability to shoot balls to the wall .45 Colt loads as I probably mostly would fire the same loads in , but the adjustable sights feature.
    Except now and again just for Cheap Thrills on the range on occasion.

Then again that defeats the purpose of a fixed sight, sleek, light and easy handling "Cowboy" SA shooter like the newer Vaqueros are.

I like the .45 Colt caliber, fun to reload and shoot. I think those who fired my Vaquero at the last SE Shoot enjoyed it. My loads were not powder puff "Cowboy", but normal with 8 or more grains of Unique or appropriate grains of Titegroup to fit in the tight window of Min-Max.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member

The question for me is not so much what the guns will take as it is what I will take versus what is needed.

The Super Blackhawk will have deliver less rock & roll to ny hand with heavy loads due to the extra mass of the gun. With H110 loads the wide black grips allow easy control. H110 loads in the 45 are just too much for me unless I switch out the grips.
    All the 45Colt loads on my belt are in the 900 to 1,000 fps range with 250 - 255 gr bullets. These will handle everything and anything I might need to period. I have XTP's loaded heavy with H110 but they're not on my belt and are more a novelty than anything else for me. If I were a expert marksman using these guns as primary hunting pieces like Zee, Ernie, Hoggin, or some others here that might be different. Mr Linbaugh also corrrectly warns us to beware of cumulative effects on the guns. Right now, Im mostly concerned with cumulative effects on me.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    I had some of those heavy loads, notice "had"; accurate enough, but, why punish one's self and the gun just because you can?

If Ya need more than normal range 45 cold, get a bigger gun.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    My hunting load for all my .45 Colt firearms is a 250gr XTP over 26.5gr H110.

It ranges from just over 1,300 fps out of my 4" Redhawk to over 1,800 fps out of my 24" Rossi lever gun. It's taken game at both ends of the velocity spectrum and isn't unpleasant to shoot.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    And generates a bit of a fireball out of my 5.5" Ruger Bisley.

RugerBisley45Colt-ACPFlameSequence2_zpsd062b7fa.jpg
    I have several .44 Mags and .45 Colts.

I like and enjoy both. But, the .44 has always seemed utilitarian to me. It has a job and does it well. The Colt, on the other hand, well..........there is just something innately cool about it. I just like it a lot.

Ironically, I didn't "discover" it until a few years ago and I blame jbohio for that discovery and subsequent infatuation.

He he is the one that enabled me into my first Colt.

DSC_0020_zpsbtufk6bh.jpg
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    And generates a bit of a fireball out of my 5.5" Ruger Bisley.

RugerBisley45Colt-ACPFlameSequence2_zpsd062b7fa.jpg

I think you answered this a couple years ago, but why is the hammer back looking cocked on firing. Did you cock it fast or bounce back? I don't remember the reason.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think you answered this a couple years ago, but why is the hammer back looking cocked on firing. Did you cock it fast or bounce back? I don't remember the reason.

I used a long exposure with a slow synchronize flash on a timer.

Basically:
    -Focus on a target stand located where I'm going to stand.
    -Push the shutter button and start the 10 second timer.
    -Walk over to target stand and move it out of the way.
    -Aim at target.
    -10 seconds elapses and the shutter opens. Causing the flash to go off and capture me aiming at the target with the hammer back.
    -After the flash goes off and the shutter remains open, I pull the trigger and the brightness of the muzzle flash is imprinted on the picture while I hold still.
    -Shutter closes.