Home Main Category General Firearms

Steiner G3 Scope???

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
I normally do not buy used glass but this one might be an exception with proper knowledge. A coworker is moving and because of their relocation area behind enemy lines some things have to go. The one thing that caught my eye was his crazy varmint stuff which includes a Steiner G3 4-20x50 scope w/rings "like new". He lists it as $750 for the scope, rings and a sunshade which seems to be an okay price. I am not really friends with him so fair smair ...

I have been thinking of a VX3i 6.5-20x40 for my trainer and best price I can get on it is $650 to my door but no rings or shade. I am seriously considering offering him $650 for everything and see what he says. The one thing I am not to much on is the reticle style which is a 7 type and is a euro BDC type.

Opinions please from the guys who know foreign glass better than me ...
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I normally do not buy used glass but this one might be an exception with proper knowledge. A coworker is moving and because of their relocation area behind enemy lines some things have to go. The one thing that caught my eye was his crazy varmint stuff which includes a Steiner G3 4-20x50 scope w/rings "like new". He lists it as $750 for the scope, rings and a sunshade which seems to be an okay price. I am not really friends with him so fair smair ...

    I have been thinking of a VX3i 6.5-20x40 for my trainer and best price I can get on it is $650 to my door but no rings or shade. I am seriously considering offering him $650 for everything and see what he says. The one thing I am not to much on is the reticle style which is a 7 type and is a euro BDC type.

    Opinions please from the guys who know foreign glass better than me ...

    I'd offer him $600 and see what he does. You CAN always go up a bit. He may come down first though half way. See what he does. Steiner makes decent Binos, but I don't know if their rifle scopes are as good as Leupold. We may be over priced here. You might offer $500.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    I traded my Steiner for a Mueller. I had to pay a little boot, and so far haven't seen the Mueller...it's an online trade.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I traded my Steiner for a Mueller. I had to pay a little boot, and so far haven't seen the Mueller...it's an online trade.

    This is kinda confusing in that the low end Steiner scopes cost four to five times as much as a Mueller. What was the issue with the high quality Steiner that would make you trade it at a huge loss for a low end scope like a Mueller?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Gene is averse to using smileys. A :jester: at the end of his statement would have helped immensely.

    A lot of his posts have been devoid of logic so I'm not so quick to assume that he's kidding.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    A lot of his posts have been devoid of logic so I'm not so quick to assume that he's kidding.

    Ye of little sense of humor...or history of this forum with Mueller scopes. A smilie face would have stepped on the punch line.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I normally do not buy used glass but this one might be an exception with proper knowledge. A coworker is moving and because of their relocation area behind enemy lines some things have to go. The one thing that caught my eye was his crazy varmint stuff which includes a Steiner G3 4-20x50 scope w/rings "like new". He lists it as $750 for the scope, rings and a sunshade which seems to be an okay price. I am not really friends with him so fair smair ...

    I have been thinking of a VX3i 6.5-20x40 for my trainer and best price I can get on it is $650 to my door but no rings or shade. I am seriously considering offering him $650 for everything and see what he says. The one thing I am not to much on is the reticle style which is a 7 type and is a euro BDC type.

    Opinions please from the guys who know foreign glass better than me ...

    I'm hoping you mean the GS3 4-20X50. Euro Optics retails it at $1,099 right now. I do not know if the sunshade is an extra cost option but since it's included that is excellent.

    The scope is a 5X variable, which is newer technology that the VX3 that you are considering. It has a 30mm tube, side focus and probably excellent but non-ED glass. The 50mm objective will be bigger than the 40mm of the VX3, but you will have a brighter picture at maximum magnification and on dark days, regardless of what some article in G&A says. This is an excellent scope for hunting and all-around use. The knobs are easy to use yet out of the way and they are 1/4 MOA. The reticle is European, as you say, but it's very usable. Of the three they list for that scope, the S7 would be my pick.

    This is a great deal, I wish I could find such deals. You lucky bastard.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement