Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, hold everything! Put the Long Range .270 on hold. I've been Enabled again.

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,387 Senior Member
Yep, one of this Forum's best enablers, I won't mention his name yet, has struck again. All my plans are on hold. You know that Commercial Mauser? Well it's getting a barrel, but not a .270. I've always wanted a 7x57 but I always had some grail gun in the way. While the 7x57 isn't exactly on GRAIL Level with me, it has always been highly respected. So what the hell, it's only money. And I will build a long range .270 but I'm just taking a slight detour. This will be an easy build. The barrel is already short chambered and only needs screwing in and reamed to proper head space. The action already has an aftermarket safety and a Timney Trigger. The action even has a scope base mount bolted to it. All I need is drop that baby in a Boyd's Laminate (Probably another Pepper laminate, I love those), mount a scope, and it's off to the range. That will give me 3, Count them THREE, 7mm rifles in my safes to ONE .270.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
«1

Replies

  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    And no 6.5x55 ?
    :nono:
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    And no 6.5x55 ?
    :nono:

    Yeah Tell me about it. But such is life.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I have a 8x57 and two 6.5x55. Someday I will have a 7x57 to keep them company.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    :tooth::devil:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    http://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.com/sales/closeout-bargain-list/

    If you scroll down to Mauser..... and look for stock # 41-20....... just saying.

    If you just have to have Boyds though, at least get a Platinum style. Much classier shape for an ol 275 Rigby
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    :tooth::devil:

    Will the REAL Enabler Please Stand UP!

    He just did.

    Anyway, if it's 22" I don't want it. No shorter than 28, LOL! I'm only kidding. 22" Will be perfect. That's what my .270 is and it is perfect. This will be a hunter just like the .270>
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    I have a 8x57 and two 6.5x55. Someday I will have a 7x57 to keep them company.

    I have an 8x57. I also have a .280 Remington and a 7 Remington Mag. This will pretty much make a good collection of 7mms. I guess I could add a 7-08, but that would be a ballistic's twin of the 7x57. The 7x57 is a REAL Classic, up there with the .270 and my .250 Savage. Those are all classic hunters to me. Add the 06 to that list too. In my opinion no collection should be without a 7x57 in it. I've avoided it too long.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Its the granddaddy of the modern smokeless cartridge, everyone should have one. I can't wait to get my VZ24 out of layaway (which is why a barrel magically came up for Snake to grab lol)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I love targets of opportunity! Well done :cool2:


    Yeah well, I'm not usually swayed off my target subject that easily. But MHS is one of my favorite people and I have the utmost respect for his opinions. And if this helps him It's all the better. AND he just happened to hit on something I've been wanting for awhile. This rifle I will hold up there with my .270. In my opinion it will be another near perfect hunting rifle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have you beat Snake, I have two .270's, a #1 Ruger and a model 1500 Howa, two .243's and a 6mm Remington but no 7x57.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I have you beat Snake, I have two .270's, a #1 Ruger and a model 1500 Howa, two .243's and a 6mm Remington but no 7x57.......robin

    I will have the LR .270 at some point. This is merely a bump in the night. I will also have a 6mm Remington. I have the donor in the safe. I have one .243 two .25s and several 30 calibers in various chamberings. I also have an 8x57 with a Mil-Surp Barrel, but sporterized. It's another near perfect hunter. I have several rifles with very long barrels, well 26 inch that are pretty heavy for hunters. This 7x57, the 8x57, my .30-06 and my .270 are or in the case of the 7x57 will all be excellent for hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    And no 6.5x55 ?
    :nono:

    I knew there's a good reason I liked you! :tooth: I have two 6.5x55 on 98 actions, two 7x57 on 98 actions, and a couple of 8x57 on, you guessed it, 98 actions. The 6.5s are my favorites, though. Mostly because they are the most accurate, and they are just WAY fun to shoot! I have a couple of 96 Mausers in 6.5, but they're Swedish milsurps and I'm leaving them as they are.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have an 8x57. I also have a .280 Remington and a 7 Remington Mag. This will pretty much make a good collection of 7mms. I guess I could add a 7-08, but that would be a ballistic's twin of the 7x57. The 7x57 is a REAL Classic, up there with the .270 and my .250 Savage. Those are all classic hunters to me. Add the 06 to that list too. In my opinion no collection should be without a 7x57 in it. I've avoided it too long.


    My 8x57 is as it was when it hit the surplus market and will stay that way. I do not have any 7mm though. Almost picked up a 7mm-08 a few months back, but passed. Some day I will have a 7mm of some sort.

    tennmike wrote: »
    I knew there's a good reason I liked you! :tooth: I have two 6.5x55 on 98 actions, two 7x57 on 98 actions, and a couple of 8x57 on, you guessed it, 98 actions. The 6.5s are my favorites, though. Mostly because they are the most accurate, and they are just WAY fun to shoot! I have a couple of 96 Mausers in 6.5, but they're Swedish milsurps and I'm leaving them as they are.

    Both of my 6.5x55s are on M96 actions. One is all milsurp and will stay that way, and the other was my first build many years ago. I could redo the stock and have it look far better, but I wont. It will stay as is. I would prefer to build one off a M98 and then push it to more modern pressures. I am just not willing to do that with a M96. The surplus M96 will only see a diet of 160gr RN loaded to about what the original velocity would have been.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    I've looked at the 6.5x55 here and there, actually all the 6.5's but for summer reason they just don't sizzle my bacon. I even bought a 260 Rem barrel, but traded the savage i bought it for.

    But.....if the right 98 (especially a small ring 98!!!) happened to cross my path, I'd probably consider it.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    I have no love for the 7mm-08 Remington. I've had a few and never fell in love.

    I HAVE considered a 7x57 Mauser. It would have to be in a Ruger No.1 or M77 RSI. For some reason, that gun need a Manlicher stock.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have no love for the 7mm-08 Remington. I've had a few and never fell in love.

    I HAVE considered a 7x57 Mauser. It would have to be in a Ruger No.1 or M77 RSI. For some reason, that gun need a Manlicher stock.

    There IS something appealing about a Ruger RSI in a 7x57. Just.....fits
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    There IS something appealing about a Ruger RSI in a 7x57. Just.....fits

    You bet there is.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    There IS something appealing about a Ruger RSI in a 7x57. Just.....fits

    Yes, I love a Mannlicher Style stock. I wonder if I can find one to fit this Mauser and Barrel?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I knew there's a good reason I liked you! :tooth: I have two 6.5x55 on 98 actions, two 7x57 on 98 actions, and a couple of 8x57 on, you guessed it, 98 actions. The 6.5s are my favorites, though. Mostly because they are the most accurate, and they are just WAY fun to shoot! I have a couple of 96 Mausers in 6.5, but they're Swedish milsurps and I'm leaving them as they are.

    Why thank you
    I have Two 6.5x55 as well and, funnily enough I have 7x57 dies but "as yet" no 7x57 rifle, I will remedy that at some stage.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    Why thank you
    I have Two 6.5x55 as well and, funnily enough I have 7x57 dies but "as yet" no 7x57 rifle, I will remedy that at some stage.

    I have no 6.5 in my safe but if I do this build I will have three 7mms in my inventory. Not too shabby for a .270 fan. I have a .280 Remington built on a 98 action with a 26" heavy sporter Shaw barrel that I had built in 1988-1989. I also have a Savage 110 pre-accutrigger in 7Rem Mag. When I add the 7x57 to the inventory I'll be well stocked with 7mms. But what I will like about this 7x57 is it will be shorter than what I have and lighter with less recoil. It will be a great deer-hog gun with some 140-150 grain bullets at about 2800 FPS it will be a great 200-400 yard deer-hog rifle and that's what we do mostly around here.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I've always wondered why since you love the .308 and other same case based cartridges and there are so many GREAT 7mm bullets available for its kin the 7mm-08 :uhm:

    The man loves the heavy high BC, the 08 doesn't really shine there. That's my guess. I think those 162 AMAX would be tough, 150 might be the practical limit. Of course that's mag limitation.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    Why thank you
    I have Two 6.5x55 as well and, funnily enough I have 7x57 dies but "as yet" no 7x57 rifle, I will remedy that at some stage.

    6.5x55 and 7x57 are great cartridges for deer sized game. They can both be flat shooters (98 or modern actions can handle the pressure increase) and both are, or can be, very accurate with the right loads and bullets. Speaking of which, bullet selection for both is HUGE in both weight and bullet shape!

    Get a 7x57, with at least a 24 inch barrel (mine have 26 inch barrels) and have some fun!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    6.5x55 and 7x57 are great cartridges for deer sized game. They can both be flat shooters (98 or modern actions can handle the pressure increase) and both are, or can be, very accurate with the right loads and bullets. Speaking of which, bullet selection for both is HUGE in both weight and bullet shape!

    Get a 7x57, with at least a 24 inch barrel (mine have 26 inch barrels) and have some fun!

    This will be a 22 Inch barrel I think MHS said. For what I do I think it will be great. I have longer ranged rifles if I need them. I have a .270, a .280, a 7 Mag and a .300 WBY if needed, that will take care of long range stuff. But to be truthful, for me a 22" Barrel 7x57 should be more than enough. And remember, long range for me is probably not long range for Ernie or Zee. I'm probably not shooting at game past 300-400 yards, not until I practice for it and get some range finding equipment. Oh and learn to read the wind, that's very important and I really don't know jack about it.

    As far as a big selection of all these bullets, I'm thinking there's 3 or 4 old standbys that will do it. All I've ever used in my .280 have been 140 and 150 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Tips and Sierra Game Kings. Anything else hasn't shown any practical improvement. I'm thinking-hoping these will work well in the 7x57. There isn't that much difference in the two cartridges, what? About 150 FPS?. I'm going to try these anyway. Whereas the .280 does great with 150 grain bullets, I'm thinking the 7x57 would do great with a 140 grain anything.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Don't forget to try some old school 160 or 175s for piggies!!

    I have a decent supply of 7mm from 120-150, most of them are 140 range.

    Loaded to modern pressure you'll be behind the 280, but not leaps and bounds. Traditional loads will be slower, but those will be, usually, heavier bullets going slow at moderate ranges.

    IIRC, the 7x57 was standardized with 160s, but the 275 Rigby was 140s when the brits adopted it and changed names.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    Talking of the 160gr 7mmbullets
    I sold my 280 Weatherby ultralight to a friend in the North Island here , he uses the 162gr Amax very effectively on the big Sambar deer .
    Is there enough room in the 98 action to suit the long Amax?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    Talking of the 160gr 7mmbullets
    I sold my 280 Weatherby ultralight to a friend in the North Island here , he uses the 162gr Amax very effectively on the big Sambar deer .
    Is there enough room in the 98 action to suit the long Amax?

    In 7x57? Yea should be. And Snake is using a commercial 98 instead of military so it should likely have a 30-06 box, issue might be more with the chamber than the magazine

    From what i gather, those sambar are very tough critters, the aussies seem to favor 35s and up. Similar to our elk. That sounds like an excellent combo of gun, cartridge and bullet
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    Yes MHS, the 9.3x62 is getting a fair bit of 'reattention' [ what a great word I just made up] over there and here also for those sorts of heavy animals and up.
    Easier to come by than the 35 Whelan and here the 338 win mag doesn't seem to be in use a lot.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Don't forget to try some old school 160 or 175s for piggies!!

    I have a decent supply of 7mm from 120-150, most of them are 140 range.

    Loaded to modern pressure you'll be behind the 280, but not leaps and bounds. Traditional loads will be slower, but those will be, usually, heavier bullets going slow at moderate ranges.

    IIRC, the 7x57 was standardized with 160s, but the 275 Rigby was 140s when the brits adopted it and changed names.

    You know what I have? About 60 160 grain Game Kings left over from some loads I made for my 7 Mag. They'd be slow but inside a couple hundred yards who's counting?

    Soooieee Pig!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    Yes MHS, the 9.3x62 is getting a fair bit of 'reattention' [ what a great word I just made up] over there and here also for those sorts of heavy animals and up.
    Easier to come by than the 35 Whelan and here the 338 win mag doesn't seem to be in use a lot.

    Funny, you say 9.3x62 to most American hunters and they look at you funny and say "a what?"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You know what I have? About 60 160 grain Game Kings left over from some loads I made for my 7 Mag. They'd be slow but inside a couple hundred yards who's counting?

    Soooieee Pig!

    Just taking a quick look at Load Data, i see plenty of recipes for the 160, should be no problem getting 2500 to near 2700 from a 22" barrel.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement