Moving with my gun collection

M1 GarandM1 Garand New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
I am moving across 3 states to a new home. What I am wondering is how to move my gun collection with me? I have 20 handguns about that many rifles and close to 15,000 rounds of ammo. What with the anti-gun feelings in this country I dont want to be pulled over for a minor traffic infraction and have the officer ask do you have any guns? Im not going to lie but I can see a problem when I say how many. I dont have enough cases to have them all cased but I can get the majority in the gun safe but then there is all the ammo. Do I need a permit to go across state lines with this amount of guns and ammo? Any input from the forum will help!

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,342 Senior Member
    What you described isn't much more than what some of us do going to a SE Shoot, and we do it every year. I guess my only concern would be which states you are crossing and which state you are moving to-- some specific states have goofy laws and you may want to cover your butt traveling through them. Traveling interstate, the only real precaution I would take is to make sure that the firearms are not accessible to the vehicle occupants and they are unloaded. If you do that, you should be just fine.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    They'll need to be protected from damage, and theft.

I'd pack them in such away that the whole truck would need to be unloaded just access sight of them. If forced to answer questions from LEO'S. "I'm moving, I have a collection burried deep in the load that's not accessible."
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,332 Senior Member
    When I last moved I put my guns in cases of some sort (which was old socks for some of the handguns) and then tucked them away at the bottom of the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Depends on what states you're dealing with. Now technically you are protect under the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 for transporting firearms to and from places you are heading BUT certain draconian states (NY, NJ, MD and a few other NE states along with DC ... CA as expected ... etc) can make it miserable so kinda need to know what states to really say more.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,881 Senior Member
    Depends on which states.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-LOT-50-GUN-Trigger-Locks-Gun-Store-Pawn-Shop-SAFETY-SALE-PSP-TG1000/172729270972?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3D667d0426cbf44c03b13ceb6b6a9f9d38%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D172134193303

Buy some el cheapo trigger locks for them all, make sure they are all unloaded, no loaded magazines, and have both guns and ammo where they can't be reached from the passenger compartment of the vehicle will get you through every state........ except maybe Jersey or DC.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,608 Senior Member
    I just moved a slightly smaller amount across country myself, no problems other than the car being overloaded from all the ammo!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."