Home Main Category General Firearms

Athlon Optics ... Anyone Know About Them?

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
A local group is having a group buy on Athlon Ares scopes at what I consider a huge savings versus what I can find from other sources BUT I don't know anything about them. I have been saving for an LR scope and this scope offers things scopes way more than I can afford offer in my budget range and I am real tempted. So what do you guys know and think ...
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,680 Senior Member
    According to a post on their Facebook page, they are made in China. For prices rivaling Vortex and some Leupolds I'd pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    As many scopes or parts are these days with an American company name on them.

Razor HD scopes are manufactured in Japan
    Vipers are made in Philippines
    Diamondbacks are made in Philippines made as well
    Crossfire scopes are produced in China

https://bestar15scope.org/where-are-vortex-scopes-made/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Even Leupold scopes lenses are made overseas.................but to quality standards.

https://www.leupold.com/about-us/americas-optics-authority/

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses. This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production. Leupold’s lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards.

Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process. Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years."
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,680 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    As many scopes or parts are these days with an American company name on them.

Razor HD scopes are manufactured in Japan
    Vipers are made in Philippines
    Diamondbacks are made in Philippines made as well
    Crossfire scopes are produced in China

https://bestar15scope.org/where-are-vortex-scopes-made/

You're absolutely right, but I'm not willing to pay "Japanese" prices (Athlons seem to go for $700-$850) for a Chinese scope. Especially if it uses Chinese glass. At least the Philippine made Vortex optics use Japanese glass.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    See if you can look through one, maybe shoot a rifle one is mounted on. Then make up your own mind. Ask around the range/ search Google and weigh the cost against a brand you are familiar with and compare.

Companies with good customer service and a solid reputation may be a better choice than a new guy on the block and worth the extra. You didn't say how deep the discount was, but heck if it is 1/2 off the street price and you feel lucky.........go fer it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The lenses Leupold rejects are probably wholesaled out to local companies that make lookalike knockoffs. Those bargain-priced "Leupolds" with a slightly off-color gold ring that pop up on Ebay on occasion- - - - -don't try sending one back for warranty work!
    Jerry