Home Main Category General Firearms

Tried out a Sig P320 compact 9mm today

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,009 Senior Member
With the multi-service military acquisition for the M17 (P320 full-size) and M18 (P320 compact) looming, I've been examining the prospect of buying one, as I did with the Beretta 92FS/M9, to stay in practice with the service weapon. Granted, it will take years for the P320-series pistols to actual replace the M9...but it is as good an excuse as any to buy a new pistol.

So, I went to a new-to-me local range today that had a rental P320 compact available and decided to give it a shot. I bought 100 rounds of Fiocchi 115 gr. hardball and hit the indoor lanes with the intention of shooting 50 through the P320 and 50 through my Kahr P9 carry gun. I wanted to be done relatively fast to avoid going over the half hour block that I pre-paid, and thank goodness I did: holy hell, was it hot in there! Apparently, the ventilation system at this place pipes in outside air to keep clean air circulated. It was well into the 90s today with high humidity and the suck factor was through the roof. It might as well have been an outdoor range. I had to wipe the fog out of my shooting glasses between mags, which got old pretty fast. Beautiful, well-kept range, but I doubt I'll be shooting there again until winter.

Sweating profusely aside, I was pretty impressed with the gun. Freestanding, I shot 30 rounds from one box at 3 meters/~10 feet (bottom target) and then shot the final 20 from that box at 5 meters/~16.5 feet (top target). It shot right to point-of-aim with no effort, which was great. While everyone has their own love/hate affair with the variety of striker-fired DAO pistol triggers out there, I have to say that compared to the latest CZ P-series pistol trigger and the S&W shield, I liked the Sig trigger a whole lot more. It has a quick stack-up followed by a short, clean break. The other aforementioned options I tried had some grit to the pull that turned me off. The Sig's trigger hardly feels the part of a 6+ lb. pull that the spec sheet shows.

64011505-3FD4-409E-B2C2-9A5FA85AF7BB_zpsi5jzylmk.jpg

My overall impression is that the P320 is a really nice-feeling gun, both in the compact version that I shot and the full-size that I fondled from the display case. Accuracy was better than expected despite serious fogging issues with my shooting glasses as the session went on, though the tested distances were very short. The controls are easy to find and takedown is almost identical to my Kahr P9. The ability to swap the guts into a full-size frame for cheaper than the cost of a new gun is a nice bonus, as is the ability to go to a .40/.357 SIG on the same guts. No plans to do either in the immediate future, but nice to know that the options exist.

All in all, I think I'll be buying one of these in Flat Dark Earth finish (P320 FDE) just to break up my boring assortment of black polymer pistols.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,646 Senior Member
    Good report. I keep resisting getting one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,327 Senior Member
    Great shooting!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,364 Senior Member
    Great report.
    So, did the Military make a good choice? Stepping up from the M9?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,009 Senior Member
    I think it's a good choice, especially since they are fielding more than one frame option this time to accommodate different hand sizes. However, I'm not terribly on-board with the external safety that the military version will incorporate. That's not on Sig, though. They are simply building to their requirements.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well that will keep them outta the cockpit :jester: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,539 Senior Member
    Nice shooting!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Looks like a shooter! But you're an O5 now; don't you have guys to shoot for you? :jester:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Looks like a shooter! But you're an O5 now; don't you have guys to shoot for you? :jester:
    Self-defense in an ejection/crash landing/ditching into hostile territory scenario is a strictly every-man-for-himself affair. Gotta be able to kill your own assailant at a moment's notice.
    As for the field repairs, it should be freaking awesome. Pull guts, grab replacement slide/frame/barrel/whatever and reassemble. Toss broken part in the dumpster.

The safety is another issue. The part isn't necessarily the issue, rather the rules of use that require a certain readiness condition that are the issue. I believe that our base cops are required to keep their pistols manually safed when holstered, which comes with some glaring issues in a gate-runner scenario or truck mayhem incident like we've seen a few times in Europe.
    The ONLY thing I liked about the M9 safety was that it doubled as a pretty nice de-cocker. Otherwise, it was just another part.
    ^^What you said about the interchangeable grip is going to be a game changer for people issued the new gun. I, too, am at the ragged edge of fit for the larger Beretta grip. The slightly smaller grip available with the Sig is nice upgrade for anyone previously stuck against the one-size-fits-all issues the M9 had.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Nice shootn Tex!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain