Home Main Category General Firearms

Little range report

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,280 Senior Member
First, I got ammo for the Lee navy so it was a priority to get her out.... about 3 weeks ago.

1896 6mm Lee Navy
ammo is from Buffalo Arms, cases are cut 25-06, loaded with 32.5gr IMR4895 under a 87gr .243

c2fad9b8-13b0-4cb6-b088-3d6da8a9720c_zpst3gd9dag.jpg

It was a short session because it was after the real work was done with the AR's. First two I launched into a sand pile at 15 feet holding it away from any parts that I didnt figure I could do without. No problems so up range we went. If you notice the mat, that started just about the time I got into place. Not wanting to get the old girl and myself soaked, I sent a few and called it off.
At 200 yds I was a little high so I left some light between the front sight and the bull and started cutting black. I shot some, and although I put up a 8 or two, I was pretty happy with it. The trigger is unimaginably sucky, long creeping heavy and just plain normal for a old military rifle. The recoil was non existent so I called Buff Arms and they got back to me with the powder type. Sights are more like a Mauser than a trapdoor or 03 or Krag. Wide post in a U rear where the sides fall off left and right. Its a little odd. Next time she goes out, the sight black is going to be applied.

My head and face are still intact, so overall I am calling it a win. Definitely an odd duck that I am going to bring out, maybe to the Marine Corps league shoot just to yank some chains to the Garand guys about new fangled rifles. We will see.

Yesterday I took a half day off and took Spawns 2 and 3 to the range. The boy is coming into his own with the NMA2, his groups are not bad and he is consistent. Non of us is good enough to take anything home in the match, but I told him and me shootin bud, Winner buys Dinner. I will regardless, but it is fun seeing the look on his face when he realizes that he could beat the old man. ESPECIALLY IF THE OLD GUY LEAVES HIS WINDAGE ON from the last session. In RF prone at 300 (10 shots standing to prone with a reload in 60 seconds) I shot a score that was 1 10, 8 9's and a 8. the 10 and 9 were on the lines and the others were within the width of the 9 ring, about 3 inches. The group was 4 - 5 inches max. 2 clicks left and I would have cleaned it.

Spawn #3 is shooting the vintage sniper with her sister. She has had funky eyes since birth so open sights arent her thing. But with a little coaching, at 300 her last 3 were 10-9-10 with the 03AFaux (home made 03A4) and the 2.5x Weaver. They will be shooting my buds Mosin in the match. It isnt the 03AFaux, but it can medal. The son got behind the 03AFaux which he will be teaming with me on since my shootin bud is wimping out on me. Going on a caribou hunt instead of a match.. Anyway, the son put up 10's x's and a nine at 300 so I had him hold off so we had ammo for 600. They swapped with us and the AR's and we shot our 300 rapid to the sights and sounds of lightning and thunder. Called it a day without getting 600 yd practice in.

On the trip home we had to make a detour. Rt 422 was washed out so we took a dead reckoning tour. Started with the daughters phone GPS and like I have told them, dont rely on that thing, because it lost signal. She asked where are we going, I said the sun is over there where we want it, I dont know where we are going but we are making good time.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,391 Senior Member
    Purdy old gun, and it sounds like you had fun shooting it! :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Accurate notes till more time is available:up:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fun day. Good shooting too!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Isn't the .220 Swift made from Lee Navy cases??

Cool rifle, just my style, I may have to look for one!!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Yes, yes they are.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is a cool rifle. Sounds to me like everyone is doing pretty decent from the firing line.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Isn't the .220 Swift made from Lee Navy cases??

Cool rifle, just my style, I may have to look for one!!

15K made total of a 100,000 rifle contract. A bunch went down on the Maine, be careful about that. The ones that did have provenance because the were brought up with the Maine and only when it was raised. Bannerman sold a bunch of those. They were used for a short time and replaced. IIRC, Span Amer war, Boxer Rebellion, Moro Insurrection, and were retired out by 1906. You dont find them everywhere. I wasnt looking for one but a friend found a guy who told him he might sell his and called me. It was never advertised and I took the trapdoor cash and stuck it in a pile with a lot more after a negotiation. This one isnt pristine by any means but its not bad. If you find one, you will pay for it, but they are easier to pay for than find.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.