Home Main Category General Firearms

Technical tang sight question.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,423 Senior Member
Thanks to SGS3 I'm now thinking a tang sight on the "new" Marlin 39a. So the serial # is on the tang .500 is the standard marbles tang measurement center to center for the hole spacing. It ends just before the SN. Over 1.800 to 1.95o will cover the SN and leave enough meat to drill and tap. I think I want to go the second route. Is that legal? I'm not defacing it in any way just covering it. Let's chat.
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,423 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You ain't defacing the SN. Someone wants to be a prick, you take the sight off and tell them to pound sand.
    Cool. A Winchester 73 uberti manufacture marbles tang is 21degree angle and 1.93" long with the elevation range for the 39a. I may have my solution.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,774 Senior Member
    You're overthinking it....the sn is there and the sight base is removable....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You're overthinking it....the sn is there and the sight base is removable....
    Just one of my wonderful qualities. Thanks.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Is there enough vertical adjustment to zero the sight with it positioned on the tang to clear the S/N? You need to be aware that the position of the base on the tang will alter the tang aperturte to bore center dimension.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Is there enough vertical adjustment to zero the sight with it positioned on the tang to clear the S/N? You need to be aware that the position of the base on the tang will alter the tang aperturte to bore center dimension.
    Jerry
    The 39a sights base and seem are at the bottom of the tang .5" in front of the stock bolt. I'm thinking of using a base and staff that moves it up the tang about 1/2 way and using a taller front sight.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I went with a Skinner sight on my 39a and it hits point of aim with yje original front sight......just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,637 Senior Member
    Don't be drilling and tapping on a 39 Marlin! If I understand that is your goal. You'll devalue the gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Have you thought of a Skinner sight?
    39_sight3.jpg?359
    Those are a good looking sight. Hmmmmmm. My other 39a has a Williams FP and I love it.