I'm a little confused - SP101 Match Champion?

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,284 Senior Member
New SP101 just came out, .357 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. Just what competition are they selling this for? It's too big for IDPA BUG stages.

My two SPs shoot great (2.75" .357 and 4" .22), but I'm just wondering...

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101MatchChampion/models.html
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,114 Senior Member
    I think Ned has a .327 not a .357 Magnum in an Sp101? Might be a little jumpy with full house .357s. I think I fired neds before at a SE Shoot.

Seems little light for competition or a lot of range shootin to me.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    ICORE maybe? Just a WAG.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    Well, it is 4 oz heavier that a standard SP 101 and 2 oz heavier than mine; I think Chief is correct, not heavy enough for a lot of shooting at one session.

They call it a trail gun on the web site.
    This message has been deleted
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Canadian legal?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Canadian legal?

Has to be 4.2 inches
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Has to be 4.2 inches
    That is exactly the barrel measurement. Looks like it's for the Canuks.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    Lotta gals out there with small hands that won't be too comfy with the duty-sized 6-shots. Not the traditional platform, but would make a decent Bullseye gun for such a person.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    Carry gun?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Got a 3" SP101. 357 not bad with 125gr defence loads but not all that pleasant with 158gr full house loads, that's what the gp 100 is for.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    I could see how the adjustable sights would be handy for a trail gun tho.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,574 Senior Member
    Awesome in .327 Federal.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,309 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Awesome in .327 Federal.
    I'm glad the firearms industry has chosen to cater to those who choose an alternative lifestyle! :up:
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,066 Senior Member
    Ruger's marketing department is just running out of crap to throw at the wall... :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Lotta gals out there with small hands that won't be too comfy with the duty-sized 6-shots. Not the traditional platform, but would make a decent Bullseye gun for such a person.

I have an EAA Windicator, .357 Mag four inch barrel and boot grip that my wife absolutely loves. The only real differences are the sights and the fact that when mine breaks it becomes a paper weight.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm glad the firearms industry has chosen to cater to those who choose an alternative lifestyle! :up:
    They sure have
    .327 in a LCR
    no way I'd shoot one even if I was paid to shoot it.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,284 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Ruger's marketing department is just running out of crap to throw at the wall... :tooth:

This seems to be the answer. No one I've asked knows of any organized competition that this revolver would be good for.

And yes, it's a neat trail gun, and yes Ruger makes the SP101 in other calibers, but that wasn't the point of this thread. Reading is fundamental.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 317 Member
    NN wrote: »
    They sure have
    .327 in a LCR
    no way I'd shoot one even if I was paid to shoot it.

I don't agree with that I have a S&W 38 that kicks like a mule and a Ruger LCR 357 that is fun to shoot even with full house 357 loads both guns are about the same size and weight
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,309 Senior Member

That is the exact answer. And there isn't a competition it's suited for.
    It's marketing wank, pure and simple. Even though there isn't a competition it fits, its "made for competition." See? The web site says so. It's a match champion!
    It's akin to high speed low drag tactical operator ninja sniper AR15s.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,978 Senior Member
    I would say it is just a SP101 "tuned" by Ruger
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    gunner81 wrote: »
    I don't agree with that I have a S&W 38 that kicks like a mule and a Ruger LCR 357 that is fun to shoot even with full house 357 loads both guns are about the same size and weight

I cannot speak for you, but, my experience with a .327 SP 101 at 28 oz and the factory rubber grip with the wood inserts is that my hand went numb for hours and I only shot 30 100gr sp's
    at one shooting period.

With a Hogue mono grip it is more manageable. Chamber pressure is much higher with the .327 than the .357.

So for me , I still do not want to shoot .327 in a 15-17 oz revolver
    I have .38 spl+P from a LCR and don't want to do that again just for fun.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,396 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    New SP101 just came out, .357 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. Just what competition are they selling this for? It's too big for IDPA BUG stages.

My two SPs shoot great (2.75" .357 and 4" .22), but I'm just wondering...

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101MatchChampion/models.html

It is too big for IDPA BUG Division but it fits right in with SSR.
    Stock Revolvers must be of .38 Caliber or larger, and utilize rimmed-case ammunition which is loaded into the gun using standard speedloaders or manually -- moon clips cannot be used. Barrel length must be 4.25" or less (as measured from the front face of the cylinder), and maximum unloaded weight is 43 oz. Seven- and eight-shot revolvers are permitted, but may load only six rounds. Stock REV guns must use ammunition meeting a minimum Power Factor of 105,000.
    Six rounds is a Division maximum not a minimum. If you want to compete with 5 rounds it's up to you. Some people like challenging themselves and others like a 5 shot because it's lighter.

Just because it's chambered in .357 Magnum it will most likely be used with .38 puff loads at or very near the 105 PF.

It's fun to shoot these guns in competition this way and fewer competitors shoot revolver as compared to pistol so it improves your odds.

Just sayin'.
    :beer:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    My S/W 637 Air weight is pretty rough to shoot with +P's. A little better with a milder load.
    Kinda reminds me of what S&W did with model 60s on the J frame or the Airweights Pro in .357 and .38+P models, except these Rugers weigh in @ 30 oz not 21 or so like the model 60.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,723 Senior Member
    Funny you should say that.

Ruger's Instagram and Facebook accounts announced it on Monday. Two most common questions are:
    A. Why 4.2" barrel and not 4"? (I know the answer to this.)
    B. What's the point of this revolver.
    Questions have been asked a few times. Ruger has not responded to either of those questions. I find that odd because if folks are asking that sort of question, you would think someone would have the answer.....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,066 Senior Member
    Funny you should say that.

Ruger's Instagram and Facebook accounts announced it on Monday. Two most common questions are:
    A. Why 4.2" barrel and not 4"? (I know the answer to this.)
    B. What's the point of this revolver.
    Questions have been asked a few times. Ruger has not responded to either of those questions. I find that odd because if folks are asking that sort of question, you would think someone would have the answer.....
    You would think... :uhm:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Not a bad looking revolver and I guess those wanting a J-frame-ish 5 shooter weighing in at 30 oz that has Adj sights and probably capable of good or even target grade accuracy with practice and in .357 this could be just the ticket.

Bottom line...........be thankful they at Ruger have loosened up over the years on variety and not keep selections down and given gun buyers more choices. The name.....well you can interpret that to mean anythng you want. Probably a better name would be Trail Shooter, light magnum or whatever with a description that it is potent enough in .357 to be a good woods revolver, home protection and suitable for accurate shooting on the range as well.

Ruger has knocked quite a few outta the ballpark, just look at the Redhawks and choices in calibers for an example.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,723 Senior Member
    You would think... :uhm:
    Yeah, that's what's got me scratching my head. Most other companies, especially one that big, have someone who's following up on that sort of thing.
    Overkill is underrated.