Speaking of Canuks

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,256 Senior Member
Just about every match I shoot, they tell you in the safety briefing if you loose control of your gun, don't try and catch it. Just let it go to the ground. Well a couple weeks ago, up in the great white north, a very experienced shooter lost control and tried to catch it. Shot himself in the chest. DOA. I think he was a Master so no rookie. Thing is, he was shooting an STI I think. He must have pinned the grip safety. Only the second death ever in USPSA I believe.

So you if start to drop your gun, just let it go.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,434 Senior Member
    Too bad. It would be interesting to know if he did pin the grip safety. While CAS I I've seen several shooters "yard sale it" while running to the next station. That's why they staged all loaded guns at the stage your runing to.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    This is a long standing warning in every training day we have.

Tragic for his family and friends.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,665 Senior Member
    If he grabbed it by the grip and trigger at the same time, depressing the grip safety, it could have had an unintentional discharge. Bad thing.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06