Home Main Category General Firearms

AR pistols

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 742 Senior Member
Question: is there a difference between a stripped ar rifle lower and a stripped ar pistol lower?

Reason being, I have a stripped ar lower from Palmetto State languishing in the back of my safe and the urge to build is getting strong. I don't need another ar in rifle length and am wondering about a pistol length build in 5.56/.223 or .300.

Second question: what, if any, legal hoops should I be aware of?

Hawk

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    My understanding from a google search is you can go either way once.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,755 Senior Member
    No difference other than what you turn it into....once it is a rifle that's what it will be forevermore...same thing with a pistol - legally speaking..
    How is the lower identified on the 4473? Rifle? Pistol? Other?

When I bought my stripped lower recently, I was sure to have the dealer identify it as a pistol lower on the 4473. Since the state in which I reside requires that pistols be registered the finished product must be under 26 inches to be classed as a pistol. This onerous requirement actually works to my advantage since I keep the registration certificate in the grip along with the BATF letter identifying the brace as legal. This is to forestall any argument with an overzealous LEO that the firearms an SBR rather than pistol....

The 26 inch requirement presented some interesting problems....I was originally considering a 10 inch upper but decided on a 8.5" upper...fortunate, since the shortest I could get the whole package was 25 inches.

Depending on where you live your mileage vary, but that's what I encountered in my little corner of the world....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    it depends on the original build. If it is first built as a rifle (buttstock, 16" barrel), then it will ALWAYS be a rifle, and is a ticket to prison if you make it into something with a leas-than-16"-barrel without filing for the $200 tax stamp

If you originally build it as a pistol (no buttstock), you can swap it into a rifle, providing you put the 16" barrel on FIRST before you put on a buttstock. Same with taking it back to being a pistol. Take the stock off first before you put on the short barrel... It is perfectly fine to make a pistol BIGGER, but it is a big no-no to make a rifle smaller.

Also- constructive intent is a real thing. Don't have an AR pistol around if you have a buttstock around that can be attached to it without tools- in other words, a pistol built with a carbine spring tube on the back and a collapsable buttstock sitting around nearby with no other gun it COULD be installed on. However, having 2 AR Rifles an AR pistol, and a spare buttstock is perfectly fine. Because that spare stock COULD be for one of the rifles.

Yes, it is stupid and makes no sense. But thats what you get when you mix tax law and law enforcement.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    My understanding from a google search is you can go either way once.

Not gonna touch that one.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Oh just a little?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Children!!!!!!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Children!!!!!!
    Yes?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Thanks for confirming my understanding of the rules. I don't remember what the 4473 says. I wasn't thinking pistol when I bought the lowers.

Hawk
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming my understanding of the rules. I don't remember what the 4473 says. I wasn't thinking pistol when I bought the lowers.

Hawk

A lot of places mark the stripped lowers as "other" on the 4473. Marked as other the lower can be built into either long gun or short gun.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »

Hawk

If it said "receiver", which it could have, it's all on you to decide.

Call the shop you bought it from and ask them them to look at the 4473 and tell you.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    . Only catch is as far as the government is concerned, if you make it a pistol, it stays a pistol. Cant change it into a rifle if you want later. Only difference will be is the lack of stock, and barrel length.
    Actually, you CAN make a rifle out of a pistol ONCE. I've seen quite a few single shot BR rifles built from XP-100 actions. Once it goes rifle, it's a rifle, or tax stamp forever more.

The only exception I'm aware of are TC Contenders.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Ned spent to much time with sailors.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Lol, lucky guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its only Queer if you're at the pier? Its not gay if you're underway?

Not my version of luck.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Ned spent to much time with sailors.

The Sailors gave me a wide berth sorta like in fear
    " Did you see that guy in the sateen utilities going down the passage way with a white
    hardhat on and carrying that 2 foot crescent wrench, what's up with him is he a CB Officer or just nuts."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,414 Senior Member
    The Sailors gave me a wide berth sorta like in fear
    " Did you see that guy in the sateen utilities going down the passage way with a white
    hardhat on and carrying that 2 foot crescent wrench, what's up with him is he a CB Officer or just nuts."

Were you just entertaining yourself that day or were you fixing something with a 2' crescent wrench? Can you still strip a nut with a 2' crescent wrench?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11