Home Main Category General Firearms

home grown lead

2»

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Try cutting off a small slice of the shiny stuff with a knife. If it cuts smoothly it's probably pure tin. If it sort of flakes off in chunks it might be antimony, which is used in VERY small doses to help harden an alloy. I'm betting on tin. A 1 lb. ingot would mix with 40 lbs. of wheel weight material to get an approximate 5% alloy, once the floating steel clips were skimmed off the pot.
    Jerry

Well it slices smoothly so perhaps it is tin. I've got two of these big bars at aprox 5# ea so I guess I need to come up with about 400# of WW material:tooth:
    thanks for the help.

Sako
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Either that, or invest in a good hacksaw!
    LOL!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Anyone know if a mold can be reconditioned? I tried a 30cal I'm guessing about a 150gr sp mold in the collection and it is leaving a thin bit of flash at the base. Thought maybe the sprue plate was loose but no. Then I noticed a bit of a divot at the edge of the mold which I think is allowing a bit of lead to flow out of the mold.
    It's an RCBS mold. Anyone know if it can be sent back for repair?

Sako

Call their customer service and see. They may send you a brand new one.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Call their customer service and see. They may send you a brand new one.

While that is the obvious choice, it's going to get the CPJ treatment instead.

Sako
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Getting the screw that holds the sprue plate on removed can be a challenge on some molds. Once that's accomplished, facing off the top shouldn't be too difficult.
    Jerry