Home Main Category General Firearms

Sako AIII actions...any experience?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,531 Senior Member
I'm looking at an unbarreled Sako A3 action, stainless, long action. It's second hand but never been barreled. Pros, cons?

I have no experience with them. I might be able to get it at a good price.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,793 Senior Member
    Solid actions. Stocks aren't too hard to find, not as many options as a Remington, but a good selection. What are you thinking about doing with it?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,730 Senior Member
    Well I've owned Sako rifles in A1 and A2 action lengths and all were outstanding shooters.
    Don't know if that helps but it's all I got!!

Sako
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    Solid actions. Stocks aren't too hard to find, not as many options as a Remington, but a good selection. What are you thinking about doing with it?

Straight up hunting rifle. Dunno if it's a mag or standard bolt face yet. So maybe 7mm Mag or .338-06, depending on that info.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Straight up hunting rifle. Dunno if it's a mag or standard bolt face yet. So maybe 7mm Mag or .338-06, depending on that info.

Nice. 338-06 has always fascinated me. But I'm jumping on the 9.3 train so its a bit superfluous to get a 338.

I barely lost an auction like 4 months ago, for an AV, so i looked into them quite a bit. I think you'll be happy with it
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,351 Senior Member
    I'm looking at an unbarreled Sako A3 action, stainless, long action. It's second hand but never been barreled. Pros, cons?

I have no experience with them. I might be able to get it at a good price.

I don't know about that particular action, but from what I know about Sakos is they may not be the very best accuracy wise, but they are a fine built Sporter for hunting. I know for a hunter they are very accurate, just like a good Mauser. Sako quality is next to none. With the ones I've shot, if you want to shoot a deer out to 400 yards it is definitely up to the task. And it's fit and finish is beautiful.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I don't know what A1, A2, or A3 corresponds to, but back in the day they called the short action the Forrester and the Long action the Finbear. I knew a guy I went to school with who had a Forrester in .243 Win. and a man my dad knew had a Finbear in .270 Win. They were beautiful guns and the wood was immaculate, with very nice like maybe 22 lines per inch checkering. I don't know if they were hand checkered or not but they very well could have been.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Nice. 338-06 has always fascinated me. But I'm jumping on the 9.3 train so its a bit superfluous to get a 338.

I barely lost an auction like 4 months ago, for an AV, so i looked into them quite a bit. I think you'll be happy with it

I want a 9.3x62 very badly. Unfortunately the one I want is about as rare as they come for modern guns. Around 2010 Ruger made the M77 Safari in blued and stainless in 9.3. It's not made anymore and very very hard to find.

I like the CZ 9.3 rifles without the full length Mannlicher stock, but those are a bit scarce too...and north of $1100.
    I want a 9.3x62 very badly. Unfortunately the one I want is about as rare as they come for modern guns. Around 2010 Ruger made the M77 Safari in blued and stainless in 9.3. It's not made anymore and very very hard to find.

I like the CZ 9.3 rifles without the full length Mannlicher stock, but those are a bit scarce too...and north of $1100.

Yea the safari was a great rifle, even the 223 was cool. But they kept cracking stocks, that is a big reason they went to the "guide gun".

If this Sako is a .473 bolt, why not just screw on a .366 tube vs a 338? You lose the 160-225 range if bullets, but you'll have 232-320.

I like the CZ 9.3 rifles without the full length Mannlicher stock, but those are a bit scarce too...and north of $1100.[/QUOTE]

Do what I did. Find a nice used long action 77 and re-barrel it. Ask Jerm about it. I have right at $1,100 in it. I don't believe you will find a nice one much cheaper. Mine has a 1:12 twist 24" Shilen Barrel. With a tight Nutt with good eyes behind the trigger, say someone like yourself or maybe Zee, it is definitely capable of shooting tighter groups than MOA. And with a rifle of this caliber you don't need it any tighter than that. But one warning, no matter which way you go, you probably ain't a gonna have a NICE 9.3 for anything SOUTH of $1,100.

Edited: All that is if you just want it in a 77. However, if you have the Sako Action already, just do what MHS said and screw in and chamber the 9.3 Barrel. Now you're talking in the $500 range instead of $1,100.
    Join the 9.3 club.... you know you want to
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    9.3x62, It would be purrrfect for that.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know about that particular action, but from what I know about Sakos is they may not be the very best accuracy wise, but they are a fine built Sporter for hunting.

I don't know what you're basing that statement on but I've always considered Sako's as a bit higher quality than a Remington or Winchester and exceptionally accurate. I have a Sako AV in 7mm rem mag that I bought used over 25 years ago and it's the most accurate rifle that I own. Before I bought it, I read quite a bit about higher quality rifles and based my decision on a lot of articles praising their quality and accuracy. My Sako has definitely lived up to their reputation.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Looks like the action is going north of $400 so I'm pretty much out. It's not that much better than a Rem 700 stainless action.
    Looks like the action is going north of $400 so I'm pretty much out. It's not that much better than a Rem 700 stainless action.

And I would argue that the 700 might be just a little superior to it design wise. You polish it up and install a TImney Trigger, maybe even install a trigger that blocks the firing pin and you may have something much better and more accurate.

Sako's superiority lies mostly in fit and finish. You can do that yourself.