Home Main Category General Firearms

A tale of two orphans

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,286 Senior Member
I have acquired a couple of orphans. One was given to me a about 15 years ago. It is a Squires Bingham Model 20 .22 rifle and was missing firing pin, magazine, and bolt handle.

The second one was brought to me today and given to me. It is a Squires Bingham Model 16 made to slightly resemble an AR 15. It had the firing pin and bolt handle, but was missing the end cap and all the springs for the bolt and the metal bits that fit in the bolt.

Neither have magazines; that's going to be a problem to solve.

So.............................I now have a pattern of the firing pin to complete the first one. And I have to replicate all the parts the Model 16 is missing from the bolt, and it is also missing the safety. NO parts are available anywhere I've looked.

orphans_zpskmdxrwzz.jpg
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Cool but troublesome projects...love bringing back to life old .22s.

Check the ammoclip page or eBay for magazines for these oddities....Numrich gun parts maybe? A 3D printed plastic mag might be another option, but you'll need either a pattern to scan or the exact dimensions.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Just looked for ya , Gun Parts Corp. has lots of parts for the M-20 click on Armsacor ( of the philippines )

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    I have one of those that looks like an AR. It is a hideous hunk of poo, but it is accurate as heck. Need pics of the magazine?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,286 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I have one of those that looks like an AR. It is a hideous hunk of poo, but it is accurate as heck. Need pics of the magazine?

Pics of magazine would be nice. I can make a few if I have to, or modify something existing.

Edit to add: Just ordered the parts I need to make the Model 16 complete. Should be fun getting these things cleaned up. They are both in need of some TLC on wood and metal as both were never really taken care of; the Model 20 has been cleaned of most of the gunk and surface rust removed. The Model 16 has been ministered to by a real hack; it has some pretty seriously stupid things done to it.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Pics of magazine would be nice. I can make a few if I have to, or modify something existing.

I need to put this rifle on the ugly gun thread. Here is the magazine
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    The plastic pistol grip for the Model 16 looks like someone's dog used it for a chew toy. And it is cracked nearly in half. The good news on that is that I can modify an AR 15 pistol grip to fit it.
    ― Douglas Adams
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I need to put this rifle on the ugly gun thread. Here is the magazine

EWWWWW! That looks complicated. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I looks like they found the perfect home.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    cpj wrote: »
    And you say converting an Enfield to 45-70 sucked? :tooth:
    Check your email by the way.

At least there's more parts included with these than there was with the Enfield 'fence post' project! :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes, but, they still sell parts for fence posts!

Still sell parts for MY fence posts, too. Ordered the parts I need to make the Mod. 16 mostly complete. And a firing pin for the Mod. 20.

Anyway, a feller can't have too many .22 rimfire rifles and pistols. The guy that gave me the Model 16 gave me a funny look when I said, "I can fix that one to make it work again." :roll2: I'm working on another poo stick for him, so that Mod. 16 is partial payment! :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I had a mod 20 when I was in high school and the thing was very accurate but I don't think that it ever went through a 10 round magazine without at least one jam. Ammoclip.com doesn't have the magazine in stock but they show a picture of one. Also, that stock is African Padauk and is a real pretty deep red when it's cleaned up and oiled.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    I'm sure you have thought about it, but I wonder if a magazine from another mfg could be modified to work?
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,854 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I have acquired a couple of orphans. One was given to me a about 15 years ago. It is a Squires Bingham Model 20 .22 rifle and was missing firing pin, magazine, and bolt handle.

The second one was brought to me today and given to me. It is a Squires Bingham Model 16 made to slightly resemble an AR 15. It had the firing pin and bolt handle, but was missing the end cap and all the springs for the bolt and the metal bits that fit in the bolt.

Neither have magazines; that's going to be a problem to solve.

So.............................I now have a pattern of the firing pin to complete the first one. And I have to replicate all the parts the Model 16 is missing from the bolt, and it is also missing the safety. NO parts are available anywhere I've looked.

orphans_zpskmdxrwzz.jpg

Did you order a carry handle for your model 16 to complete the ugliness? I have one on mine. It looks scary from a distance but up close most people just laugh.
    :rotflmao:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk wrote: »
    Did you order a carry handle for your model 16 to complete the ugliness? I have one on mine. It looks scary from a distance but up close most people just laugh.
    :rotflmao:

Nope. No carry handle. I'm going to put a decent rear sight on it, and figure out something for the front sight. Been looking at the Mod. 16, and I think that I can make it work with a regular magazine with a bit of fabrication of some parts/pieces to hold it in place properly. I ordered 2 magazines with the other parts; mags are expen$ive for those things. While I'm waiting on the parts I think I'll strip both stocks and refinish them, and fix some of the stuff the idiot did to butcher the 16. I think he might have been smoking crack/meth when he was working on it.

As an aside, it beats the devil how someone can take apart something like that and LOSE ALL/SOME/MOST OF THE PARTS! That takes some serious absentmindedness to accomplish. I've launched a few springs in low Earth orbit, and had a screw or detent ball go walkabout, but never the whole internals. That takes an extra special kind of stupid.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,755 Senior Member
    LOTS of parts listed on e bay!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    LOTS of parts listed on e bay!!

Thanks. Al. Looks like Numrich had everything I needed so I'm good on parts, for now. I got a big "box 'o' sights" that I looked through a little while ago while I was munchin' on a ham and cheese sammich. I think I got the sights thing covered for the Mod. 16. An AR 15 pistol grip can be modified to replace the one a dog chewed up. Mounting slot has to be widened a bit to make it fit. I gots a table top mill and cutters to make that happen.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I :love: crazy project guns :tooth:

Me, too, two, to, 2, tu, also. I probably spent enough on parts with Numrich to equal the cost of both of them when they were brand new. And about half that cost was two 15 shot magazines. Doesn't matter as both will be staying with me. Need to look at the usual parts supplier suspects and see if they have a front and rear sight similar to the M1 carbine that will fit a 3/8" dovetail on the rear, and a front that I can modify. Make it an M1Forgery as it were. If not I know I can modify AR 15 sights to fit it. And just by happenstance, I have several iterations of those on hand.

At any rate, it's something to do this summer. No deadline to get them done, so I can take my time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

If you have an old electric toothbrush, or about $10 Mad Money lying around to buy one at WallyWorld, an electric toothbrush makes an EXCELLENT tool for dislodging crud in hard to reach places in firearms. Especially on .22 rimfires. That fast moving brush dislodges the stuff fast, and the nylon bristles don't scratch up stuff. Some solvent and an electric toothbrush is right handy to have around. Just don't forget and confuse it with the one you use to brush your teeth! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    You're a very compassionate man. Good luck!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    On the third round of finish stripper on the red Mod 20 stock. Most is gone, but there are some places where that nasty finish is hanging on like a tick on a dog's back. The finish on the Mod 16 came off after the second application of the finish stripper. Looks like some nice wood underneath all that mess. It will need some light sanding to get it back to a smooth finish. Someone did some sanding with 80-100 grit paper on the right side and it needs to be smoothed down.

Gonna let both dry out overnight and hit both with mineral spirits and a nylon brush tomorrow to get some of the crud/finish out. Both stocks look like they were inleted by a beaver with dull teeth, and the beaver and the person operating it were both drunk on cheap beer. I see some epoxy filler in the future of both stocks.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Got the second coat of Tru-Oil on the stocks. The red one has plain wood grain, but after getting the old dark finish off it, it's looking pretty good. Not much hope for that faux AR looking stock, though; it's just too rough to look good. But the Tru-Oil is making it look a LOT better. I've got a hunk of nylon flat stock on order to make a 'magazine holder' for the standard magazine. I'm thinking of putting in an AR magazine release on it, just for kicks.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Last coat of Tru-Oil applied this afternoon. Gonna let them sit and dry for a couple or three days and then buff them out. The 'red' wood stock looks really good with the Tru-Oil finish on it, and that light colored stocks looks improved considerably.

The black 1" thick Starboard polyethylene I ordered for filler for the mag well on the model 16 should be here shortly. Starboard is tough stuff and is used a lot in the marine industry. I ordered enough of it to replace the transom board where the motor clamps on my boat while I'm at it. It's WAY better than any wood for that purpose.

Starting on cleaning up the actions/barrels tomorrow and getting the parts installed on them.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Always good to fix up the boat well yer fixing up the rifles!:tooth:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Always good to fix up the boat well yer fixing up the rifles!:tooth:

I need to mount a swivel gun on the boat. You know, for jet skis and such. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    FINALLY got the magazine catch installed on the Model 16 today. Original magazine is WAY too expensive for this thing; costs as much as a new one cost back then when it was made. It doesn't need that stupidity anyway. My Sailor's Book was referenced repeatedly during the fitting of the mag catch.

Three more jobs, and that is 1. making a bedding stud to replace the stupid wood screw at the rear trigger guard hole; it's stripped out. 2. Milling out the AR 15 handle mounting slot (cost $5) to replace the dog chewed one. Replacement with a used one is more than twice that. 3. Make bolt handles for both rifles.

The Model 20 needs the bolt removed so I can find out what the bolt is dragging on. SOMETHING is interfering with the bolt returning to battery, and it sure as Hades isn't the bolt recoil spring! That thing is strong.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Here's a picture of them taken apart before I started.

― Douglas Adams
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Those have a face only a gun nut could love <3<3
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    I just know they will be back to good as new or better.
    Some like to restore cars we see the beauty in all guns & will spend time & money to bring them back to a thing of beauty.
    Keep us posted on the progress.

They both look FAR better now. The stocks on both have been stripped and refinished with oil and I have both actions mostly complete. I'm not replacing the safety on the Model 16, or at least not contemplating it right now. I have the parts, but it really doesn't need one, at least a tang safety one. May do a trigger block safety for it; not like there's not just gobs of room in that big square trigger guard hole!

I have the carry handle for the model 16 but I took one look at it and said 'NOPE'. It's gonna get a scope on it, or a red dot of some kind.

Working on old stuff like this keeps me out of mischief...............................mostly.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    Rescues of anything is satisfying. I have done juke boxes ,pinball machines ,toys, guns , antiques. Each ting is different & has it's own learning curve. If it pushes your skill level  to a higher level it really is rewarding. The pay off is when someone looks at it & goes WOW
    I want to buy that & they actually hand you the cash ! Usually the money just covers the cost of materials .  That gives you cash flow to save more things. You have to luv the work to be doing it for free.
    I like working on stuff and bringing it back to functional condition. These two were basket cases when I got them, and missing a LOT of parts. I've been sitting here for two days doping out the available means to deal with the stripped out wood screw hole, and making a mounting stud imbedded in the stock. Changed my mind about three or four times before I finally locked in how I'm going to do it. Going to pick up the parts tomorrow in Knoxville as I have to get the Toy Yoda truck serviced, and that's where I go to get that done. And there are gun shops and pawn shops to visit up there, too. No telling what I might find that goes 'pew, pew, pew'.
    ― Douglas Adams