Like salt to a wound!

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,458 Senior Member
Not only did La Raza fail miserably getting MLB to yank the All-Star Game from AZ (after spending a fortune on protests at games last year), then numerous Latino players who promised to boycott the games went and backed out on their word.

Enter salt to said wound, Sheriff Joe is going to be out this weekend with chain gangs of illegals picking up trash in front of the stadium!

http://www.examiner.com/immigration-reform-in-national/sheriff-joe-arpaio-will-have-illegal-alien-chain-gangs-at-mlb-all-star-game
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Well in my opinion it ain't going to hurt them guys to do some manual labor for their crimes, Its better they do that than sit around in an Ivory Tower, with color TV and pool tables, and swimming pools,etc. etc. Isn't a sentence supposed to be a restitution and repayment for one's crime against society? I think so.... Maybe some of these folks will get a new point of view,by the time they are released, and give up their criminal caarer. Who knows? I know this; a long time ago in North Carolina that state actually had a chain gang, and what this folks did, was go out every day weather permitting and provide the labor for paving the Sate roads, in that state and thats one reason why North Carolina had the best darn roads of any of our 50 states, Now I don't know if NC still does that or not, I haven't live there since 1987. Also NC had county work farms, some were sentenced too... In this case one would work the farms that provieded the food for the public school lunches, and such, thats why when I was in elementary school in the 1960's we could get a hot cooked lunch from the cafetirera for only .25 cents. thats right .25 cents, with 1/2 pint of milk....... I don't know if this is still in place but it seems to me that if more states would make effecient use of this "Free Labor Source" they have, instead of letting these folks just sit around then some of these state would not be it the Red in their state budgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Sheriff Joe ROCKS!!:cool2:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    Hoo Rah for Sheriff Joe Ar-Pai-O
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Well in my opinion it ain't going to hurt them guys to do some manual labor for their crimes, Its better they do that than sit around in an Ivory Tower, with color TV and pool tables, and swimming pools,etc. etc. Isn't a sentence supposed to be a restitution and repayment for one's crime against society? I think so.... Maybe some of these folks will get a new point of view,by the time they are released, and give up their criminal caarer. Who knows? I know this; a long time ago in North Carolina that state actually had a chain gang, and what this folks did, was go out every day weather permitting and provide the labor for paving the Sate roads, in that state and thats one reason why North Carolina had the best darn roads of any of our 50 states, Now I don't know if NC still does that or not, I haven't live there since 1987. Also NC had county work farms, some were sentenced too... In this case one would work the farms that provieded the food for the public school lunches, and such, thats why when I was in elementary school in the 1960's we could get a hot cooked lunch from the cafetirera for only .25 cents. thats right .25 cents, with 1/2 pint of milk....... I don't know if this is still in place but it seems to me that if more states would make effecient use of this "Free Labor Source" they have, instead of letting these folks just sit around then some of these state would not be it the Red in their state budgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few comments here. Sheriff Joe keeps most prisoners out in the desert in tents in pink underwear. If you've ever been to AZ in the summer you'll know that's not camping trip! No "Ivory Tower" there. I don't know which prisons you've seen that have pool tables and swimming pools?

As for using prison labor I'm torn on that. Obviously it could help with state budgets to a degree, depending on what you can get them to do. Then again I don't know you can make them work. Maybe if you give time off or pay or better food/cells, or something, but I can't see most people in prison working very hard out of the goodness of their heart. The bigger problem is that it sets up perverse incentives. The state's goal should to be to minimize crime and minimize the number of prisoners in their system because they cost the state money. This also should create the incentive to rehabilitate rather than simply lock up prisoners. If the state is allowed to utilize their prisoners as a slave labor force (which is literally what you'd be doing) you may actually reverse the incentives to the point that it increases the incentives to lock people up for any petty crime. To a degree this reversal of incentives is already happening with the growth of private prisons who make billions of dollars and spend a good chunk of their profits lobbying politicians to strengthen laws and increase sentences so they can make more money. Political economy is all about incentives and if you set up the wrong incentives you're all but garanteed to get the wrong results.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    I don't know you can make them work. Maybe if you give time off or pay or better food/cells, or something, but I can't see most people in prison working very hard out of the goodness of their heart.

Here's an incentive even the laziest, most ignorant inmate should be able to understand:

"If anyone will not work, neither let him eat"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Here's an incentive even the laziest, most ignorant inmate should be able to understand:

"If anyone will not work, neither let him eat"

Jerry
    Sounds fair to me................Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    Sheriff Joe has reconsidered and will deploy the chain gang after the game. As to his treatment of prisoners, I can't find much fault. Tents are cheap, as is razor wire. Extensive use of both should reduce the cost of incarceration, and be a strong incentive to avoid returning to Tent City.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
    Sheriff Joe has reconsidered and will deploy the chain gang after the game. As to his treatment of prisoners, I can't find much fault. Tents are cheap, as is razor wire. Extensive use of both should reduce the cost of incarceration, and be a strong incentive to avoid returning to Tent City.

I think the inmates get a menu choice also- - - - -either peanut butter or bologna sandwiches. His food cost is slightly over two dollars a day for them. He's got a great philosophy- - - - -"If you don't like the accomodations, don't do anything to get put in jail!"
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    Then again I don't know you can make them work. Maybe if you give time off or pay or better food/cells, or something, but I can't see most people in prison working very hard out of the goodness of their heart
    Believe it or not....working outside the prison, lets say trash pick-up or some kind of highway project is a privilege for prisoners who qualify for the jobs as a result of good behavior. Sure beats being in a cell all day.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member
    Just a thought here, but here's my problem with prison labor for, basically anything: it usually undercuts private industry, sometimes by a whole lot. I understand the need for municipalities to save money, and how using prison labor does save money.

On the other hand, the prisons can provide that labor to the municipality at a rate that private industry can't compete with, thereby depriving the private industry of jobs.

I can also say that working in gov., you don't want to get office furniture made by prisoners. It's less expensive, because it's generally CHEAP. Not in price, but in how well it's made.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Just a thought here, but here's my problem with prison labor for, basically anything: it usually undercuts private industry, sometimes by a whole lot. I understand the need for municipalities to save money, and how using prison labor does save money.

On the other hand, the prisons can provide that labor to the municipality at a rate that private industry can't compete with, thereby depriving the private industry of jobs.

I can also say that working in gov., you don't want to get office furniture made by prisoners. It's less expensive, because it's generally CHEAP. Not in price, but in how well it's made.

I'm working on being more concise:

I'm against slave labor of all kinds.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I'm working on being more concise:

I'm against slave labor of all kinds.
    Then don't become a slave.............don't play bad guy if ya can't pay the cost.............simple.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member
    But prison labor is not (necessarily) slave labor: as Make_My_Day said, it's generally a privilege. Same with working in the woodshop.

That still doesn't stop the products from being substandard, and being much lower in price when compared to public industry.
    Overkill is underrated.
    If they didn't have workshops of some sort inside the walls, how would they make the shanks to stab each other with?
    Jerry