Home Main Category General Firearms

Form 1 builds and the "Hearing Protection Act"

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,850 Senior Member
Just wondering. What is going to happen with, what are now, Form 1 suppressor builds if the HPA passes?

Will they become like the 80% receivers, where you buy, make what you need and go fourth and be happy? Or will "they" add some stipulation where you have to go through a dealer and fill out some sort of paperwork so that "Uncle Sam" and cousin batfeieio know you have it?

Thoughts?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    In theory they should become just another firearm, subject to federal and local law.
    But what about making your own?

I have a completed 80% receiver which, as we all know, is completely legal. If the HPA passes, can I build a suppressor the same way?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,286 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    But what about making your own?

I have a completed 80% receiver which, as we all know, is completely legal. If the HPA passes, can I build a suppressor the same way?

I doubt they've thought that one out. Non firearms people making legislation/laws on firearms can be full of things not thought about. But, if suppressors are treated as a firearm for the purposes of the bill, then in a perfect world, they should be legal for someone to build just like it is legal to build any other firearm. The bill will take suppressors off the NFA, but if passed, Congress will again abdicate their job of making law and let the BATFEIEIO make the 'rules' governing them. THAT is where the problem will be made either like any other firearm, or they will make you jump through some paperwork hoops to 'roll your own'.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    My understanding is that it will be like an 80% gun. Build it at home for your own use. Anyone with a vise and a drill press should be able to build a functioning suppressor for just a few dollars in parts.

And yes... I am REALLY looking forward to that. I plan to have suppressors on just about everything I own at that point
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Just wondering. What is going to happen with, what are now, Form 1 suppressor builds if the HPA passes?

Will they become like the 80% receivers, where you buy, make what you need and go fourth and be happy? Or will "they" add some stipulation where you have to go through a dealer and fill out some sort of paperwork so that "Uncle Sam" and cousin batfeieio know you have it?

Thoughts?

Not trying to be inconsiderate, but just don't worry and move on with your build if you're planning one. The HPA is years away and maybe butchered aplenty before it passes, if it does.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Not trying to be inconsiderate, but just don't worry and move on with your build if you're planning one.
    Oh, I am. Just got my Trust paperwork today.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Not trying to be inconsiderate, but just don't worry and move on with your build if you're planning one. The HPA is years away and maybe butchered aplenty before it passes, if it does.

Unfortunately, the new regulations for trusts has kind of screwed those of us that put minor children on our trusts. Thought I was being smart where the kiddo would not have to pay the tax when I die. I'll have to rework my trust, or come up with a second one to build my next can.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the new regulations for trusts has kind of screwed those of us that put minor children on our trusts. Thought I was being smart where the kiddo would not have to pay the tax when I die. I'll have to rework my trust, or come up with a second one to build my next can.

Yes, my trust complicates things too much for me. I'll be doing a Form 4 in my name for any future NFA items I may purchase.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers