Home Main Category General Firearms

Walked out of the LGS with a a Sig P320 in 9mm

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,002 Senior Member
After being favorably impressed with the rental I shot last week, I went ahead and bought the 9mm version of the Sig P320 Compact, Flat Dark Earth finish with night sights, from my new LGS this afternoon. The range gave me a good price and threw in an unlimited range session with as many free targets as I needed as a "thank you" for the buy. Thankfully, it wasn't blazing hot today, so the externally vented indoor range was much more comfortable this time. I really enjoyed the time and also got to shoot my Kimber Custom II .45 ACP and SW22 Victory .22LR pistol.

D342C677-344B-4589-93CF-72CB8681E6CF_zps4ex5ivpl.jpg

I am pleased to report that the new one that I bought shot as good as the rental sample. This was using super cheap aluminum-cased Federal ammo that my wife was sweet enough to buy for me from Walmart when she saw it on sale. It just needed an ever so slight rear sight drift (about 1/4" at 7 meters equivalent) to the left to marry POI to POA, which the range also did for free as a customer courtesy. It's now dead-on for all practical ranges and ready to go.

It's gonna be fun practicing for qual over the next few years waiting for the military acquisition loop to close!
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    :yousuck:

I like it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    As always :yousuck:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's the model to replace the M9 Beretta???:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, don't drop it in the sand :tooth:

Congrats :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Nice. I looked at one at my LGS, and it felt OK, but just didn't grab me. I'm interested to see your impressions of it going forward.

I told the guys if they got Lena Miculek to give me some instruction on it............
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,171 Senior Member
    I held the longer slide version last week. It didn't feel bad. Trigger seemed alright. Overall, I wouldn't throw it away if someone gave it to me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Show up at a match she shooting at and i' m sure she will. One of the few pros that does not have a giant head full of their wonderfullness.

I think we all saw this purchase coming :). Congrats.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,002 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    That's the model to replace the M9 Beretta???:uhm:

That is correct...sort of.

This time around, the M9 will be replaced by one of two pistols, both of which are P320 variants: either the M17 (full size version) or the M18 (compact cersion that I bought). In my opinion, this is a way better solution that accomodates more user types without creating a "similar but different" nightmare like we saw with the F-35 aircraft acquisition.

In this case, the parts are all interchangeable with the firing group. It's literally a drop-in fit with no gunsmithing required to convert a compact to a full size and vice versa.
    Zee wrote: »
    I held the longer slide version last week. It didn't feel bad. Trigger seemed alright. Overall, I wouldn't throw it away if someone gave it to me.

At the end of the day, it's a striker-fired DAO, and if there's any format prone to love/hate with the various versions based on individual preference, this is the one. For me, it was as good an excuse as any to buy a gun since we'll have to train with it eventually no matter what. That, and it shot pretty danged well.
    Thanks! The guns of your namesake do pretty well by me.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,552 Senior Member
    My first thought when I saw this thread's title was, "Well, I hope he paid for it":rotflmao:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    After being favorably impressed with the rental I shot last week, I went ahead and bought the 9mm version of the Sig P320 Compact, Flat Dark Earth finish with night sights, from my new LGS this afternoon.
    Then the bolded part affirmed my thought that you probably did, so...

:yousuck::
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,467 Senior Member
    Welcome to the 21st Century! Great gun, like all SIGs.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    Congratulations, that is one fine handgun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,646 Senior Member
    Do you intend to CC it? I'm interested to see your thoughts on it. I keep see-sawing between a G19 and a P320c for carry.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Do you intend to CC it? I'm interested to see your thoughts on it. I keep see-sawing between a G19 and a P320c for carry.

Truthfully, I had no intention to carry this piece and only sought to train with it. That said, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't. It's small enough for me to consider, for sure. The only downed of this buy is that the gun includes a holster, but it's wrong (right) handed for me. I called Sig to see if a lefty version was available l, but there isn't. Of couse, I can always look third party on that front. If I do find a carry holster that works, I'll let you know how it does.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,646 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Truthfully, I had no intention to carry this piece and only sought to train with it. That said, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't. It's small enough for me to consider, for sure. The only downed of this buy is that the gun includes a holster, but it's wrong (right) handed for me. I called Sig to see if a lefty version was available l, but there isn't. Of couse, I can always look third party on that front. If I do find a carry holster that works, I'll let you know how it does.

Gotcha.

I too will ultimately get a P320 of some stripe to train with, but I'm waiting for Sig to sell M17 marked/configured models to the public. I'm in no hurry, it will be YEARS before I'm issued one.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Good hustle! And you suck!
    Welcome back to Nebraska!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,539 Senior Member
    I like the look, but have never been enamored with SIG handguns. That said, you suck anyway, 'cuz it's a new gun!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Nice! :yousuck:

Keep us in the loop re: how it works out for you. I know its "just another" plastic gun but that one is one I don't see all that often, maybe that will change after the Army rolls it out.
    I can definitely do that. So far, it's working great with 115 gr. handloads and cheap, aluminum-cased Federal bulk ammo. No hiccups. I'd say that's a good start.

As an aside, a buddy of mine is working Air Force testing for the P320 mil-spec at AFOTEC (Air Force Operational Test Center). Sounds like it's doing great overall, and only needing some minor tweaking to the sear to make it survive the drop testing. Bear in mind that an ejection seat hits about 20G on the way out. The drop test subjects the gun to more than double that stress, and the gun is doing great.