Ruger 10/22 Lite (Model 21152)

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,226 Senior Member
Couple of friends of mine got one of this recently arrived rifles each. Took them to a local range for a match but before that I was able to test one of them in another place before they performed trigger jobs.

Years ago I had a plain Jane 10/22; got it as plinker and small-game hunter 'cause what I really was looking for (A CZ 452 Trainer) wasn't available at the time and I couldn't wait until the local importer brought them back again. Mine was 100% factory with only a 3-9x40mm. Tasco scope on it, and accuracy was never close to my expectations (I was using bulk ammo but so was my hunting buddy in his old Manufrance Reina and his groups were 1/2 mine under same conditions), so ended up selling it and buying an used but very nice 452.

Had tested the 10/22 Target before, but despite his noticeable better out-of-the box accuracy, considered them impractical for other use than bench plinking or prone target shooting due to its comparatively bigger size and weight (We usually hunt in steep, rocky mountain terrain here, sometimes in "aerial engines" height).

But now I handled these, shooting SK "bulk" prone with bipod and with Nikon scope @ 55 yards:

I was quite surprised with what this stock rifle could do considering my past experience. Pretty much the same as a Target model, but with a shorter, handier barrel (Can't say if there's a noticeable difference regarding the weight among these 2 models); not light enough for hunting here IMO, but better than the other.

When my friends shot them the next day after tinkering with the trigger (Lightly polishing a few contact surfaces basically), the rifles were doing this "best and worst" 5-shot groups @ 55 yards with SK "bulk":

At least for me, pretty impressive. Won't rush to buy one, but glad to see a factory 10/22 performing so good without having to drop 1000 bucks in aftermarket parts in it.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Pretty good from what apear to be portable wood benches. My 10/22 aint as good. At least not with me on the trigger.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,098 Senior Member
    That is good shootin from any .22 rifle, especially the group in the left pic. 10/22s can be accurate shooters usually after some work/aftermarket parts and the right shooter and ammo one likes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,098 Senior Member
    If I ever buy another 10/22 of any flavor (I've owned a couple over the years) the first thing I probably would do is buy one of the Ruger made aftermarket triggers that are down to $50-60 bucks on sale.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,226 Senior Member
    Good shooting indeed...best group was made by a guy who has been a competitive Olympic rimfire & air target shooter, so he has all the experience for top performance.

Trigger job or an aftermarket kit is mandatory for the 10/22s if you're looking for such accuracy; otherwise with only a little tweaking (Or plain luck if rifle's accurate out-of-the-box) you can get decent plinking and hunting results. Of course if the shooter is decent enough at his job, good ammo and optics help a lot too.